IGNORED

Bafetimbi Gomis

Guest efctaxi

Guest efctaxi

High time we stopped worrying about money .

Hasn't stopped DM in the past , and it won't stop him now . I expect something to happen before the Liverpool games :party:

Guest efctaxi
Stop worrying about money when clubs actually want money for the players we're after? Seriously?

Ofcourse :)

He'll get someone , or he won't ....... nothing we can do about it ... so why worry ?

I happen to have an optimistic outlook :D

Go Miss by name, Go Miss by nature. From what I've seen of him anyway. Only really got a good look at him during the the euros, and he was utter shite. lazy, unconvicing and far from clinical in front of goal. Basically, The Yak when he's off, and I haven't heard anyone rave about Gomis since so I'm guessing nothings changed.

Guest efctaxi
Go Miss by name, Go Miss by nature. From what I've seen of him anyway. Only really got a good look at him during the the euros, and he was utter shite. lazy, unconvicing and far from clinical in front of goal. Basically, The Yak when he's off, and I haven't heard anyone rave about Gomis since so I'm guessing nothings changed.

Like I said earlier , I don't know much about him , but these goals in the Euro looked pretty good to me :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zHJgPZvjBWw

Edited by efctaxi

He was off colour in the euro's but don't let that mislead you. If you where to go by just seeing a player in euro's than Milan Baros would be one of the world greats! but he clearly isn't.

We bought Bakayoko on the back of a video of his "greatest clips" and he turned out to be less than Pele, and I'm always wary of players that come straight from the French league as I, personally, don't think it's strong enough.

Plus, if they want a fee, as is widely mentioned unlikely.

I noticed earlier that Landon Donovan has gone to Bayern Munich. seeing as their league has finished, and he and Beckham have come over to Europe for a few months is there anything decent in that league we could nab on loan? Or is Brian McBride as good as it gets??!?!?!

We bought Bakayoko on the back of a video of his "greatest clips" and he turned out to be less than Pele, and I'm always wary of players that come straight from the French league as I, personally, don't think it's strong enough.

I noticed earlier that Landon Donovan has gone to Bayern Munich. seeing as their league has finished, and he and Beckham have come over to Europe for a few months is there anything decent in that league we could nab on loan? Or is Brian McBride as good as it gets??!?!?!

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that if we are looking at Gomis it will be more than just looking at YouTube clips. Also stating that players can't make the jump from French to English Leagues.... Drogba, Essien, just to name two recent ones.. Sure you get players like Bakayoko or Malouda but you can't over generalise that players from the french league won't make the step up.

Secondly, as for players we could get from MLS. How about Darren Huckerby? ;)

Cahill would be the top striker in MLS, heck Tony Hibbert would be a top 5 striker in MLS.

Honestly I'm not in favor of Gomis for a loan signing; he would take the entire period just getting adjusted to the physicality of the game.

Guest efctaxi

How anyone can dismiss French players is mistifying .

Take a look at French players who have had great success in our leagues .

Have we forgotten the legendary Eric Cantona , or Didier Drogba ?

Here is a list ( out of date but so what ) of French players who have had careers here , and we can add some on top to bring it up to date

Arsenal (5) Gilles Grimandi, defender/midfielder; Thierry Henry, forward; Robert Pires, midfielder; Patrick Vieira, midfielder; Sylvain Wiltord, forward

Aston Villa (1) David Ginola, midfielder

Chelsea (3) Marcel Desailly, defender; William Gallas, defender; Emmanuel Petit, midfielder

Fulham (5) Alain Goma, defender; Sylvain Legwinski, midfielder; Steed Malbranque, midfielder; Steve Marlet, forward; Louis Saha, forward

Liverpool (3) Pegguy Arphexad, goalkeeper; Bernard Diomede, midfielder; Gregory Vignal, defender

Manchester United (3) Fabien Barthez, goalkeeper; Laurent Blanc, defender; Mikael Silvestre, defender

Newcastle United (3) Olivier Bernard, defender; Sylvain Distin, defender; Laurent Robert, midfielder

Sunderland (1) Lilian Laslandes, forward

Tottenham Hotspur (1) Yannick Kamanan, forward

West Ham United (3) Laurent Courtois, midfielder; Frédéric Kanouté, forward; Sebastien Schemmel, defender

