IGNORED

Promotion

Wolves made it black and white that they would be in the Premiership after their 1-0 win over QPR today. The question is will they survive? They went down a few years back coming at the back of the whole pack. Teams like Birmingham look to be set for a Premiership return in the second place spot.

Just how will Wolves and the other promoted teams do in the new 2009 season?

I'd like to see Wolves, Birmingham and Preston come up to the prem.

I think we will see obviously Wolves in the Prem and Birmingham and i think Reading will make a return to the top flight.

I would like to see Preston in the Prem but to be honest they would be bumed dry every week as Derek Shaw is a fat tight fisted git who will not spend the cash to keep them up there we would have a worse run them the Baggies are having this season thats for sure plus i think the hairy backs from down the road have a far better chance then we do.

Edited by EFC-Paul

If Wolves spend fuck all as they did the last time they got promoted then it'll be a quick return to where they came from. If they add some experience to a very good young side then they could survive.

Wolves should have a bit of £££, they've got that morgan who tried to buy the shite. They need at least 7 first-teamers if they're going have a chance though!

I think there's only been one season since the Premiership began where all three promoted teams went straight back down again, even though the pundits almost invariably seem to make that exact prediction every preseason. So the odds are very much in favor of at least one of the three teams that come up next year surviving.

As for which one, I could see Birmingham finally making themselves stick this time, if they make the right moves on the transfer market. Reading's beaten the odds before; no reason they couldn't do it again. I could also see Sheff United sticking around this time, if they make it back. They almost did it last time, and this time they would have that extra 10 mil from West Ham to play with, on top of the promotion money.

Don't really know enough about any of the other teams in the mix to guesstimate their chances.

Some thoughts on the teams likely to be promoted

Wolves......................I wonder who their rs owner will support at Analfield next season, his life long team or his toy??. Unfortunately this Mick McCarthy team is like all of his others, inconsistent and I don't think they'll fare well in the top flight

Birmingham..............Will Lee Carsley stay with them or a year on will he still feel the Prem is now too much for his style of play aqnd move on. From what I've seen this side is inferior to the one that got relagated last term

Shef Utd..................What will their spending be like, thanks to West Ham and how will the fans get on when they meet next year

Preston....................if they make it how many points will they get in a Prem season. That sounds arrogant but in all honesty they are a team of over the hills aging players brilliantly put together by Alan Irvine, it would be sad to see a dream turn into a nightmare.

Burnley...................a great club who might just surprise everyone but I don't think they will...........Owen Coyle is another miracle worker

Reading...................having watched them a few times this season they are a shadow of the side that spent two seasons in the top flight, the players honestly seem disinterested, if they don't make it I think Coppell might walk as this smacks of a club where the manager loses the dressing room

If we look to the bottom of the table its now clear that Southampton have been relegated. Southampton are relegated after they failed to beat Burnley at St Mary's, drawing 2-2. The Saints face a 10 point deduction, which will now come in to effect next season, starting their League 1 campaign on minus 10. At the top it's quite differant with Wolverhampton Wanderers having already been promoted they could be crowned Championship champions if they win at Barnsley. Birmingham could be promoted too should they gain all three points.

Wolverhampton Wanderers and Birmingham City should stay up next season :)

Depending on who Wolves retain and who they add i think they could stay up, its Brum who I think will go straight down. I think they are a weaker team now than when they went down.

McCarthy's track record in the Prem is not good in fact its shockingly bad, I agree that Brum could well go back as well, if they make it. The best teams I've seen in the championship have been Burnley and Swansea, Cardiff had been useful but their wheels have come off with a vengeance. Basically no team in that division have excelled with the possible exception of Wolves who are handicapped imo by their manager, nice guy but limited, very limited. I would expect both Shef Utd and Reading to stand better chances on survival based on past history

I agree about McCarthy but I think he'll be the first manager to be sacked next year. I feel that his main problem is in not being able to purchase the right players to be able to compete at a higher level than Championship. One thing now though is that he has a better backroom staff than previosuly and the brand of football that Wolves play could adapt to the top flight.

Everyone has a spanner result in their season, one that stands out as being random and not in keeping with their teams position/form...Cardiff gets half a dozen of em, good and bad...

End of the day we have a well balanced team at the mo apart from our right midifeld....We have McCormack up front who's netted 23 or so goals, we have a solid defence and we have strong midfielders like McPhail and Ledley pushing us on...

I really do think that if Cardiff wants to get promoted this is the year to do it, and if it wasn't for the game a few weeks back where we went down to 9 and one of our major players got injured I'm sure we would have stayed on track...

