IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion (Home)

adamsmith69

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beat me to it Adz. I went to the good folk of wbazone.co.uk with the following questions (same as usual really):

http://www.wbazone.com/forum/index.php?topic=31660.0

1/ Do you think Di Matteo can keep you up this season, or more optimistically, can he take you further than most people expect?

2/ Danger men - who should we be looking out for and who are you worried about?

3/ If you could nab 3 of our players, who would they be?

4/ Do you expect any transfer activity in the January transfer window? If so, which area do you think you will try to improve on?

5/ The easiest question, following the loss against the Potters, what do you think the score will be at Goodison?

Some good answers, theyve definately got a sense of humour some of them!

FommyTarr

1 - If we can get back to the form of the first ten games we will be fine. We have gone off the boil a little recently and are lacking a quality striker to compliment Odemwingie, but yes, with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work, we can stay up.

2 - Brunt if he plays is very creative and we miss him massively when he is out, as witnessed Saturday v Stoke. Odemwingie has quality up front that we haven't had since Kanu and will need to be watched but he can't do it all alone. Dorrans will also hopefully start against you, so if he can re-find his form, he is a handful for anyone. Cahill always does well against us!

3 - Cahill so he doesn't score against us anymore, Rodwell for the future (and Jeremy Peaces retirement fund) and Yakubu to compliment Odemwingie.

4 - I'm not holding my breath for too much activity, but it would be nice to sell on fringe players in order to add 1 more quality forward.

5 - If we get back to earlier season form, I'm confident of a point. If not, 2-1 Everton.

StevefromOldbury

1. No

2. Mulumbu and Odemwingie. I am worried most about Scott Carson

3. Jagielka, Cahill, Rodwell

4. No, maybe loan all two, that's all - Central defender and striker needed

5. 4-0 to Everton

Gr8_Ape

1/ I think Di Matteo can keep us up this year and with the way in which we have chosen to utilise our resources this season many expect this. I think if any fan expects higher than a battle in the bottom 5 then they're being unrealistic. Majority of Albion fans seem to accept and know our place as either a yo yo side or just scraping above relegation. With Roberto Di matteo I think we've entered this Premiership season the best equiped we ever have done. Here's to hoping!

2/I could have named you all 11 men at the start of the season and now I'm struggling to find 1. Jonas Olsson was a star performer in defence before he picked up what appears to be a long term injury, he was a real threat at set piece, it's no coincidence our form has significantly dropped following his injury loss. I'd say the 1 to look out for is Chris Brunt (if fit) who has been a revelation this season. He has a deadly left foot where he can shoot from range, good with set piece deliveries and shots, and also whips in crosses reminiscent of Beckham's when at United. I cannot see us holding onto Brunt for too much longer as he appears to already be gathering attention from 'bigger' clubs.

I think it also has to be mentioned to keep an eye on our holding midfielder Mulumbu who is an excellent and integral part of our midfield. Strong, great engine, can look to attack when needed, and frustrates opposition by breaking up a lot of their play. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Odemwingie has been looking ineffective lately but not through lack of effort. He is a talented individual upfront for us who I think you should keep an eye on.

Regarding who we're watching out for, well you have numerous good outlets but the 1 I always dread is Cahill. A superb player and always a threat. However I have heard a rumour we're the only team in the Premiership yet to conceed a goal from a header...? If true I wouldn't put it past Cahill to end that record for us.

3/ Cahill, Jagielka, and a fully fit Louis Saha.

4/ I expect very little from us this January as we notoriously 'do the majority of our business in the summer'. Our chairman is not a fan of January deals due to over inflated prices and demands and this has often proven costly for us. We are weak in certain areas, we need another striker, and I also feel Carson can be a weakness of ours at times. We also need to consider if we lose the likes of Chris Brunt in January which would then mean he needs replacing. Firstly our priority should be a striker but I wont get my hopes up due to our previous history.

5/ In all honesty I am dreading this result. At the moment everything is going against us, we're going through that patch where all refereeing decisions seem to go against us, we're picking up injuries and suspensions, and the results haven't gone our way. I can see this being a 3-0 or 3-1 win for the Toffees with Cahill being first goalscorer.

All the best, I'm hoping for an Albion win. We do often surprise on the road, Di Matteo deploys tactics that sometimes suit us more on our travels than what they do at home. We like to counter attack and try to shut out the opposition and frustrate them for the opening periods of the game. We need to turn things around again or else we'll be occupying a relegation position soon if we're not careful.

