IGNORED

The phone thread

Louis

Android:

'Open' platform - lots of apps - some great, lots of garbage.

It's developed by Google, and as such is very Google centric. You can still access all your usual Emails and Messengers etc, but it's optimised for Google.

It's runs on many different devices, So one Android phone is not necessarily the same as another. They will be similar, but not the same. Different screen,camera,GPS,etc etc

High end Android phones (HTC Sensation, Desire HD, Samsung Galaxy) are comparable with iPhone

Mid / Low end Android phone (Wildfire etc) are a good step into smartphones - well featured and a cheaper alternative to iphone.

Android phones (particularly HTC) has a huge 'hacking' community - allowing you easier access to apps for free (that you really should be paying for!)

HTC Android phones are renowned for adding a slick user interface on top of the standard Android UI. It's called 'Sense' and gives it a highly polished looked and feel.

Android phones account for about 40% of the market share in smart phones.

iPhone:

Apple proprietary system. Runs ONLY on one type of hardware, so one iPhone is the same as all other iPhones (ignoring previous 'versions' of iPhone).

Lots and lots of apps, many good, lots of rubbish.

The apps are generally 'neater' in their look and feel because they are regulated by Apple. This is a good and a bad thing. Apple try to ensure consistency, BUT they prevent innovation and customisation.

iPhones can be hacked too (to run apps you SHOULD pay for, for free). The hacking community is not quite as large though.

Windows Phone 7:

Just avoid like the plague - it's a fine Operating System, but it's dying a slow death

Palm:

It's dead. Do NOT buy

BlackBerry (RIM):

Proprietary system from Research In Motion.

Makes a huge play on 'Push' messaging and instant messaging. Most of their phones come with a handy tactile qwerty keyboard (very good for texting and mail).

BB are popular with business (Enterprise) users and teenagers who like to type a lot!

Good phones, good feature set, but not as slick as Android and iPhone.

The hacking community for BB is relatively small.

Feature set USED to be good, but there's nothing you can do on BB that you can't do on iPhone or Android phones (unless you're an Enterprise user).

Enterprise users are MORE than just 'I use it for work' (it involves encryption and corporate mail servers and more) - unlikely to of interest to 95% of consumers.

Far less apps than Android and iPhone, but still plenty to play with.

Summary:

Android is like an Alfa Romeo with leather seats, super stereo, Sat Nav and all the extras. Great fun if you like 'fun' and slightly temperamental. It's performs better, but only if you know how to drive. It's quick, it's powerful, it's temperamental.

iPhone is like a BMW. It's consistent and great performance, but it's not thrilling. Everyone has one, and there's little scope for customisation. It's polished, it's good, it's boring.

Blackberry is like the Ford Mondeo. Nice care, gets bad press. Does everything you'll probably need it to, but it's not particularly fast, it's not majorly customisable, and you're likely to get irritated sitting with iPhone and Android users mocking you (even though there's really no good reason to mock, other than it's not iPhone or Android!).

Windows 7 Phones are like a Renault Clio 16V with every extra - very impressive, has everthing the others have, but it's a Clio, no matter HOW you soup it up. It won't resell, and folks will just stare at you at the traffic lights thinking "you had 20K to spend on a car, and you bought an over spec'd Clio???"

The feature set of both is pretty comparable. Top end Android phones tend to be 1 year ahead of iPhone in hardware technical ability.

Edited by BlueSky

iphone 4 is awesome - don't think the 4s is worth the upgrade. But I have this and love it.

Samsung Galaxy s2 is also very impressive (android - I prefer Apple OS)

£ for £ I have to say the Orange San Francisco gives you awesome bang for your buck £100 PAYG. Ideal for those whose kids etc want functionality but you are concious of price.

Use blackberry for work and that's what it is IMO - a work phone (kids think they are trendy?!)

Battery life is a worry, I've heard they last less than 48 hours?

They're all bad.

Esp if you're connected to 3G or GPRS, or leave your wifi / bluetooth / GPS on.

If you're careful, you could get a couple of days, but generally it's 1 day! Car charger is a virtual must. Fortunately most can be charged via USB too.

The processing power is very impressive, but all the fancy UI wastes battery big time (as does checking facebook every 15 mins etc)

Galaxy SII build quality is a tad poor - something iPhone scores very well on (although iPhone's aren't too tough when dropped).

iPhone is a damn fine phone - but it's overhyped too. For many consumers they simply don't KNOW there are other phones on a par / better - thanks you Apple's advertising budget.

That said, Apple's market share is half that of Google/Android - but that's because there are many Android devices than iPhones.

I just dislike Apple's 'policing' policy - which stifles innovation from anybody but themselves. I'm not THAT keen on Google's world domination either, but at least they're more open to innovative apps and 'hacks' to Android.

Can't go far wrong with any of them though to be honest

I've seen people say they charge the Wildfire S 3(!) times a day. It's put me off.

Bit excessive that... unless they are surfing on it all day.

The most common cause is that they install an app that 'polls' the internet for updates umpteen times per hour and totally kills the battery and prevent the phone from going into 'deep sleep' (serious power saving mode).

It's getting like the PC market, were you end up with so much rubbish on your PC you're not sure what you can get rid off, or precisely what's doing what in the background - a million and one little 'helpers' which do everything except help you!

Wildfire's fine. But you do have to come to terms with questionable battery life on ALL devices of that type - so I wouldn't be put of by Wildfire specifically.

iphone 4 for me, it is the best thing i have bought in a long time.

its just simple and easy to use, and it sounds strange but it just works.

i press an icon and it works, had android and nokias before and had them not work so well.

im sure i will be upgrading when iphone 5 comes, but not going to bother with 4s, but will upgrade the software.