IGNORED

Hello From France

expatried dijon fan

• 2 weeks later...

Seul un peu. Je planifie un voyage a France cet ete. Ou doit-on aller en France? Je veux voire Nice, Toulouse, et Bretagne. Que pensez-vous?

Nice and Toulouse are magnificent cities :) But has Nice it has many old people there :D Toulouse is a student city :)

I leave in Bretagne and it's a beautiful region, like Ireland ;)

But i'm born in Beaune in Bourgogne and if you like wine it's formidable :)

Le francais ce n'est pas trop difficile! C'est plus facile comparativement a l'Allemand!

Disagree...German's much easier than French for me. Got a better O level result in German than I did in French and I only did it for three years against five for French (plus some basic at primary school).

You want difficult? Try Greek. I've had three or four aborted attempts to learn it so far. But I'll get it one day :) . Also had a South African girlfriend once who tried to teach me some Xhosa...has loads of different "click" sounds in it as well as normal verbal stuff. Totally impossible.

Disagree...German's much easier than French for me. Got a better O level result in German than I did in French and I only did it for three years against five for French (plus some basic at primary school).

You want difficult? Try Greek. I've had three or four aborted attempts to learn it so far. But I'll get it one day :) . Also had a South African girlfriend once who tried to teach me some Xhosa...has loads of different "click" sounds in it as well as normal verbal stuff. Totally impossible.

Had a colleague who could speak Xhosa, had an ear-shattering click! as for German, it took a while to click with me but once it did was simple. It was the cases that through me. My trouble is trying to practice all 4 languages (speak dutch and learning spanish now too, so hopefully soon to be 5) and keep the vocab up.

Not interested in Greek, same with Russian - cant deal with another alphabet!!!!

Had a colleague who could speak Xhosa, had an ear-shattering click! as for German, it took a while to click with me but once it did was simple. It was the cases that through me. My trouble is trying to practice all 4 languages (speak dutch and learning spanish now too, so hopefully soon to be 5) and keep the vocab up.

Not interested in Greek, same with Russian - cant deal with another alphabet!!!!

Dutch must be relativly easy for you, no?

some sentences are almost completly the same:

My hand is in warm water->Mijn hand is in warm water

Dutch must be relativly easy for you, no?

some sentences are almost completly the same:

My hand is in warm water->Mijn hand is in warm water

Dutch is quiet easy, same grammar for the most part as german and for the vocab too. If its not german-ish then try english! After that... well... as is mentioned below, they nearly all speak fluent english anyway (and every other language too!)

What advantage is there in learning dutch? Seems to be a complete waste of effort to me because almost everyone in the Dutch speaking parts of the world (Belgium, The Netherlands, Suriname, (South Africa), Netherlands Antilles) speaks English.

No advantage, just i was living there and thought it would be polite. But it was impossible, they hear youre english and speak english! Same now in Geneve, trying to keep my french up to date but everyone wants to practice their english (except the dutch, they just want to show off!). Tis a little annoying!

Hell you want a hard language to speak, try living on Anglesey like I do. Ok the locals speak English with a bit of a Scouse accent, but the Welsh language is awful to try and learn.

Nantes:

Bonjour mon ami. Comment?

Rubecul ahello my friend how are you?

I'm sad because Everton lost and Dijon my home town made draw! :(

If you want ;) My future job is teacher of History and Geographie so... :)

But french is so hard :(

Thank you

Well, not like this welcome thread hasn't gone off topic, but could any of you multilingual lads tell me the absolute best way for someone to learn a new language? Be it French or otherwise, I've been eager to learn for a while and have a knack for pronuciation. I've done Rosetta Stone for a bit, but will it work if I get back into it?

Well, not like this welcome thread hasn't gone off topic, but could any of you multilingual lads tell me the absolute best way for someone to learn a new language? Be it French or otherwise, I've been eager to learn for a while and have a knack for pronuciation. I've done Rosetta Stone for a bit, but will it work if I get back into it?

I'll tell you the way most people here learn English. Endless hours of television :). After a while you're no longer reading the subtitles. And it's why during the Seinfeld era, everyone in Belgium spoke with a NY accent :D.

My English is better than my French, even though in schools here you only get 4 years of English compared to 8 mandatory years of French. While at university my grades were always better for the courses taught in English than in French. All thanks to TV.

So I would advice you to start enjoying French Cinema :).

Edited by holystove

I'll tell you the way most people here learn English. Endless hours of television :). After a while you're no longer reading the subtitles. And it's why during the Seinfeld era, everyone in Belgium spoke with a NY accent :D.

My English is better than my French, even though in schools here you only get 4 years of English compared to 8 mandatory years of French. While at university my grades were always better for the courses taught in English than in French. All thanks to TV.

So I would advice you to start enjoying French Cinema :).

Completly true. my english at 12 years old was better then my french is now (after getting french lessons in school for about 8 years)

• 3 months later...

Hello Guys!

I'm from France too, what a surprise with this nickname...

I'm new on this website but before sign in, I sometimes went on in and read some news about Everton.

I support Toulouse in France, but my second team is Everton that's why I am here now, I follow your team since 3 years or something like that.

You know in France a lot of people talk about Big Four (Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool) and they summarise English Premier league by this way. That's wrong, people who follow football know that. Everton is quite underrated, but you have really good quality players.

Personally I watched around 25 Everton's game this season and 20 last year. More than that I went on Liverpool on march to practise my English and of course watch some games, I went to Goodison Par for Everton-Hull 5-1 what an amazing game, it was absolutely fantastic and also the last game at home for Donovan with people singing USA!USA! :)

I went to Everton-Bolton 2-0 with French and Spanish mates, I saw Elmander from Bolton who is a legend in my club, and had the ened of the game I had some autographes from Everton Players around 10 of them but not Saha :(, anyway it was a really good experience and my teacher there was an Evertonian too.

I'm sorry if I made some mistakes in my English...

Edited by Frenchman