IGNORED

Steven Defour

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11671_4356717,00.html

Steven Defour's agent has claimed Arsenal have joined the chase to sign the Standard Liege midfielder.

The 20-year-old is already a full Belgium international, in addition to being Liege's captain, and has been tipped for a move to the Premier League.

Everton, who signed Marouane Fellaini from Liege before the close of the transfer window, have been linked with a bid, along with Middlesbrough.

Ajax and Palermo have also shown an interest in the youngster, whose agent Paul Stefani claims Arsenal and French champions Lyon have now entered the hunt.

"Steven Defour is regularly linked with other clubs," said Stefani in La Derniere Heure. "After Ajax, Middlesbrough and Palermo, there are bigger teams mentioned.

"Lyon and Arsenal came to scout Steven, and they decided to return to watch him again."

Anything could happen

Although there have been no firm offers for Defour, a bid in excess of £8million will reportedly tempt Standard into selling the highly-rated midfielder.

Stefani added: "There is nothing concrete.

"If an offer does arrive, Standard should really consider it. If the deal matches all parties, his departure is very possible.

"He could move in January, you never know. The Fellaini transfer was all concluded in a week, it just depends on if the club are willing to put the effort in, but anything could happen."

I would like to see Defour in an Everton shirt, but I cant see him choosing us over Arsenal. Having said that he could come after playing against us, he might want a move with Fellaini already at his new employers. He was an excellent talent and one which will be snapped up come January. Its definate that he wont finish the season in a Liege shirt. £8 million seems to be the price that he's coming at.

Transfer Saga - Interesting Read

The diminutive playmaker had just had a superb season for KRC Genk, and AFC Ajax were keen to sign the young star. Genk set their asking price too high, but there were suggestions that Ajax would exploit a Belgian law whereby a professional sportsman is allowed to terminate his contract and buy it off according to how many months of salary he would have expected to receive during the remainder of his deal. The transfer to Ajax did not happen, but Standard Liège snapped up the talented youngster. The commotion even led to Genk chairman Jos Vaessen stepping down.

Transfer Saga - Interesting Read

The diminutive playmaker had just had a superb season for KRC Genk, and AFC Ajax were keen to sign the young star. Genk set their asking price too high, but there were suggestions that Ajax would exploit a Belgian law whereby a professional sportsman is allowed to terminate his contract and buy it off according to how many months of salary he would have expected to receive during the remainder of his deal. The transfer to Ajax did not happen, but Standard Liège snapped up the talented youngster. The commotion even led to Genk chairman Jos Vaessen stepping down.

Who was that about?

^Defour

• 1 month later...

well Standard just refused a 15mil euro offer on defour (which by todays exchange rate would equal 15mil £ i guess) from a moscow club.

russians set to increase offer to over 20mil euro.

wonder if he'd want to go there tho .. sure he'll make more money in five years than he would ever make in EPL or another top european league, but there's always the emirates for when he's 35 and feels like he needs more money.

but i guess this does mean he's a bit out of everton's reach (money wise).

Edited by holystove

• 2 weeks later...

Defour's team-mate seems to have turned us down. Becuase were not big enough <_<

Serbia international striker Milan Jovanovic claims he has rejected a January transfer move to Everton. The Standard Liege ace played and scored against The Toffees earlier this season when the sides met in the Uefa Cup. However, Jovanovic was not interested in a move to Goodison Park claiming David Moyes' side are not a 'big club'.

"Everton aren't a big club," he told Serbian site Blic Online. "That club I have turned down already." Jovanovic could still end up in England's top-flight with Aston Villa reportedly coveting his services; a theory he has not ruled out.

"The other club interested in me is in and around the top four in the Premier League," he continued.

The former Lokomotiv Moscow man is not getting carried away with the speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League, after seeing his PSV Eindhoven switch fail to materialise last summer.

"I'm getting offers all the time, but they are a little vague and I don't want to be frustrated again. Last year I wanted to go to PSV, but Standard did not let me leave."

Defour's team-mate seems to have turned us down. Becuase were not big enough <_<

Serbia international striker Milan Jovanovic claims he has rejected a January transfer move to Everton. The Standard Liege ace played and scored against The Toffees earlier this season when the sides met in the Uefa Cup. However, Jovanovic was not interested in a move to Goodison Park claiming David Moyes' side are not a 'big club'.

"Everton aren't a big club," he told Serbian site Blic Online. "That club I have turned down already." Jovanovic could still end up in England's top-flight with Aston Villa reportedly coveting his services; a theory he has not ruled out.

"The other club interested in me is in and around the top four in the Premier League," he continued.

The former Lokomotiv Moscow man is not getting carried away with the speculation linking him with a move to the Premier League, after seeing his PSV Eindhoven switch fail to materialise last summer.

"I'm getting offers all the time, but they are a little vague and I don't want to be frustrated again. Last year I wanted to go to PSV, but Standard did not let me leave."

You cant help but wonder what perception foreign players have of the Premier League and its clubs to have views like those. Although Villa are a good side and a decent sized club there no better or bigger then ourselves they may have better backing in the boardroom but thats where it ends.

I like it when players show their mentality and opinions as Jovanovic has as it shows you that the bloke is a clueless twit who's attitude would not fit in here.

His Wiki says he would prefer a move to the SPL with Rangers which is all well and good as they have a large fan base and are a big Scotish club but it has to be one of the worst league's if not the in European football.

The player is clearly an idiot but it is disappointing to learn that you're not considered a big club by foreign players. Had he looked at the previous few years table positions then he'd say we're a lot bigger than Villa, and standing 6th is hardly relegation dog fight fodder.

Think this comes down to how much money he wants at the end of the week and the minimum wage we're offering doesn't appeal. Let's see if he changes his mind an hour before the window closes if nobody else comes in for him!!

• 2 months later...

Moyes hasn't given up on Jovanovic yet though :

"Everton boss told to sign Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/2410...N-THE-HUNT.html

Moyes hasn't given up on Jovanovic yet though :

"Everton boss told to sign Standard Liege striker Milan Jovanovic."

http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/sport/2410...N-THE-HUNT.html

Bad idea!

At his best he's really a good player. He's got some great rushes in him, like he did against Everton (2-1 penalty goal). But he's not consistent enough to play in the PL. At the moment he's playing like crap.

Standard got hit out of the UEFA btw because Defour was kicked off the pitch and Mbokani and Jova are nowhere near their best form.

Vertonghen would be a good buy (I'd say 10 million) but Jovanovic ... I have my doubts about him. Too good for the Belgian league but I don't know if he's good enough for the PL.

Edited by 234ever

• 2 months later...

They did a survey off all 303 professional football players in Belgium in the first league :

Witsel won the award for most overrated ;).

Defour would be GREAT for us though ... He's like Pienaar in that he never stops running but he does it more intelligently and he has more skill.

Please Moyes sign Defour.