Man City (2) Alioune Toure, forward; Laurent Charvet, defender

Birmingham (2) Mickael Sabathier, midfielder; Tresor Luntala, midfielder

Ipswich Town (1) Ulrich Le Pen, midfielder

Derby County (2) Francois Grenet, defender; Youl Mawene, defender

Leeds United (1) Olivier Dacourt, midfielder

Burnley (1) Arthur Gnohere, defender

Millwall (1) Willy Gueret, goalkeeper

Norwich City (1) Marc Libbra, forward

Nott'm Forest (2) Matthieu Louis-Jean, defender; Uliano Courville, midfielder

Sheffield United (1) Laurent D'Jaffo, forward

Walsall (1) Frederick Biancalani, defender

Watford (1) Patrick Blondeau, defender

Wolves (1) Ludovic Pollet, defender

Bournemouth (1) Pascal Tetu, midfielder

Cambridge United (1) Lionel Perez, goalkeeper

Colchester (1) Thomas Pinault, midfielder

QPR (2) Alexandre Bonnot, midfielder Ebeli M'bombo, forward

Swindon (1) Eric Sabin, forward

Darlington (1) Alexandre Jeannin, defender

Exeter City (1) Cherif Diallo, forward

Kidderminster Harriers (1) Parfait Medou-Otye, defender

Luton Town (1) Jean-Louis Valois, forward

Plymouth Argyle (2) David Friio, midfielder; Romain Larrieu, goalkeeper

Swansea city (2) David Romo, midfielder; Mamady Sidibe, midfielder

Although the above list is well out of date , it highlights players who have had careers here , and some of them have been top of the tree .

Add to it French players who are currently playing premiership football , and there is no mistake that French players can make it here , if not , like some have done , become actual stars of the premiership :)

I said I was wary of players coming straight from the French league, I did not dismiss them out of hand. As pointed out, Essien and Drogba have been successful acquisitions.

As for the list of every French players that's ever played in the French league how many of them played their best football at their first club over here/ immediately? Also, quite a lot of names on that list I would not say have shone at all over here. From that list; Cantona played his best football at Man U after playing at Leeds (granted he was great there also), most of the other highlighted names came from other leagues, not straight from the French league.

Regardless of the fact, we don't have any dollar anyway so it's not going to happen unless on loan. Which I personally would far prefer as that way if he turns out to be more Bakayoko than Drogba they can have him back.

As for not buying players based on YouTube clips... it's happened before, maybe if we saved the EasyJet flights to go and see him we could afford to pay him for an extra 5 minutes?!?!?!? :lol:

Watching the MLS once in a while I'd say there isn't much there. The one decent prospect, Josie Altador, has gone off to spain. There is one player who is very anxious to get out but was blocked last year by his club, Taylor Twellman. Personally I hate him and think he's a twat, but he seems to score, decent in the air. Was injured for a good bit of last season, though on a 6 month loan might not be the worst of the pick, wouldn't be long term at all though as he must be 29 by now.

Or we could just go in for Quatemoc Blanco...

How anyone can dismiss French players is mistifying .

Take a look at French players who have had great success in our leagues .

Have we forgotten the legendary Eric Cantona , or Didier Drogba ?

Here is a list ( out of date but so what ) of French players who have had careers here , and we can add some on top to bring it up to date

Arsenal (5) Gilles Grimandi, defender/midfielder; Thierry Henry, forward; Robert Pires, midfielder; Patrick Vieira, midfielder; Sylvain Wiltord, forward

Aston Villa (1) David Ginola, midfielder

Chelsea (3) Marcel Desailly, defender; William Gallas, defender; Emmanuel Petit, midfielder

Fulham (5) Alain Goma, defender; Sylvain Legwinski, midfielder; Steed Malbranque, midfielder; Steve Marlet, forward; Louis Saha, forward

Liverpool (3) Pegguy Arphexad, goalkeeper; Bernard Diomede, midfielder; Gregory Vignal, defender

Manchester United (3) Fabien Barthez, goalkeeper; Laurent Blanc, defender; Mikael Silvestre, defender

