IGNORED

Axel Witsel

He has a lot of qualities (he's physically strong, has great technique, nice pace, a good shot) but still a lot of the time he doesn't really stand out. That's why I don't think he's ready for a club like Everton. For a player with his qualities he isn't dominant enough in the game. Plus he needs to straighten things out first as there has been a lot of controversy around him because of the red cards against Anderlecht (although 1 of them was yellow at most), also contrary to what the article claims Standard doesn't want to sell him. If Everton would buy another Standard-player, they should go for Defour.

I dont Know Much about Defour, but i thought he was a completely different type of player to Pienarr, were Pienarr is always going forward, on the overlap etc and can play right across the midfield, and correct me if im wrong, but i thought Defour was more or less a Felliani but a foot shorter, okay going forward and pretty good defensive wise.

As for the Topic, cant say i know much about the guy at all.

I dont Know Much about Defour, but i thought he was a completely different type of player to Pienarr, were Pienarr is always going forward, on the overlap etc and can play right across the midfield, and correct me if im wrong, but i thought Defour was more or less a Felliani but a foot shorter, okay going forward and pretty good defensive wise.

When Fellaini was still at Standard Defour played in a more attacking role and was very good at it. When Mo left, Defour had to take the defensive midfielder position.

So in the words of wikipedia : "He is capable of playing as an attacking midfielder, centre midfielder and defensive midfielder."

I compared him to Pienaar because just like him Defour just keeps running and never gives up. He's just as good technically but is a better passer with great vision. He won the best player in Belgium award at age 19 (he's 21 now) and has been captain of the best team in Belgium for two years now.

He would be an instant hit at Goodison. Too good to be true I fear.

I think you can see from replays that Steven lowers his foot as he's about to make contact which eases the impact further and results in the torn socks. Not so with Witsel's insane tackle.

Me, I just thought it was great to see Peanuts bounce back from Carragher's tackle.

Fellaini caught a lot more flake in Sweden for his tackle on Kyrgiakos which I think is outrageous. And a bit ridiculous.

You are correct!

I was watching the game on Swedish television even.. One of the studio-people went as far as to say that Fellaini was fully deserving of 7-8 games out due to injury since he escaped punishment from the ref. I've actually never heard anything that unprofessional and biased since starting to watch games some 20 years back. And I actually thought he was a pretty ok commentator up til now.

• 2 months later...

I'd take Witsel but i fear that one of the only reasons he really wants to get away is because of that horrifc challege, and he probably still gets threats?

Belgium boys...whats Witsel been like recently?

Witsel's been playing great after his suspension. There used to be a lot of criticism last year because he let his form dip after he won the Belgian Golden Shoe, an award for the best player in Belgium. And he continued his bad form in the beginning of this season but since the suspension he's been doing really good. People used to say that he couldn't play good without Defour playing next to him but he's showing now that he can take on Defour's role and lead the team. He's a lot more involved in games now.

By the way, in Belgian press it's said that Witsel is more likely to stay another season and might even extend his contract untill 2015, like Defour and Carcela did.

Edited by Steve_E

"Everton ? C’est effectivement un club du top qui dispose d’une très bonne équipe." Good quote that.

don't want him near the club after THAT challenge. disgraceful behavious

He has been a different player after that horrible challenge. I'm willing to just put it down to the fact that everything surrounding that game got everyone riled up and, being a young player, he got carried away .. no way he ever wanted the other player to be injured like that. He's been excellent since he's back, both in Europe and in Belgium (scoring, controlling a game, he's very strong, ...). He would make Everton a better team, no doubt.

Not as great a signing as Defour would be (please sign Defour, Moyes!), but he's probably a lot cheaper. £7-9m would probably do it (depending on the recovery of the pound :) ). Same price I'd put on Vertonghen and to be honest for Everton I'd prefer Witsel.

I'd take Witsel but i fear that one of the only reasons he really wants to get away is because of that horrifc challege, and he probably still gets threats?

No it's done and over with. Anderlecht will win the title and they played well in Europe so it didn't impact their season all that much. But most importantly it's Witsel's performances that made everyone forget that tackle.

Edited by holystove

"Everton ? C’est effectivement un club du top qui dispose d’une très bonne équipe." Good quote that.

He has been a different player after that horrible challenge. I'm willing to just put it down to the fact that everything surrounding that game got everyone riled up and, being a young player, he got carried away .. no way he ever wanted the other player to be injured like that. He's been excellent since he's back, both in Europe and in Belgium (scoring, controlling a game, he's very strong, ...). He would make Everton a better team, no doubt.

Not as great a signing as Defour would be (please sign Defour, Moyes!), but he's probably a lot cheaper. £7-9m would probably do it (depending on the recovery of the pound :) ). Same price I'd put on Vertonghen and to be honest for Everton I'd prefer Witsel.

No it's done and over with. Anderlecht will win the title and they played well in Europe so it didn't impact their season all that much. But most importantly it's Witsel's performances that made everyone forget that tackle.

you can say there's no way he wanted to all you want, you see tackles like shawcross on ramsey and taylor on eduardo, and they're awful but you can't see much intent there it's jsut anawful challenge. THAT witsel one was a fucking disgrace, not attempt to pull out of it when he was clearly going to make contact. any punishment he got was nowhere near severe enough in my eyes, it was absolutely ridiculous. i don't think hardly anyone who watches that clip would say he didn't mean it, maybe he didn't mean for the leg to entirely snap like it did, but there's no effort to pull out when he knew he was going to seriously hurt the player...it's far too blatent. he should have been banned for atleast 7 months.

Craccer, i see where youre coming from, especially seeing how he reacted after the card and i think the ban shouldve been longer. Its not even his 1st horrific tackle from what ive read. But he is 21 and a fantastic talent. If he can be discipled properly, and Moyes would be the man to do so, then take him on but it is a gamble. Ive not heard him doing wrong since then, maybe Holystove can enlighten further.

There are one or 2 tackles ive seen by our boys in blue that couldve been just as nasty if theyd connected (Pienaar on Mascherano springs to mind - 2 inches higher and that leg wouldve snapped in 2, end of career). Not to mention Duncans throttling and punching of players. For other teams there was Keane, Gerrard has made some terrible challenges.... the list of vicious bastards in the game goes on and on!

Edited by galacticaracnid