IGNORED

Everton Giants Welcome Dunc

Matt

he was a thug who looked good in a poor team and scored a few important goals. I dont get the hero worship but will accept that he had his role during his time with us and did it well. He wasnt a bad player, average maybe, but for all that, he doesnt deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those mentioned in the article.

Ferguson would have been a very good player if injuries hadn't mounted up and crippled him. He was a proper old-fashioned centre forward, with great aerial presence and, for a big man, two good feet. On his day, he was a real, real handful. I think he epitomised the dogs of war spirit and galvanised the team for years. As a fan, whether or not you like him as a player or person, I don't think you can take that away from him.

Edited by formby

When speaking to an ex Everton great - a true legend I asked him of his opinion. It was balanced but very frank in the words that were spoken.

It more or less resembled the school report of a truly gifted child with the ability to lead and make things look effortless but truly frustrated the teacher to the point of anger as they didn't turn up or show interest.

In short a great person, unbelievably talented - but unfortunately shortchanged the fans who may not have understood how good he could have been. This bloke knew how good he could have been and is still angry about it.

When you take that into account and also comments that were made by Shearer, Joe Royle etc regarding "on his day" - maybe he did leave us shortchanged. At the time I guess we were just happy with something.

Big Dunc helped save us the year he came on loan, his best days were always against teams in Red! Thats why he was idolised he also had an ability to connect with the fans a scally done good kinda thing! He maybe never reached the level he should have but will always be fondly remembered for terrorising the Shites defenders!

To the lads in the stands back then Duncan felt like one of us on the pitch. We had nothing to be happy about but it always felt like one of us was trying to make a difference.

That's how it felt to me and the lads around me back then.

In reality he was gifted but for various reasons we never saw the best of the man.

If he would have gone to a team like united with giggs and beckham back then, he would have scored a lot more goals.

He isn't a great in terms of the true legends we have had in the past, but he was there when the fans needed a hero. Just not often enough.

I think the issue with Dunc's reputation is recentism. He was the main man for almost a decade in the 90s and 00s and to many, he was the stand out player.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there Louis

I knew this would ruffle a few feathers but to me he fully deserves his place in Everton folklore. Anyone who witnessed the great reception he got against City could not argue with the adulation he still gets from most match going Evertonians(me included)

I suppose he is a bit like marmite in here, you either love him or hate him but I wish we had a forward on our books now who had an ounce of his passion for the club.

I would have loved to have seen him in the same side as Trevor Steven and Kevin Sheedy, just imagine how good he would have been with a bit of service.

I have been fortunate enough to have met the big man and anyone who calls him a thug has clearly not had the same pleasure

To the lads in the stands back then Duncan felt like one of us on the pitch. We had nothing to be happy about but it always felt like one of us was trying to make a difference.

Thats how i should have put it thanx Stev0.

In reality he was gifted but for various reasons we never saw the best of the man.

If he would have gone to a team like united with giggs and beckham back then, he would have scored a lot more goals.

He isn't a great in terms of the true legends we have had in the past, but he was there when the fans needed a hero. Just not often enough.

I think thats the big difference though.

For what ever reason he seems to polarise opinion amongst the internet fans yet he is still idolised by the vast majority of match going fans.

Think you have hit the nail on the head there Louis

I knew this would ruffle a few feathers but to me he fully deserves his place in Everton folklore. Anyone who witnessed the great reception he got against City could not argue with the adulation he still gets from most match going Evertonians(me included)

I suppose he is a bit like marmite in here, you either love him or hate him but I wish we had a forward on our books now who had an ounce of his passion for the club.

I would have loved to have seen him in the same side as Trevor Steven and Kevin Sheedy, just imagine how good he would have been with a bit of service.

I have been fortunate enough to have met the big man and anyone who calls him a thug has clearly not had the same pleasure

My niece was toffee girl against Leeds back when dacourt got sent off. The person who made the day was no one other than Duncan. My brother being a blue who expects nothing but the best from a player lucky enough to wear the shirt could not have any more praise for him. A gent who made the fans feel 10 foot tall when he spoke to them. The reast of the players went through the motions, Duncan was generous with his time and made the day.

From the oficial site

"Those who have fought with an unstinting passion, those who have entertained, those to have worn the shirt with boundless pride and those to have made an impression so lasting that it passes from one generation to the next.

And if there was ever any doubt that Duncan belonged in such esteemed company, it was instantly dispelled in those raw moments as he was presented to the crowd before the win over Man City - Goodison rising in unison to salute one of its favourite sons."

Love him or hate him I dont think anybody could argue with that

I know of young kids, now men who loved Big Dunc and became lifelong Evertonians. I know of old men (and ladies) who liked his mad old fashioned style of playing and it reignited their passion for Everton. Hell I even know a lady Kopite that changed allegiance after meeting Bug Dunc in the flesh.

He deserves his credit. Besides who amongst you would liked to have hospitalised a burgler. After my home was done three times in a month, I know I would have loved to have damaged the b*stards, so he instantly became a hero of sorts to me. Oh and I am a true Evertonian, no player who pulls or pulled on a Blue shirt and played with love for the club can be anything other than a hero.