Newcastle United (3) Olivier Bernard, defender; Sylvain Distin, defender; Laurent Robert, midfielder

Sunderland (1) Lilian Laslandes, forward

Tottenham Hotspur (1) Yannick Kamanan, forward

West Ham United (3) Laurent Courtois, midfielder; Frédéric Kanouté, forward; Sebastien Schemmel, defender

Man City (2) Alioune Toure, forward; Laurent Charvet, defender

Birmingham (2) Mickael Sabathier, midfielder; Tresor Luntala, midfielder

Ipswich Town (1) Ulrich Le Pen, midfielder

Derby County (2) Francois Grenet, defender; Youl Mawene, defender

Leeds United (1) Olivier Dacourt, midfielder

Burnley (1) Arthur Gnohere, defender

Millwall (1) Willy Gueret, goalkeeper

Norwich City (1) Marc Libbra, forward

Nott'm Forest (2) Matthieu Louis-Jean, defender; Uliano Courville, midfielder

Sheffield United (1) Laurent D'Jaffo, forward

Walsall (1) Frederick Biancalani, defender

Watford (1) Patrick Blondeau, defender

Wolves (1) Ludovic Pollet, defender

Bournemouth (1) Pascal Tetu, midfielder

Cambridge United (1) Lionel Perez, goalkeeper

Colchester (1) Thomas Pinault, midfielder

QPR (2) Alexandre Bonnot, midfielder Ebeli M'bombo, forward

Swindon (1) Eric Sabin, forward

Darlington (1) Alexandre Jeannin, defender

Exeter City (1) Cherif Diallo, forward

Kidderminster Harriers (1) Parfait Medou-Otye, defender

Luton Town (1) Jean-Louis Valois, forward

Plymouth Argyle (2) David Friio, midfielder; Romain Larrieu, goalkeeper

Swansea city (2) David Romo, midfielder; Mamady Sidibe, midfielder

Although the above list is well out of date , it highlights players who have had careers here , and some of them have been top of the tree .

Add to it French players who are currently playing premiership football , and there is no mistake that French players can make it here , if not , like some have done , become actual stars of the premiership :)

among all those players... how could you forget our own Mickael Madar! played for us in the 97/98 campaign.

and also we've had Ginola in our squad.. when was that? and now we have Louis Saha.. that should make three!:)

have I forgot someone?

Guest efctaxi
among all those players... how could you forget our own Mickael Madar! played for us in the 97/98 campaign.

and also we've had Ginola in our squad.. when was that? and now we have Louis Saha.. that should make three!:)

have I forgot someone?

Lol .

There are loads of names that aren't in the above list , though Ginola and Saha are . Remember it's not my list . I'm not that clever :)

As for Madar , can't remember him to be honest , though he apparantly only played in 19 games during the 2 years he was here .

• 5 years later...

A link in the Daily Mail today. Newcastle tried to sign him last year but the deal dragged on amid accusations that the goalposts kept being moved, but with six months left on his contract he's supposedly available on the cheap:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2548103/TRANSFER-COLUMN-PART-II-Everton-target-Gomis-Lukaku-injury-West-Brom-Sunderland-join-race-McCormack.html

A link in the Daily Mail today. Newcastle tried to sign him last year but the deal dragged on amid accusations that the goalposts kept being moved, but with six months left on his contract he's supposedly available on the cheap:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2548103/TRANSFER-COLUMN-PART-II-Everton-target-Gomis-Lukaku-injury-West-Brom-Sunderland-join-race-McCormack.html

6 months left on the contract? This one might be worth looking at.

Guest blueboy122

Unsure on this one.

I would rather we just saved our money for the summer instead of plugging the gaps for the time being. He wouldn't come cheap on wages.

Can't we just play Vellios as the back up striker whilst Lukaku is out.....

we have no idea on his ability, only his attitude.

On Gomis, I've no idea because I've never heard of him

Ive seen him play football enough times to be able to say I dont rate his ability. He had a few decent games coming off the bench a while back but was then piss poor and completely ineffective when he started games. Since then he has gone down hill

Moyes wouldnt give him a look in and now Martinez is doing the same, got to be something in that