However Cardiff is the team people don't expect to do well and that's why I want them up, we've got a new stadium, a devoted fan base which could have the same effect as Stoke in the home matches, and some promising talent in the squad...I honestly don't see why people write them off

Everyone has a spanner result in their season, one that stands out as being random and not in keeping with their teams position/form...Cardiff gets half a dozen of em, good and bad...

End of the day we have a well balanced team at the mo apart from our right midifeld....We have McCormack up front who's netted 23 or so goals, we have a solid defence and we have strong midfielders like McPhail and Ledley pushing us on...

I really do think that if Cardiff wants to get promoted this is the year to do it, and if it wasn't for the game a few weeks back where we went down to 9 and one of our major players got injured I'm sure we would have stayed on track...

However Cardiff is the team people don't expect to do well and that's why I want them up, we've got a new stadium, a devoted fan base which could have the same effect as Stoke in the home matches, and some promising talent in the squad...I honestly don't see why people write them off

After reaching the final last year I honestly expected them to have done much better in league than is the case mate. I hope you make the play offs, I'll be cheering for you, honest

After reaching the final last year I honestly expected them to have done much better in league than is the case mate. I hope you make the play offs, I'll be cheering for you, honest

You think we won't? :blink:

Taken from the BBC Website: "But Cardiff could suffer play-off heartbreak if they lose at Sheffield Wednesday and sixth-placed Burnley beat Bristol City at Turfmoor and seventh-placed Preston North End defeat QPR at Deepdale."

So you think both Preston and Burnley will win, and Cardiff will lose?

Well I certainly hope that doesn't happen :o

You think we won't? :blink:

Taken from the BBC Website: "But Cardiff could suffer play-off heartbreak if they lose at Sheffield Wednesday and sixth-placed Burnley beat Bristol City at Turfmoor and seventh-placed Preston North End defeat QPR at Deepdale."

So you think both Preston and Burnley will win, and Cardiff will lose?

Well I certainly hope that doesn't happen :o

As a neutral I'm just looking at form mate and yours is shit tbh, but I will be cheering for you, for your sake Reg :o;)

Wolves and Birmingham up so far and to be honest I can't see either of them having enough to stay up unless there is considerable cash input. However even that is not enough because can they really attract the type of player that is going to seriously improve their team. Both will probably attract the journey men type who may be solid pro's but just don't have enough to turn them into regular premiership sides.

Can Wolves keep their better players such as Ebanks-Blake and can he cut the mustard in the premiership and worryingly for Birmingham will they have the firepower to stay up as they scored less goals than relegated Norwich.

Strangely I can see Sheffield United, if they even get up, having a better chance of remaining in the top flight because of their recent history and premiership experience and relegation dogfights.

However would be nice to see one of the Lancashire teams promoted as that is nice and easy to get to.

Let's see...

Preston last in top flight in 1961

Burnley last in 1976

Sheff U last in 2007

Reading last in 2008

Therefore...go Preston! :D

And Rochdale...

And Histon...

And as for the League One playoffs, isn't there some way for all four of them to lose?

think wolves will struggle unless they spend (they have financial backing from steve morgan the guy who tried to buy liverpool a few years back)

birmingham have a chance of stayin up if they improve their firepower

lets get behind preston for the playoffs cos of the obviuos efc connection moyes and irvine but also another northwest away game

by the way what a job irvine has done at preston,could be a potential future efc manager if moyes ever left

Wolves: They need to be under no illusion that Ebanks-Blake will not do that well in the Premiership. He did quite well for them in the Championship but once the football get's a lot more like the Premiership he won't be bringing in the same rate of goals on the sheet. I'd say they would be tipped for going down. They will need to spend money in a fine amount to get themselves to safety. They can do it, just with their previous performances in the best league they won't have a good chance.

Birmingham: Expect them to do a Hull. They will start brightly and even look like UEFA Cup challangers before sliding down the slope and ending somewhere around Sunderland's position. They will need to spend money (but dosen't everyone?) their team cannot stay up in the Premiership alone but they can give it a good shot, I expect to see them for a few seasons yet.

Preston North End Irvine has done a great job and everyone that is an Evertonian (certainly the members on ToffeeTalk) will be supporting Preston as they attempt to get into the Premiership. They are the underdogs with how they got there but if they want it enough then why not. They have the skill to beat the teams in the play-off's and could well make it into the Premiership division. The only problem is that if they came up I can see them doing a Derby and going down on rock bottom ground.

Sheffield United: Clear favourites. The best time that are in the play-off's and with the Carlos Tevez saga arguably sending them down they will have the most determination than all the teams in there at the moment. I'd say it's almost inevitable that they get back into the league. Don't really mind if they do to be honest. If they did come up then thats where they would remain. Wonder if Jagielka would get a good reception at Brammal?