IGNORED

Axel Witsel

Reminds me of when we were pursuing lukaku after his loan season. That scenario was more dissapointing as he had been exposed to our club in its best season for years... the fans got behind him but he wanted more prestige. That person is still evident now as he has been touting for a move since he signed a 5 year deal.

Witsel either comes or he doesn't... just make your fookin mind up lad. Not many wanted you after your horrible leg breaker a few years ago. For me it's him or carvalho. They are being brought in to do an unspectacular job so no doubt even if they are excellent at it they will be subject to the mccarthy shouts of "doesn't do enough".

I want one midfield water carrier - not two. So it will be this lad (or carvalho) + barkley for me. Barry as squad rotation... Mccarthy sold on.

There is absolutely no evidence that we have even made him an offer and people are slating him for being greedy , Everton that!

Dunc there is no smoke without fire mate, I think it's footballs worst kept secret that we've bid and put a contractboffer on the table. Every major news outlet, ITK, Everton forum and Everton page have reported it.

I've no problem with him going elsewhere for the money, just fucking hurry up and do it because I'm sick to the back teeth of it's on, it's off, he wants more money, a bigger signing on fee, he wants to go to Italy and the gazillion other reasons he's not signed. If he does sign now half the fanbase wont want him, if he doesn't get off to a flier he'll be an expensive floo because the fans will be on his back.

Can't believe you're blaming Lukaku for this Haf ?? when he came he just came there was no drama at all over it.

There was... he said with 6 or 7 games to go in his loan season that he will sign for a champions league club only... which kinda wasn't good timing as we had top 4 in our own hands.

Prior and after the world cup he pimped himself out and we were the only club to offer the asking price. Since then I've never really got the feeling that he bought into the club.

So bearing this in mind the witsel situation is a bit similar. I don't think we are a top choice for him, he's hedging his bets. Will he see us as a stepping stone if he decides to grave us with his presence? Quite possibly.

I suppose this is where we are right now. Like when city signed Robinho. Essentially I'm agreeing with you but using lukaku as an example... you know how I never miss a opportunity to do that.

Btw is he back tomorrow or will he be still following Paul Pogba around?

Edited by Hafnia

If we end up paying him £100k plus a week I'll be very pissed off. There is much, much better out there for that kind of money. He's no better than Fellaini.

"we"

I don't want to be nitpicky, but it's for these situations that I always talk in third person ("EFC"). They know what they're doing imo.

Edited by Mirallas

We make up part of Everton, we are the fans.

"They", the people who know what they are doing brought you Niasse, and Mcgeady.

Yeah, people aren't as easy to predict as cattle. Sometimes you see something in a person and you have a vision of how someone fits into the EFC of tomorrow, but for some reason it doesn't work out. Even if in McGeady's case you can go like "told you so", it's still hindsight talk.

I think Witsel is a good choice for the holding midfield. But you never know do you.

It's actually a Spurs-like transfer. A pretty expensive, but just below world class mercenary. (no coincidence that they have a contingent of 4 first team Belgians) That doesn't mean it's a bad thing, Spurs did great last season.

Edited by Mirallas

Yeah, people aren't as easy to predict as cattle. Sometimes you see something in a person and you have a vision of how someone fits into the EFC of tomorrow, but for some reason it doesn't work out. Even if in McGeady's case you can go like "told you so", it's still hindsight talk.

I think Witsel is a good choice for the holding midfield. But you never know do you.

I hope with Koeman and Walsh the number of Niasse's and McGeady's brought into the club will fall dramatically.

I think Witsel is talented but I think he hasn't proved himself. He took the easy option of going to Russia, I just don't know if he has the desire to be successful in the UK, I just think he is someone who has coasted through his career. Hope I'm wrong and if we sign him I will cheer him on.

Well... easy option of going to Russia, that may be how you see their competition, but within the competition he has won several titles and played as one of the stars of the team. He was brought in together with Hulk, but proved to be a much more effective signing than Hulk. Before that, he only played for Benfica for one season, I think, but in that season he has won the hearts of the Lisbon fans and they were aggravated by the fact that he left Benfica for Zenit (€40m! one year after a €7m transfer from Standard to Benfica), while he could have gone to the Primera Division. All in all I think there's worse transfers to get for that money.