Edited by Matt

StevefromOldbury-what a talkative bastard! :lol:

i can see us smashin them IF we put our chances away....so 1-0 to us

Just hope hes right about the score line. If we play something like the followin, we have a good chance in my eyes:

----------------Howard----------------

Nev ----Jags ----Distin ---- Baines

----------------Rodwell----------------

Coleman ---- Bily ----Pienaar

----------------Cahill----------------

----------------Yak----------------

When Bily gets tired, bring on Beckford and adopt a 433/4312 and attack them.

Edited by Matt

Simply have to win as mentioned.

My team would be similar to Matts:

----------Howard

Neville--Jags--Distin--Baines

---------Heitinga

Vic/Seamie--Rodwell/Bily--Pienaar

-------Cahill

--------------Yakubu

I would happily see any one of Rodwell, Bily, Pienaar or Cahill play in the two more attacking roles in the midfield. I would be most tempted to keep Cahill as the most further forward because he has been doing well.

I would definitely sub Saha and Arteta. Although if Arteta was played in a more attacking role then I would keep him there but dropping him wouldnt be a bad thing IMO.

We have the quality to beat West Brom, but the can also score goals and play well. If Yakubu starts we win, if Saha starts we lose.

I think Bailey has hit the nail on the head with this one, 'If Yakubu starts we win, if Saha starts we lose.'

I'm very nervous about this game as WBA, despite having the same number of points as us, have one more victory under their belts. If Moyes chooses a team similar to what Matt and Bailey have suggested then we might just sneak it, providing of course DM doesn't wait until the 80th minute before substituting any players who aren't giving it their all!

Simply have to win as mentioned.

My team would be similar to Matts:

----------Howard

Neville--Jags--Distin--Baines

---------Heitinga

Vic/Seamie--Rodwell/Bily--Pienaar

-------Cahill

--------------Yakubu

I would happily see any one of Rodwell, Bily, Pienaar or Cahill play in the two more attacking roles in the midfield. I would be most tempted to keep Cahill as the most further forward because he has been doing well.

I would definitely sub Saha and Arteta. Although if Arteta was played in a more attacking role then I would keep him there but dropping him wouldnt be a bad thing IMO.

We have the quality to beat West Brom, but the can also score goals and play well. If Yakubu starts we win, if Saha starts we lose.

Fair enough I would play Yak ahead of Saha but only because he is the lesser of 2 evils, I mean its not as if the Yak has been on fire is it? So I wouldnt go along with that statement.

I thought Jak was starting to look half decent on his last outing, I seriously think about starting with him ahead of Saha. Saha should be used more as a super-sub in my opinion.

Nothing less than a 3-0 win will do me here. If it turns out we have all the possession, playing the better football, and still end up coming away with a point after scoring in the final minutes, I seriously won't be responsible for my actions!

Bench Saha and bench Arteta. I'm not arsed about fancy football anymore, just give me goals and three points.

Fair enough I would play Yak ahead of Saha but only because he is the lesser of 2 evils, I mean its not as if the Yak has been on fire is it? So I wouldnt go along with that statement.

Im not expecting Yakubu to start and bang in the goals but he brings a damn site more to the teams play than Saha does. We need to hold the ball up more to bring the midfield into the game and create space for them to make an impact. Yakubu also looks to play others in which Saha wont. IMO yakubu can have an average game, yet we create more and get more opportunities. How many real open play chances did we have in the first 60mins of the last 3 games? I would guess maybe 5?

If Sahas form in the last 3 games is anything to go by we will play the ball forward and then it will come straight back to us unless Cahill intervenes. At least if we get it into Yakubus feet/body we can build an attack from him.

Im not expecting Yakubu to start and bang in the goals but he brings a damn site more to the teams play than Saha does. We need to hold the ball up more to bring the midfield into the game and create space for them to make an impact. Yakubu also looks to play others in which Saha wont. IMO yakubu can have an average game, yet we create more and get more opportunities. How many real open play chances did we have in the first 60mins of the last 3 games? I would guess maybe 5?

If Sahas form in the last 3 games is anything to go by we will play the ball forward and then it will come straight back to us unless Cahill intervenes. At least if we get it into Yakubus feet/body we can build an attack from him.

Trouble is if we get the ball 2 or 3 inches away from his feet/body it will have the same outcome ie come straight back at us!

I thought he was good on the ball a few games back when I saw him.. I bet Saha starts again.. perhaps Yak has a knock?

I'd like to see Bily given a go as I thought he was sharper in his last game..

I'm pegging this as a tough game, hoping we edge it 2-1 or 2-0. A late Everton goal (final 10mins).