IGNORED

Rodwell

Louis

I think that people seem to be forgetting that he is only 17 (not anyone on here) and this is will be his first full season. There is an adage that if you're good enough you're old enough and that certainly applies in Rodwell's case.

His composure on the ball is excellent and some aspects of his game put his elders to shame. I can't help but feel that he is underrated and not receiving the recognition that he deserves - the last few players to break through at 16 have gone on to be regular fixtures for the first team (Rooney, Vaughan, Anichebe) . He's been played as a midfielder and on the right wing (out of position, surely?) when not long ago he was described as a future defender for England and comparisons were being made to Rio Ferdinand at the same age. I think he will be the Everton captain in a few years.

He definitely looks set to be a star for us. I can't see him getting many starts for us this season but in the future he'll probably be one of the first names on the teamsheet. He looks like he'll be able to fill Carsley's boots eventually too. He was very good against Arsenal by the sounds of things, very composed etc.

I hope we can keep hold of him.

I have high hopes for Rodwell. His composure really does belie his age at times. Of course he makes the odd silly mistake, but at his stage of his career its more than understandable. Plus the mistake senior players around him are making it makes him look like a seasoned pro!

As long as he keeps his grounding I think he could be a very good player. I hope he stays and I hope he keeps improving.

As I said elsewhere:

Rodwell, as I have said before, is going to be our gem this season. He is so composed for a player of his age you can just tell is on his way to becoming a massive player, I just hope he continues to stay loyal to Everton and not get tempted away. IMO a better player than Fellaini even at such a young age.

One thing you notice is he is getting a lot of exposure on Everton TV, shows Everton hold him in high regard. Personally I think we will see him in more and more games this season. I think Castillo will become a bench player, which is actually strange as Castillo looked quite good, but I think Rodwell is more favourable.

Would iterate what Louis has already said:

There is an adage that if you're good enough you're old enough and that certainly applies in Rodwell's case.

He definitely looks set to be a star for us. I can't see him getting many starts for us this season but in the future he'll probably be one of the first names on the teamsheet. He looks like he'll be able to fill Carsley's boots eventually too. He was very good against Arsenal by the sounds of things, very composed etc.

I hope we can keep hold of him.

The big factor is if we can keep hold of him.

I have high hopes for Rodwell. His composure really does belie his age at times. Of course he makes the odd silly mistake, but at his stage of his career its more than understandable. Plus the mistake senior players around him are making it makes him look like a seasoned pro!

As long as he keeps his grounding I think he could be a very good player. I hope he stays and I hope he keeps improving.

He's going to be our next star player, he's started to play well in Carsley's position and when he gets older will be a great centre back. For me Rodwell is our next big talent.

A lad who I taught down here, plays for Leicester and England u19, reckons he'll be one to watch definitely. His main reason for thinking that though is the fact that he is getting into first ahead of Gosling, who apparently is awesome.

Lad I was talking to really seemed surprised that Gosling wasn't getting near our first team.

• 3 months later...

Wanted to bring up this old thread we had back in October last year.

When Rodwell came on under all the pressure of a derby in the FA cup, his compsure on the ball put everyone to shame. He really does not seem like a 17 year old! Passing was good, simple and pretty much always got to where it was intended.

I hope he gets more game time as a defensive midfielder this season.

He impressed me massively last night. We've got a special talent on our hands, I just hope we can keep hold of him and give him the platform he needs to thrive. I don't think it's going over the top to suggest that if everything goes according to plan that he'll go on to be a regular for England. The boy oozes class.

I have also been singing his praises to anybody who will listen to me. Rodwell when he came on showed a composure that belies his age. He has two very good feet, is tall and athletic. I think he may be able to progress into a Viera type player. It is a bit early to make that judgement but he is special.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...ck-Rodwell.html

Jack Rodwell, a Birkdale-born credit to Everton's coaching system, could be the most exciting talent to emerge from Goodison Park since Wayne Rooney.

Weighting any teenager down with great expectations is dangerous but the boy can play. He can head, tackle and pass. He's tall, athletic and composed. Most importantly, Rodwell is surrounded by good people at Everton, sensible football men like Moyes and Alan Stubbs, who will assist his development.

A centre-half in the reserves, Rodwell sat in front of Everton's back-four against Liverpool, broke up play and sprayed neat passes around. Nothing fancy, just keeping the ball rolling.

The way the England Under-18 captain stood up to Javier Mascherano was particularly impressive. Here was a display that spoke of a player who knows he belongs at this elevated level.

His team-mates clearly trust the 17-year-old's technique and temperament: Phil Jagielka, even Mikel Arteta, happily laid the ball off to Rodwell, encouraging him to build attacks.

No wonder so many leading clubs are watching Rodwell's progress with increasingly covetous eyes. But he should stay at Goodison.

Under Moyes, a manager who gives youth a chance, Rodwell can turn his rich potential into top-class reality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to agree with most posters. At the start of the season the kid looked like a fish out of water but that was no shame as nearly all the team did. However he has learned quickly and it is refreshing to see a 17 year old actually wanting the ball, coming deep to start attacks, bags of confidence and no little skill, true that silly mistakes are made but they will be ironed out as experience grows. All in all a great prospect. :D