IGNORED

Steven Defour

I would hope if it is us we will go back with a batter offer.

I don't think threatening them would work personally, maybe if Duncan Ferguson was still with us, but the the thought of Ossie and Gosling heading over to administer a bit of "persuasion" won't fill them with too much anxiety :P .

I would love to see Defour here but I think Moutinho would give more creativity which is needed, the Yak would be right on top of his game with the likes of Arteta Moutinho and Pienaar threading balls through, however we do need a quality defensive midfielder and Defour would fit the bill.

I would love to see Defour here but I think Moutinho would give more creativity which is needed, the Yak would be right on top of his game with the likes of Arteta Moutinho and Pienaar threading balls through, however we do need a quality defensive midfielder and Defour would fit the bill.

Before Fellaini left, Defour played in the creative midfielder role and won the most valuable player (golden shoe) in the Belgian league that year. So he's quite good at that too.

Because Big Mo left he had to play defensive midfielder and excelled at that position as well.

I think if Everton bought him, he'd be usable in every midfield spot except for maybe left midfielder.

However seeing how Standard would completely implode without him, I can't see them letting him go for a reasonable fee. Especially because of the CL money they got coming, they don't need to sell.

I fear both Moutinho and Defour will be out of price range. (unless Sheik Ahmed ... :) ).

Before Fellaini left, Defour played in the creative midfielder role and won the most valuable player (golden shoe) in the Belgian league that year. So he's quite good at that too.

Because Big Mo left he had to play defensive midfielder and excelled at that position as well.

I think if Everton bought him, he'd be usable in every midfield spot except for maybe left midfielder.

However seeing how Standard would completely implode without him, I can't see them letting him go for a reasonable fee. Especially because of the CL money they got coming, they don't need to sell.

I fear both Moutinho and Defour will be out of price range. (unless Sheik Ahmed ... :) ).

Based on Oobermans results, you're not a season ticket holder HolyStove ;) haha :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

does he play on the right at all?

On FM 2009 he can play on the right (not natural but very able) so I would say yes (given that we have paid money to use their data I would hope it's right!), his attributes are work rate, passing and creativity. His main position is centre mid/attacking mid. Playing against us in UEFA cup I noticed he should have got sent off for nearly pushing ref over. He then went to set up their goal. Must admit I was impressed by him in that game.

does he play on the right at all?

No. At least he never did in the past. He plays CM, both attacking and defensive.

13m pound is 15 millon euro, i'm not sure but i thought that was the price Standard wanted for him.

edit: He did play on the righ midfield for the belgium national team i think, but it's far from his best position, so i'm not expecting he's going to play righ midfield.

Edited by Churinga

Was'nt Yak nearly that much, and Fellaini was certainly more than that.

oh yeah, what i mean is, i dont know how much money we have to spend, but am sure moyes knows he needs a number of players in this season to cope not only with the league but the europa league too, added that we have had a few leave already this summer, i just don't think he'd spend the majority of his funds straight away on one player, we need cover for a few positions, which has been stated on thsi forum quite a bit over the last month or so

Was'nt Yak nearly that much, and Fellaini was certainly more than that.

TBH I can see what Craig means. I can't see us shelling out 13m for a player either, this transfer window at least. Obvioulsy Fellaini was more and Yak was just a little less, but this time around I cant see us spending big amounts on one player. Just a feeling.

In thinking same than Craigb. Can see us paying 13M£ from him so soon, or then we have much more money for buyings than we think. And this player is even paying on central midfield, area what is soon overcrowded in our squad. If we buy this guy, all other incomings will be loans (Jo+Pennant+x), And those already signed youths.

In thinking same than Craigb. Can see us paying 13M£ from him so soon, or then we have much more money for buyings than we think. And this player is even paying on central midfield, area what is soon overcrowded in our squad. If we buy this guy, all other incomings will be loans (Jo+Pennant+x), And those already signed youths.

