IGNORED

The Elections....

Louis

Shaddap you that's a bit of Gaeilge grammar seeping into my English!

I'd vote Lib Dem simply because they're the only party brave enough to admit that Britain doesn't need a nuclear deterrent anymore. Britain already has the resources to conventionally level any nation that would dare oppose it with nuclear weapons, bar Russia/China. And it's not like a couple of nukes in a submarine would put off Russia/China.

£100bn saved right there.

Though I admit I'm biased against the Conservatives as an Irishman :P

Im half and half with this... While I think it would be a good idea to save a shit load of money, I am unsure as to how much it would harm us in regards to acting as deterrent. As you say it probably wont harm us at all, but Im not sure I would take that risk?!

I would rather we left Europe if I am honest. When you consider we spend around £6-8billion a year (it also increases every year!) and £124bil on EU Regulation alone since 1998 then that is our national debt more or less wiped out!

You add the both trident and Europe together and there is a bucket full of money that could be used to properly fund the NHS, Schools, , pensions, the MOJ and the MOD.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but very interesting, thanks

It's give or take the system we have, isn't it? Doesn't seem to work that well over here :).

As for UKIP, it's the same argument as for BNP .. it's a vote based on a complete lack of knowledge. However I would agree that the policy of the Lib Dems in regards to Europe, for example the introduction of the Euro, is probably too progressive for the UK. From the point of view of democratic legitimacy, the UK is not yet ready.

Polls suggest a Conservative/DUP coalition though.

Looking at the earliest projections that's looking borderline.

They're currently projecting about 315 for the Tories, and if you add nine or ten DUP's that's right on the edge. Would be unworkable.

Labour at about 200 plus the Libdems just over 100 doesn't add up either.

Still have a (nasty) feeling the Conservatives will just sneak an overall majority myself....the prospect of Cameron as PM terrifies me :( .

im curious as to why people are anti-conservative...not that im saying cameron is god, but i have the manifesto on my desktop, i've read it a few times and i've seen some issues with it in the news and such, but to me it seems to be the most realistic (when compared to lib dems) and most positive (when compared to labour). just wondering what it is that people don't like, how about you mike?

i know the old classic conservative poor poower rich richer theme is an issue with most, but they've made an attempt there with the national insurance policy and interest rates and looking to provide more jobs to youths particularly trades to help those in poverty that perhaps don't have the educationm and then there's the tax breaks for families that im sure will help a lot of 'poorer' people out. i understand that inevitably there will be some issues with tax, but i genuinely think that if we want to reform the economy then conservatives are the only real option right now.

on the lib dem front...they may be holding off on the euro for now, but consider how sterling has fallen against the dollar since they appeared as a genuine contender and made a hung parliament more likely. coalitions can work, but obviously they rely on forming that common ground i nthe first place, but the oscurity has been hurting sterling and a hung parliament, which would likely lead to another election to be called, will only add to this...by the end of all of that the damage may well be done with sterlign facing the abys and thus giving added weight to the lib dems euro argument. it's all speculation of course but i really don't want to join the euro and without certaincy the markets are less likely to prosper.

...just wondering what it is that people don't like, how about you mike?

Without going into great detail it's historical as much as anything, coupled with a huge personal loathing for Cameron.

I have a deep aversion to anything right of center, possibly some of it due to guilt over the ridiculous lifestyle I had in the Thatcher years (not that I ever voted for her) while millions of ordinary working people suffered.

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone (other than Old Etonians & aristocracy) could possibly want the bundle of pure unaduterated insincerity that is Cameron in number ten. Many do though....maybe they're seeing something I'm not :) .

I hate the system as well, I'm not overly keen on Clegg and Brown has to go. Time for a benevolent dictatorship I think. Vote for me!

seems the exit poll wasnt far off mike. it was always expected that lib dems wouldn't get that many seats. they'll have wanted more but they were never goign to get anywhere near conservatives or labour, hence why many were calling it a wasted vote...plenty of votes, but too evenly spread.

seems the exit poll wasnt far off mike. it was always expected that lib dems wouldn't get that many seats. they'll have wanted more but they were never goign to get anywhere near conservatives or labour, hence why many were calling it a wasted vote...plenty of votes, but too evenly spread.

Which is why the system needs to be changed, it's been like that my whole life :) .

