IGNORED

England Game

what did talksport say about jags? It won't let me read it in work!

'Former Arsenal captain Stewart Robson has told talkSPORT Phil Jagielka is not good enough to be an England regular.

The Everton ace started alongside Michael Dawson in the centre of defence in Englands 4-0 win over Bulgaria on Friday night, with first choice pairing John Terry and Rio Ferdinand ruled out through injury.

Jagielkas performance drew praise from OPR manager Neil Warnock, who has now tipped the 28-year-old to become a mainstay of Fabio Capellos side, and he will keep his place for the second European Championship qualifier against Switzerland on Tuesday.

But Robson is adamant Jagielka does not have what it takes to thrive at international level and is also unconvinced by Dawson, who was carried off during the second half of the Wembley win with a knee injury.

Robson told Hawksbee and Jacobs: If people believe that the two centre-halves that played the other night, Dawson and Jagielka, are going to be international quality theyre going to be wrong.

Ive been reading lots of reports about Jagielka being a really good player but I watched him all night and he made some really poor decisions defensively, in terms of where he should be, trying to step up at the wrong time.

Dawson, before he got injured, was coming up when he should have been going back in and he was going back in when he should have been coming up.

They didnt have a good understanding and they didnt have a good understanding in the second half against Hungary so I still think England need their experienced centre-halves.

Ive given John Terry criticism but hes still better than the two that are in there at the moment."'

'Former Arsenal captain Stewart Robson has told talkSPORT Phil Jagielka is not good enough to be an England regular.

The Everton ace started alongside Michael Dawson in the centre of defence in England’s 4-0 win over Bulgaria on Friday night, with first choice pairing John Terry and Rio Ferdinand ruled out through injury.

Jagielka’s performance drew praise from OPR manager Neil Warnock, who has now tipped the 28-year-old to become a mainstay of Fabio Capello’s side, and he will keep his place for the second European Championship qualifier against Switzerland on Tuesday.

But Robson is adamant Jagielka does not have what it takes to thrive at international level and is also unconvinced by Dawson, who was carried off during the second half of the Wembley win with a knee injury.

Robson told Hawksbee and Jacobs: “If people believe that the two centre-halves that played the other night, Dawson and Jagielka, are going to be international quality they’re going to be wrong.

“I’ve been reading lots of reports about Jagielka being a really good player but I watched him all night and he made some really poor decisions defensively, in terms of where he should be, trying to step up at the wrong time.

“Dawson, before he got injured, was coming up when he should have been going back in and he was going back in when he should have been coming up.

“They didn’t have a good understanding and they didn’t have a good understanding in the second half against Hungary so I still think England need their experienced centre-halves.

“I’ve given John Terry criticism but he’s still better than the two that are in there at the moment."'

i'm sorry but didn't he win a shit load of headers by being in the right place? the guy is talkin rhubarb of the highest order

I was impressed with us last night. Having a balanced team makes such a huge difference. It's amazing to see what you can do with two wingers in the team!

The first half was very good, kept possesion very well and as much as I hate to say it Gerrard dictated the game very well in the centre of the pitch. F365 review summed it up very well when they said it was a "study in understated excellence".

Phil McNulty's blog... http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2010/09/capello_facing_big_decisions.html

"...what of Ferdinand and his long-time defensive partner John Terry, who also missed England's maximum haul with a hamstring injury?

Jagielka, significantly described as "the 'driver' of the back four - the marshal", by Capello, has made a powerful case to keep his place against Montenegro. The Italian has been suitably impressed, singling out his link with Lescott for praise after beating Switzerland.

Again, there is no sound reason to leave Jagielka on the sidelines, so one of Terry and Ferdinand - maybe even both if circumstances dictate - must miss out. What sort of signal would it send out for a player to produce two more or less flawless performances and then watch the old guard stroll straight back in? Not exactly the indicator of a brave new dawn for England."

I thought both him and Lescott did very well, which im relieved about seeing as I called it earlier in the thread! :D

Again Jags distribution was good and he looked solid. He has to play alongside Heitinga on Saturday, not that I think Distin is a bad player, but Heits is better and we need a solid defensive partnership.

i must say first time ive seen lescott look so comfortable since joining city..granted not the best opposition and i don't see every city match but every time i did he didn't look right..i bet he's missing us :P

Seeing them play together again made me a little sad. I remembered just how good we were with them two at the center of our defence.