IGNORED

Manchester United (away)

dark

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

last 3 games its like we have had no one there. needs to be in the middle.

Things might pick up when Jo comes. Cahill back into midfield with Jo up front. We competed but we never threatened them at all. As an attacking force we were shite, only Pienaar and Baines did anything to take us forward. It was just one game too far for our side but hopefully we can pick it back up on Wednesday. Manure are a completely different proposition to any team we've faced lately and it showed. Not a huge loss I suppose, but we should have taken the draw and our defense did enough again to earn it.

Edited by dark

We were out of gas, simple as. I think I saw this coming and some others probably did too. All of our big players went into this game carrying injuries, we didn't bring anyone in to change it up. I really felt Moyes needed to make changes from the 50th minute or so, we needed to take the game to them and didn't have the people on the pitch to do it. Thought Gosling and Anichebe should have come on earlier and thought VDM should have come on for one of the wingers from 75 or so.

Not a huge loss I suppose, but we should have taken the draw and our defense did enough again to earn it.

We competed but we never threatened them at all. As an attacking force we were shite, only Pienaar and Baines did anything to take us forward. It was just one game too far for our side but hopefully we can pick it back up on Wednesday. Manure are a completely different proposition to any team we've faced lately and it showed.

Howard - Brilliant performance. I just wish he was a decent GK for penalty's :(.

Hibbert - That's the best game I've seen him play. I thought he was very good. I can't remember him being caught out of position and he made a few brillaint tackles.

Jagielka - Once again, a rock. We were under a lot of pressure at times and he dealt with everything that came his way.

Lescott - Same as Jags. Their partnership is looking quite formidable.

Baines - Brilliant going forward and looked pretty good defensively as well. His crossing was off but at least he was trying to attack unlike a lot of our side.

Osman - Passenger. And with our lack of numbers we can't afford that.

Arteta - Another big game where he goes missing. It's simply not good enough.

Fellaini - Not a bad game by him but not a good game either. He broke up play a few times but it was a bit of a nothingy performance tbh.

Neville - Of our central midfielders he was the better. I thought he did his job very well.

Pienaar - My MOTM. He ran his arse off as he does every single game. He was our only midfielder to add anything going forward and was always looking for the ball. His link up play with Baines is looking good. Hopefully they keep it up against the shite.

Cahill - Probably the poorest performance he's given for us in the past few weeks. To be fair to him he had absolutely nothing to feed off.

It is so unfair to berate the lads that actually played at OT. Unlike others we do not have strength in depth and as a result our stars have to turn it on in every game and that is an unhealthy situation. Both Cahill and Fellaini were carrying injuries, Arteta is struggling with bruised ribs and after the hectic schedule others must be feeling the pace..................it is all to do with playing with a small squad. Some of you will scream that we need more players, of course we do but we have to accept that unless some great philanthropist arrives with over three hundred million to burn that ain't going to happen. I would have much preferred that Moyes had played a weakened team yesterday allowing players to recover a bit and ensuring that they were fitter for the cup replay. We would be extremely fortunate to finish above our present position in the league, unless we fall apart at the seams we should not be caught by any of those below us. We do have a chance to progress in the cup, a chance I feel may have diminished after the exertions at OT.

Psychologically problems with continuing pressures of high tempo games can sap players momentum and confidence, especially having given your all and not won. It will be a problem for Moyes to keep lifting the squad because at some point one or two will wilt and performance levels drop.

These prob;ems are things we blues have had to cope with for years, we are not a mega rich glory buyer, we are a normal football club who have succeeded where others have failed. Please don't start cribbing about a side that has given everything, that makes you unfair. All we can do is lift those same lads to new heights on Wednesday, the deserve our best for the efforts they have made in the last few games.................................do not lose the faith.........................your club needs you..............................COYB

Cristiano Ronaldo's 44th-minute penalty - awarded after Mikel Arteta fouled Michael Carrick - put them five points ahead of Liverpool and Chelsea before they meet at Anfield on Sunday.

And in recording a 12th successive top-flight clean sheet, goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar eclipsed the previous league record of 1,104 minutes without conceding a goal, set by Reading's Steve Death in 1979.

Didn't know that VDS had broken a record. What does everyone think about the result in Liverpool terms? At least United are further ahead at the top.

"Chelsea have kept successive nine clean sheets in the league and haven't conceded a goal for 871 minutes, a Premiership record," says Steve Riordan. "What is the record for the number of consecutive clean sheets/minutes without conceding in English football?

Firstly, it seems only fair to point out that Cech's personal record is even longer than that, since he went 928 minutes without sullying his sheets when at Sparta Prague. To beat the English record, however, he'll have to hold out a little longer. Steve Death terrified strikers so much while in goal for Reading that he managed 11 consecutive clean sheets in 1979, going 1,103 minutes without conceding in all.

However the British record is 1,196 minutes, by former England goalkeeper Chris Woods, playing for Rangers in 1986-87. And the world record - a whopping 1,275 minutes - was set by Abel Resino of Atletico Madrid in 1990-91. Only 404 minutes to go.

Maybe Cech didn't manage quite enough :(

Think the reason Van Der Sars reported as beating Cech's record is maybe it refers to the premiership only, I might be wrong but too lazy to Google. ;)

I think it does apply to Premiership only, the most clean sheets for Petr Cech was 15 or something from his time at Prague.

During the 2004-05 season, Cech went 1,025 minutes without conceding a goal - a former Premier League record until Edwin van der Sar of Manchester United broke it on 27 January 2009.
Edited by dark