IGNORED

Chelsea - Fa Cup Final

Romey 1878

I'm disappointed with some aspects of the performance today which actually surprised me a bit. We were always going to have less of the ball and be chasing shadows a little, maybe the conditions on the day just made that a little harder. Even though I thought Neville played very well today and has had a great season, we need an athlete in the centre of midfield, someone with physical stature who can make darting runs with the ball at feet as well as break up play. The stature of Osman, Pienaar, Arteta, and Neville screams to me that we lack something important here. Lampard and Obi Mikel were able to make searing runs down the middle of the park today and thats without considering the damage done on the right.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gutted. Dont think we deserved to win tbh, then again, neither did they. The best part of the game was when Hibbo was subbed by Jacobsen. I am proud of how far the lads got.

Oh well, take that and learn from the mistakes, we need to close down shots from outside the box!! And get someone in who CAN shoot from outside the box!!

COYB!!

Edit * Oh and just remember we have won more medals than the Redshite have this season! *

Edited by Heather_6

However disappointing the result may be, take pride boys! You had a difficult Cup run and going into the final does Everton a lot of credit. A couple of adjustments to the side and you should give the Big 4 some hard times in the years to come. I do sincerely wish you all the best.

Can't think of what to say. I'm f'ckd.

Proud of the guys and a day to remember, particularly the first thirty seconds :) . But Chelsea were just too strong, no weak links.....think we probably lost the game when Barcelona got that goal in the 93rd minute :( .

Guest efctaxi
We must have been watching different games. He was truly awful. Totally off the pace, didn't get stuck in, touch like an elephant. Awful.

I guess we did :)

I watched the game and was disappointed but proud like most. However, I can't believe how weak as piss Chelsea were. Falling on the ground and holding their legs when no one even touched them. I play U/16's and no one I play with goes down as easy as that and I have 5 girls in my team! The most disappointing part was that Pienaar was doing it as well. Someone should tell him to toughen up and become a man or piss off.

personally though fellaini was our best player.

was disappointing though and i was even more irritated by the lack of applause our players got when they went up to get their medals, nothing from the chelsea squad and little from their support either...no class. moyes showed some true sportsmanship walking round shaking hands whereas hiddink didn't seem to even be arsed. shite fans, shite club.

great day, great goal, great run in the cup.......disappointing the way we capitulated against a very good side.

what said it all for me was the bench - Ballack on for Essien I think it was....for us it was Jacobsen, Gosling and Vaughan on.....different class

we'll get there though, and the boys put in a good stint in a ridiculously hot stadium!

be interesting to see if we can build on this next summer, cos as moyesey pointed out in his post match interview, semi last year, final this year, next year maybe cup winners?

was disappointing though and i was even more irritated by the lack of applause our players got when they went up to get their medals, nothing from the chelsea squad and little from their support either...no class.

What pissed me off big time that I'd not noticed before (because I'd not watched presentations at the new Wembley) was the fact that the players walk up through the corporate wanker seats to get their medals.

At the old place it was a highlight watching them getting smothered by real fans on the way up and ending up with fifteen scarves and three hats on each.

Now the only danger is getting Marie Rose sauce on their shirt :angry: .

We must have been watching different games. He was truly awful. Totally off the pace, didn't get stuck in, touch like an elephant. Awful.

Well I thought he was class yesterday. Especially when he was moved deeper into the midfield. How you can say he did not get stuck is beyond me. He was getting onvolved, keeping the passing simple, which is exactly what was needed. SOmeone to be in the centre of the park and play it simple. He kept his head when others around him where losing there's and he never seemed to let the occasion get to him

My MOTM by a long way.

Of the game as a whole, I was gutted. Obviously, but on the day Chelsea deserved it more. Not the fans though, they where awful. Didn't really seem to care. On the train home it was a mix of Everton and Chelsea fans. The Everton fans singing, Chelsea fans sitting sullen and silent. You would have thought that they had lost the game. We did our lads proud yesterday, and for the majority they did us proud to. Coming up against a side like that when they want to play is always going to be hard.

Oh well. Always next year. Last year a semi-final, this year a final, next year a trophy. COYB.

To be honest, if Pienaar and Cahill stayed tight with Fellaini, I could have seen the flick ons going to better use. They were perfect balls down but no one pounced.

Plus the hoofballs to nowhere was the nail in the coffin. That was beginning of the season quality! :@

Not the fans though, they where awful. Didn't really seem to care. On the train home it was a mix of Everton and Chelsea fans. The Everton fans singing, Chelsea fans sitting sullen and silent. You would have thought that they had lost the game. We did our lads proud yesterday, and for the majority they did us proud to.

Listening to 606 a Chelsea fan came on complaining about Evertonians in his Chelsea section. They were not causing any trouble but were moved out after about 30 mins he said (hopefully they were found somewhere else to sit).

He was moaning about the "cock-up with the allocation" until Alan Green pointed out the obvious....that Chelsea fans had flogged on their tickets for a profit.