It's insane that the Libdems can get (more or less) the same number of votes as Labour and end up with a fraction of the number of seats.

Was a really strange set of results. The one that made me happiest was the Tory (David Heathcoat Amory) losing to the Libdems in Wells; used to live there (my in-laws still do) and can't stand the man. Went completely against the national trend :D .

Which is why the system needs to be changed, it's been like that my whole life :) .

It's insane that the Libdems can get (more or less) the same number of votes as Labour and end up with a fraction of the number of seats.

Was a really strange set of results. The one that made me happiest was the Tory (David Heathcoat Amory) losing to the Libdems in Wells; used to live there (my in-laws still do) and can't stand the man. Went completely against the national trend :D .

Couldnt agree more, its stupid, a 1% difference in share but nearly 200 odd seats difference!? crazy!

I wouldnt trust the Lib Dems tbh. I agree that the 10k personal allowance is a good idea HOWEVER it just means they will tax you elsewhere and that will be the people who have worked hard for their money and not the lazy bastards who cant be arsed to get out of bed and go to work! Plus if you also look closely at the figures they say they will get an obscene amount from reducing tax avoidance which independent financial companies say is very unlikely!

Add this to the fact they want to remove jail sentences for less than 6 months, have an immigrant amnesty and worst of all join the Euro/Europe. It certainly isnt the party for me.

There is no way I could vote for Labour after the crap we have had to put up with in the last few years and I really dont trust Gordon Brown! The amount of spin that comes from Labour is shocking! I also detest the size of Government and how it seems everything is regulated.

I will be voting for the Tories but thats mainly because voting for anyone else is a waste. While I am slightly skeptical about how they will do it, I am 100% sure they could save shit loads in efficiency measures if they really wanted to. The amount of red tape is ridiculous! I also agree with them regards the NI increase, which just seems barmy when you are trying to increase enterprise and jobs. They also want to stop people who shouldnt be claiming the dole and reduce those on incapacity benefits.

They also want to improve discipline in schools (about time!) and reduce immigration (although I think there measures here are too weak and somewhat pointless) and their tax breaks should help those earning 20k ish more than the other parties.

If my vote really counted I would probably vote UKIP (although the financial side of their manifesto is a bit dodgy!) as I agree with most of their philosophies. The BNP are too strong for my liking, but I do think they have a couple of decent points in their manifesto but they went too far with their immigration policies IMO. Plus Nick Griffin looks like a twat...

I'm curious as to why you're against the immigrant amnesty?

All the government has is an estimate number of undocumented. They don't know who they are, where they're from, where they live, where they work or how much they earn. For all their bluster and posturing about deporting them, the other parties obviously can't because they don't know where they are! :lol: Is it not better to get those people legalised and paying tax and doing community service as punishment for breaking the law?

I think all 3 main parties have the same general policy in terms of stopping further immigration but the Lib Dems seem to be the only party with a modern, progressive solution to the undocumented already in Britain.

I think that the election result was a clear indictment of the first past the post. 23% of the vote and 52 seats for the Lib Dems as opposed to 29% of the vote and 258 seats for Labour :o

And then I saw Conservative bloggers arguing against electoral reform on Sky News earlier today. While I agree that change is not always a good thing across the board, surely only a complete dimwit doesn't see a problem in the british electoral system?

...and those with a vested interest in retaining the status quo :) .

And yet as a blogger he doesn't rely on the system to employ him! He's just one of a long-line of "bloggers" that Sky News likes to put up on a pedastel as "real" journalists because Sky News have the "web's agenda".

Let's be honest here, if the General Election only consisted of voters who frequented the internet then there would be a Liberal landslide.

But Sky News like to bring on blind, unthinking Conservative attackdogs from the internet so that the Sky presenters don't seem so biased in comparison. I just heard one of the Sky presenters say: "Although a Conservative majority would have been the best result for the markets, a Con/Lib Dem alliance is the second best option"

They're not even hiding it anymore!

Edited by Grarghsies

The BBC's exit poll first estimate is...

Tory 307

Labour 255

Libdem 59

Incredible accuracy on that.

Finished 306, 258, 57.

Biggest winners of the night NOP & Mori :mellow: ?

(And I could have gone to bed about five hours earlier :unsure: )