IGNORED

Steven Defour

He's a CM who can and has played as a CDM

He's not a box to box player but he does like to get forward but then again what CM doesn't? He's far better at breaking up and building play in a more defensive manner in my eyes then his is going forward.

He's as mobile as a static caravan so the defensive side suits him down to the ground. Edited by Romey 1878

Definetly is a deep playmaker isn't he? Which has to be a form of a defensive midfielder IMO.

thatd be my opinion. if we were playing FM I'd be putting him MC or DMC playmaker. Not sure he has the legs to be box to box and I've never seen him playing as an AM. Just because he can score goals from further back doesn't make him a box to box, means he pushes up with the rest of the team and shoots from distance...

thatd be my opinion. if we were playing FM I'd be putting him MC or DMC playmaker. Not sure he has the legs to be box to box and I've never seen him playing as an AM. Just because he can score goals from further back doesn't make him a box to box, means he pushes up with the rest of the team and shoots from distance...

My judgement of a box to box was wrong. Just from what I'd seen of him. Admittedly not much. However I wouldn't brand him a defensive midfielder. Carsley, Makelele??? That's a DM

My judgement of a box to box was wrong. Just from what I'd seen of him. Admittedly not much. However I wouldn't brand him a defensive midfielder. Carsley, Makelele??? That's a DM

he's not a ball winning DM like the 2 you mentioned.

God, I wish we still had Carsley :(

he's not a ball winning DM like the 2 you mentioned.

God, I wish we still had Carsley :(

My take on a "defensive midfielder" is this. Win the ball back - distribute...sole purpose. Defour for me retains the ball and builds up play wouldn't say he was an DM at all. Considering Makelele made that term his. He's absolutely nothing like him.

My take on a "defensive midfielder" is this. Win the ball back - distribute...sole purpose. Defour for me retains the ball and builds up play wouldn't say he was an DM at all. Considering Makelele made that term his. He's absolutely nothing like him.

čompletely agree, was more pointing out he tends to sit deep rather than central :)

Well Defour is a very good manmarker. For instance I remember he kept Wesley Sneijder out of the game completely once. In that game I was impressed of his DM capabilities. Otherwise I think he's a good passer. I don't know if he's what Everton needs right now, but he would do fine.

Edited by Mirallas

Guest Nikica

He's one of those midfielders who is generally very good but never gets the credit he deserves. Moutinho and Rakitic are other underrated types.

He's one of those midfielders who is generally very good but never gets the credit he deserves. Moutinho and Rakitic are other underrated types.

Moutinho was suppsoed to be his main contender for a place in Porto's starting line-up, but Moutinho left Porto a year ago and Defour is still not always a starting player.

Defour is pretty good defensively. He's not going to overpower anyone to win the ball and he's not going to outpace players that have a head start on him to stop counter attacks, but he's smart about his defensive positioning and pressing players at the right time. Like Mirallas said, he's been used in the past to manmark a particular opponent. He's done it for Belgium against Sneijder and Modric and he manmarked Mbark Boussoufa for Standard in two games against Anderlecht that would decide the championship. It's not often teams have any use for that ability though. He's also been a vocal leader pretty much from when he was 17 years old.

Offensively, he's got decent enough close control to receive the ball under pressure and he's gonna let the ball circulate from left to right. But really don't expect any incisive passing at all or long range shots. If he ever scores a goal, it's probably because one of his weak-ass shots got deflected and the goalkeeper was already going the other way.

I guess that his skills could fit into our tactical setup pretty well, he's pretty much a right-footed Gareth Barry. It'd be nice to be able to get someone with a little bit extra though.

Guest Nikica

Moutinho was suppsoed to be his main contender for a place in Porto's starting line-up, but Moutinho left Porto a year ago and Defour is still not always a starting player.

Yep. I rate all three players mentioned though yet we never seem to hear a lot about any of them on these shores. I do think Moutinho is the best of the three however.

True. Defour is still a good player though.

Yeah he should be within EFC's financial means and while he won't be a star player, he's one of those guys who could become a fan's favorite. Perhaps you should observe him at the world cup so you get an idea of the kind of midfielder he is.

Guest Nikica

Yeah he should be within EFC's financial means and while he won't be a star player, he's one of those guys who could become a fan's favorite. Perhaps you should observe him at the world cup so you get an idea of the kind of midfielder he is.

Thanks. I have seen enough to know he's talented but not as extensively as you. I look forward to seeing him play at the World Cup. Witsel is another player I like.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...