Bloke wouldn't have it, there were too many for that to have been the case he said.

just back from london now, (stayed overnight) I didnt think we were hungry enough for it after they equalised, its sounds stupid but it didnt help scoring so earlly

I think that was one of fellaini's best games in a blue shirt, he looked alot better further back the pitch. He's got amazing feet for a player of that height, they couldnt get the ball off him.

I am truly gutted but we have to move on... the uefa cup is ours next season.

Edited by Blue4Ever

Believe? The fans may have believed but most of our side didn't have any belief they win it. It's not that we lost that I can't take, it's the way our players simply rolled over and died. That's not something I or any of us are used to with this side, especially when it's from the likes of Cahill. There was no fighting spirit and no skill; our game plan must have simply been to punt the ball up at every opportunity. That's not a bad way to go when it works, but when you've got Lescott and Yobo hoofing the ball where there are no players you have a big problem. For me, the only players that turned up yesterday were Pienaar, Baines and Fellaini. The rest of them just did not look up for it at all. Baines and Pienaar showed good team work as always and looked like the only ones who might just create something. Fellaini bossed our midfield for large chunks of the game by breaking up play and showing great composure on the ball, which is exactly what we were crying out for more of our players to do.

The one good thing I hope came out of yesterdays game is that maybe Moyes has opened his eyes to the fact that Hibbert is fucking shite, a donkey, and makes Jacobsen or a new player our RB. He was unbelievably awful. Playing Premiership football for the team he supports really is a dream for Hibbert because he plays like he's in a dream world. The thing that pissed me off most about him is that he'd lose the ball and then not bust a gut to rectify it, but jogged back at half pace. You can throw Osman into the mix as a donkey yesterday too. Whoever said we should have benched him for this game because he played well against Fulham was right. I'm angry as fuck about these two players :angry: .

At the end of the day the best side won.

Read a fair few of the comments above and of course everyone entitled to their opinion. I was there, had a seat very close to the pitch in line with half way line (no, I'm not Moyes, on the other side of the pitch!).

What TV didn't show was how well Chelsea pressed us - whenever we had the ball the Chelsea players closed us down incredibly quickly - something they obviously worked on. And when pressed that hard, our players just were not quite good enough (on the day at least) to be able to use the ball under pressure.

Osman had a terrible game. Hibbert - his game ended after 7 minutes when he got booked - at that point he was too scared to go near Malouda.

But, I am with those who say we got 5th, we got to theCup Final and with 20 minutes left of the Cup Final were level with the side that has Lampard, Anelka, Drogba, et al.

Mike's point was spot on - we desperately needed Chelsea to have played in CL Final.

One thing I am sure you will be pleased to hear. I was in the Crock of Gold (a few hundred yards from the ground) after the game and at 7pm last night the singsong in there was class - the bar staff were bemused by the spirit, you could see them thinking "what would you be like if you had won?" - that hour in the pub will live long in the memory. A proper club.

Go and rest everyone - we've got more progress to make next season..

Listening to 606 a Chelsea fan came on complaining about Evertonians in his Chelsea section. They were not causing any trouble but were moved out after about 30 mins he said (hopefully they were found somewhere else to sit).

He was moaning about the "cock-up with the allocation" until Alan Green pointed out the obvious....that Chelsea fans had flogged on their tickets for a profit.

Bloke wouldn't have it, there were too many for that to have been the case he said.

sounds like the bit i was in actually, which was kind of a neutral bit (around the halfway line) but mainly populated by chelsea fans (and to the right about 10 feet away was a similar block mainly populated by toffees) - stewards were coming over and swapping tickets with chelsea fans that had been allocated into the everton section and vice versa - me and my mate sat quietly and didn't make it too obvious (apart from when we scored!) that we were toffees, as we didn't actually see any of the people that got moved coming back!! to be fair it was fairly relaxed in that bit anyway, no sign of any trouble

Thought i'd post this comment left on the chelsea forum where i did the Talking to the enemy piece.:-

Cheers to both of you fellas. Everton are a GREAT team with a GREAT manager in Moyes (I dont need to tell you that) and they epitomize everythign that is great about the English game: tough, industrious, greater than the sum of their parts, and you can never count them out. Thats what I kept thinking about the final, even in the last few minutes. Guys like Saha and Cahill only need an inch for a moment of genius, so I was praying for that final whistle

The Toffees are far and away my favorite team in England not named Chelsea and now I can see that their fans are just as classy as their team. The only downside for me on saturday was knowing that our win had come at Everton's expense.

Good luck to you guys next season in Europe and domestically. Next year we will take 6 points of 'istory FC, so you just do your part and snag their Champions League spot. Deal?

Thought i'd post this comment left on the chelsea forum where i did the Talking to the enemy piece.:-

Cheers to both of you fellas. Everton are a GREAT team with a GREAT manager in Moyes (I dont need to tell you that) and they epitomize everythign that is great about the English game: tough, industrious, greater than the sum of their parts, and you can never count them out. Thats what I kept thinking about the final, even in the last few minutes. Guys like Saha and Cahill only need an inch for a moment of genius, so I was praying for that final whistle

The Toffees are far and away my favorite team in England not named Chelsea and now I can see that their fans are just as classy as their team. The only downside for me on saturday was knowing that our win had come at Everton's expense.