We only spent last Summer what we had already brought in in sales and after another successful season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have bid £13m for one player as we're getting to the stage where we need to spend that sort of money to improve our first team. I think Moyes will be looking to also bolster the squad with loans, bargains and youngsters but I would be surprised if he didn't bring one or two fairly big money signings in. If not, then we're never going to compete realistically with the top 4.

We only spent last Summer what we had already brought in in sales and after another successful season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we have bid £13m for one player as we're getting to the stage where we need to spend that sort of money to improve our first team. I think Moyes will be looking to also bolster the squad with loans, bargains and youngsters but I would be surprised if he didn't bring one or two fairly big money signings in. If not, then we're never going to compete realistically with the top 4.

I said at the beginning, that i would like to see at least 1 top-drawer player. 2 then shit-a-brick....mint! But like you said i think his philosopy (echoed by a recent interview) will be about recruiting youth for the future, be them young, young or top-drawer youngsters with potential? bargains and squad building are a must but the idea of 2 top drawer players would make us v.good candidates for some silverware again :)

I think Moyes has identified the need for a busy midfield general and Mbia was his first choice. Looking at Defours attributes I would say he tickes the boxes:

Looks good on the ball,

Works hard to regain ball,

Mobile (Felli ain't)

Can pass

Young enough to realise our investment over time

I think the only area that has been picked as weakness is his shooting, but that is not what we need if we have the Yak upfront, areteta. After watching him against us I would say he has the right game for the prem, and he is the type of midfielder who loks like he can take the game by the scruff of the neck and dictate play.

If we get him it will be interesting to see the formations we could play. I would guess a 5 man midfield consisting of:

Pienaar/Arteta - Defour/Rodwell/Neville - Cahill/Fellaini - Pennant/Osman

Looking at which I would say we are in need of another winger, pref a left sided one to cover Pienaar as would prefer arteta in centre or right if needed. This makes me think that a bid for Tuncay may be on cards as he will play anywhere, we will need a wide variety of formations so that we do not end up with over tired players this season.

I didnt meant we dont have money for 1 big transfer, i just meant that i really do have doubts it would be him. I really dint know is he good enought to imrove us or not, nut just were wondering cause the position aint "urged" for us to get some new players. I do beleive Moysie will consider much better, who is gonna be his forst choice. Im sure that this guy is available with this big money later on, no need to hurry

I have a sneaking suspicion that Defour will be our big money signing which will use our budget up. If that goes through and we are linked with more players, expect Lescott to go (I think this is probably already a done deal and we are holding off announcing so that Defours club don't add £8m onto the £9m that we have already bid)Once we get Defour I think Joleon will go with richards maybe coming the other way and we may sure up the squad with a few signings such as Gudjohnsen, Tuncay etc. That's my guess anyhow, if we get £22m+ for Joleon I would be fine with that.

Has anything happened with Bassong yet? If we sold Lescott and brought in Richards and Bassong to cover then I'd be ok with that. I think Tuncay would be a very good utility midfielder. Can play anywhere except defensive mid, and if we bring in Defour then we'll have plenty of cover there with Lurch and Rodders.

I would have to hope that Liege won't bend us over too badly on this if it's true, as we were more than fair with our offer for Felli.

i know most of the stories are only speculation, but from what we are reading its pretty obvious moyes wants a quality hard working midfielder coming in. if we can get Defour for £13m i'd be very very happy! id rather see him than m'bia and i think hes a bit more disciplined than cana. would be a step forward for us imo

£13M for Defour, get him!

Edited by StevO

This lad is top class and would be a great signing for us.

However he will cost more than fellaini did and unfortunately if its true about the other clubs mentioned then i think we may lose out on him, I hope him fells are mates and he pulls a few strings for us.

Even if we dont get him it once again shows the intention/ambition of the club now as i remember only a few seasons ago talking about signing the likes of sean davis,michael dawson etc