IGNORED

Steven Defour

Can't comment because in all honesty I can't bring myself to look at it :( .

Didn't look at the Eduardo one either.

May be to do with seeing my dad get a horrific break playing football when I was a lad....bone sticking out of the shin :unsure: .

Just can't watch these bad ones.

Has Defour been interviewed by the press over the tackle? Have there been any quotes from him on what happened?

Yes, minutes after the game:

Journalist: what are you going to say to Witsel? You know it was a horrible tackle

Defour: Yes uhm.. i don't want to go into that, I only want to say that if the ref. had blown his whistle for 2 faults on me ( secons earlier, arguable faults btw) it would have been a different story

Besides being one of the biggest prospects in Belgian football, He is one of the biggest pricks aswell.

Ban him as long as the other player is out for, that will stop this. Only a matter of time before this happened, at 29 the other chap is probably finished and will miss a world cup campaign also. Sickening tackle.

Totally agree with the above. Tackles made with such malice and intent should be dealt with in much more serious manner. minimum of ten game ban (if the other player isn't seriously injured), wages during this period stopped or the banned for the same length of time the injury lasts for. If a career is ended (like this one could be) criminal charges should be made against the player.

Witsel appealed the original 10 game suspension and 2500 Euro fine.

On appeal he got 8 games and a 250 Euro fine.

I don't mind the fine because to him 2500 is the same as 250, either case I don't know why they imposed it.

But the 8 games is absurd.

The guy with the broken leg always started for the Polish national team and now misses out on a chance to play in South Africa, he's 29 and was at the top of his abilities.

Defour and Witsel both are getting death threats and Witsel's house is under police surveillance.. with a strong judgment the appellate body could have defused the situation .. instead they chose to aggravate it ...

----

a video instead of a .gif : http://www.sporza.be/cm/sporza/videozone/MG_programmas/MG_Extra_Time/2.6923/1.589922

Edited by holystove

It's an outrage, if someone did that to you on a sunday morning or 7 a side, there would be severe consequences, not to mention a riot.

To appeal against the ban is disgraceful may as well say "yes, what i did was wrong, the victim may never play again, will lose a potential fortune, but do you know what, a ten game ban is a bit harsh?!"

For defour to state that it wouldn't have happened if the ref had blown up earlier deserves the outrage it has caused, maybe if someone gave him a good smack in the mouth they could use the excuse "if you chose your words carefully that wouldn't have happened!" - see how that sits with the club captain.

They should play that clip to all professional footballers as a reminder of the responsibilty that they have to eachother.

It's an outrage, if someone did that to you on a sunday morning or 7 a side, there would be severe consequences, not to mention a riot.

There were three leg breaks in my team's league matches last season. The air ambulance guys remarked that there are an awful amount of ambulances going out on Saturdays and Sundays across the region. I'm sure it's not particular to where I'm from.

The tackles in question were reckless, similar to this one, but you can't know for certain what someone was trying to do. In two of the three instances in my league, there was no sending off. In one case this was probably correct (the injured player comitted the foul gazza-style).

Irnocially, the guy on my team that broke another guy's leg broke his two months later. Justice possibly?

All I can say is that it's 100 times worse to be there and hear the sickening screams of the injured person than watching online.

Not football related but... Played last preseason game for my rugby team today and had to get the air ambulance out for a lad on the opposition. Looked like he'd bust his neck.

2nd one in 3 weeks. The other lad dislocated his spine. Couple of operations later and by the sounds of things he's started to get feeling back in his fingers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

To be honest I can't see either of those teams making an offer for him as he has been injured quiet a lot this season (again). By the way, Gerrard and Defour are totally different players.

On a sidenote, Axel Witsel has been brilliant this season. He's been Standard's standout player this season and has got 13 goals and 6 assists in all competitions so far. I think he could be the perfect Tim Cahill replacement.

To be honest I can't see either of those teams making an offer for him as he has been injured quiet a lot this season (again). By the way, Gerrard and Defour are totally different players.

On a sidenote, Axel Witsel has been brilliant this season. He's been Standard's standout player this season and has got 13 goals and 6 assists in all competitions so far. I think he could be the perfect Tim Cahill replacement.

I know it's got to happen one day...but it still sends a cold shiver down my spine when I see the words "Tim Cahill" and "replacement" in the same sentence!!

• 1 month later...