Good luck to you guys next season in Europe and domestically. Next year we will take 6 points of 'istory FC, so you just do your part and snag their Champions League spot. Deal?

Really nice comments......would love to think they would feel the same way about us if we'd won!!

Read a fair few of the comments above and of course everyone entitled to their opinion. I was there, had a seat very close to the pitch in line with half way line (no, I'm not Moyes, on the other side of the pitch!).

What TV didn't show was how well Chelsea pressed us - whenever we had the ball the Chelsea players closed us down incredibly quickly - something they obviously worked on. And when pressed that hard, our players just were not quite good enough (on the day at least) to be able to use the ball under pressure.

Osman had a terrible game. Hibbert - his game ended after 7 minutes when he got booked - at that point he was too scared to go near Malouda.

But, I am with those who say we got 5th, we got to theCup Final and with 20 minutes left of the Cup Final were level with the side that has Lampard, Anelka, Drogba, et al.

Mike's point was spot on - we desperately needed Chelsea to have played in CL Final.

One thing I am sure you will be pleased to hear. I was in the Crock of Gold (a few hundred yards from the ground) after the game and at 7pm last night the singsong in there was class - the bar staff were bemused by the spirit, you could see them thinking "what would you be like if you had won?" - that hour in the pub will live long in the memory. A proper club.

Go and rest everyone - we've got more progress to make next season..

I know a relative of Tony's and apparently he had heat exhaustion, it was about 110 degrees or something on the pitch and he just felt totally drained and could hardly run. I know this sounds a poor excuse but I've suffered from it before playing tennis and I know how badly it can affect you. He looked way off the pace and wasn't even tracking players towards the end of the first half, I don't think the (harsh) booking was the main reason he had such a poor game.

The bottom line is we hoped it would end in glory but the reality is, without Arteta, Yakubu and possibly Jags or even Anichebe we just didn't have the creativity, the ball retention and the goal threat/pace/power up front to cause Chelsea any serious problems. They were far the better team and the scoreline could have been much worse. We played Liverpool when they were in a bit of a rut, we played an under strength Utd team and we got great victories but when we came up against a fully fit, in form Chelsea team they were just too strong. There is no shame in that and I think next season, with better luck injury wise and hopefully 1 or 2 additions, we can aim for the top 4 realistically. We just need a good start as once we're up and running we're a very very good team. The only disappointment for me was that I thought Howard should have saved the second goal and Cahill needs to further forward to be effective.

The bottom line is we hoped it would end in glory but the reality is, without Arteta, Yakubu and possibly Jags or even Anichebe we just didn't have the creativity, the ball retention and the goal threat/pace/power up front to cause Chelsea any serious problems. They were far the better team and the scoreline could have been much worse. We played Liverpool when they were in a bit of a rut, we played an under strength Utd team and we got great victories but when we came up against a fully fit, in form Chelsea team they were just too strong. There is no shame in that and I think next season, with better luck injury wise and hopefully 1 or 2 additions, we can aim for the top 4 realistically. We just need a good start as once we're up and running we're a very very good team. The only disappointment for me was that I thought Howard should have saved the second goal and Cahill needs to further forward to be effective.

Totally agree with everything said there mate. :)

Well I'm immensely proud of the Everton boys for making it to the FA Cup final - effectively without our 'spine' (Yakubu, Arteta and Jagielka).

Big congrats must go to Chelsea - the better team definitely won it. Hiddink did his homework perfectly in identifying Hibbert and Osman (who was fucking lazy) as our weak links (particularly Hibbert, who really seemed to struggle in the heat).

What really lost it for Everton was after Chelsea started applying pressure, Phil Neville and Co. lost a little composure and predictably resorted to the long ball forward. Everton's main strength is heading from wide crosses, but by playing hoofball, they totally isolated Saha/Fellaini which lead to easy turnovers and gave Baines and Hibbert/Jacobsen absolutely no time to get forward. The only other great chance was from a Baines' cross into Saha after the team spent time to put together a few passes. Pienaar (our best player by a country mile, followed by Fellaini) seemed to be the only one trying to keep possession and do some simple build-up work.

Saha's goal, although offside, was pure quality. The finish was great, but he showed every bit of his experience to get into the position for it. If you watch the replays he's right on the shoulder of Terry to begin with, but as Fellaini goes up for the header Saha ghosts away from Terry and into the spot he KNOWS the ball is going to land. If he can stay fit for a nice long spell next season I reckon he can score around a dozen goals.

Its been a great season but lets be honest we were totally outclassed and outfought by Chelsea and hoofing long balls upto Fellaini was never going to work against a side of that calibre.

We missed Arteta badly but he will hopefully be back as strong as ever next season and if we can add a couple of decent signings we may just be back there next year