Edited by Mirallas

Stop with the 120k a week crap. That was a journo making stuff up. The semi credible hour is said its 60k a week and 20-25m pounds. It's not 30m and 120k a week guys just relax.

We need this type of player. If koeman likes him and can utilize him in his system then let's get him in.

Yeah the 30m thing was actually in euros btw, and it was from some Italian source I have never heard of.

Witsel is better than any player we currently have in that position and would be an excellent signing. Everything else (had the contract for weeks etc) is all hear say. And even so, its good to think about where you want to be instead of just jumping at the first contract.

Ill start a new rumour, he also has a contract from Real Madrid on the table but prefers the offer from the blues. He told his agent that he is a fan of the toffees.

Happy?

Whether you think Witsel has "proven" anything in his career, especially if you're likely to discount anything he's accomplished if he didn't do it in England (he does have 73 international caps and 80 European appearances, including several in the knockout stages of the Champions League), doesn't really matter: you pay for ability and he's a better player than Gibson, Besic, McCarthy and Barry.

Zenit's manager has just said that he has recently asked his club to let him go, but that Zenit won't let him leave easily as he's a key player. I think I saw that posted somewhere in this very thread, so how do people still think he's kept Everton waiting for three weeks with everything but his signature still being required to get a deal through?

Edited by Steve_E

The way I see it is this....

The premier league clubs earned mega bucks... agents know how to convert this into the players earnings.

When you are in for a player who is good enough to play for a top 5 club then they demand the relevant money.

You can choose to pay it or lose them to a rival and go for a mahrez or Vardy and when they prove they are good you pay them ££££ or lose them.

Ultimately the best proven players cost you.

Witsel is better than any player we currently have in that position and would be an excellent signing. Everything else (had the contract for weeks etc) is all hear say. And even so, its good to think about where you want to be instead of just jumping at the first contract.

Ill start a new rumour, he also has a contract from Real Madrid on the table but prefers the offer from the blues. He told his agent that he is a fan of the toffees.

Happy?

But is he a better option than other players out there like Carvalho? In my opinion no.

I heard Real Madrid were interested as well and did offer a contract, but then withdrew it because he dicked them around and they thought there were better options.

But is he a better option than other players out there like Carvalho? In my opinion no.

I heard Real Madrid were interested as well and did offer a contract, but then withdrew it because he dicked them around and they thought there were better options.

I can't say as I haven't seen a lot of Carvalho, which is why I'm not making a big fuss about this.

I can't say as I haven't seen a lot of Carvalho, which is why I'm not making a big fuss about this.

Carvalho played all the matches and minutes at the 2015 European Under-21 Championship. He was elected player of the tournament due to his performances, even though he missed the decisive attempt in the penalty shootout in the final against Sweden, with it saved by Patrik Carlgren after a 0–0 draw in Prague.[21][22][23][24][25]

At UEFA Euro 2016 in France, Carvalho was suspended from Portugal's semi-final victory over Wales, but regained his place from Danilo in the final, a 1–0 win over the hosts at the Stade de France.

Carvalho played all the matches and minutes at the 2015 European Under-21 Championship. He was elected player of the tournament due to his performances, even though he missed the decisive attempt in the penalty shootout in the final against Sweden, with it saved by Patrik Carlgren after a 0–0 draw in Prague.[21][22][23][24][25]

At UEFA Euro 2016 in France, Carvalho was suspended from Portugal's semi-final victory over Wales, but regained his place from Danilo in the final, a 1–0 win over the hosts at the Stade de France.

And?

Where would you put the Russian league in terms of quality and competitiveness in regard to other European leagues?

Well as far as my opinion is relevant on the matter, I rate the Russian league below Italy, Germany, England and Spain, but above Belgium, Netherlands and Portugal. I see it as more or less on par with France (except PSG). Thanks to Russian money.

Edited by Mirallas

He was only dicking Real around because he wants to sign for Everton ;)

Player of the tournament at the Euro U21's in 2015, played in all but one match in the 2016 Euros and played very well indicates to me that he is a very good player.

In my opinion is a better option that Witsel.

Royston Drenthe won player of the tournament at the Euro U21s once as well, and you should have seen his teammates Ryan Babel and top-goalscorer Maceo Rigters! It's a youth competition and pretty much meaningless. Congrats on him being a Portugal international, he's not likely to be shit but that's about all that tells you.