• Average Joe - not exactly Tarzan but I'll survive
    • Could do with a bit of exercise and better diet
    • Definitely unhealthy and at risk
    • Could do with a doctor - call 999

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he's just joined! I don't play for that team though..

....yet happy.png

I played with the England 'Development' squad when i was 14 untill just after my 15th birthday (because i relocated, I couldn't hold me place!?)

But I played at school and club with Jammer (James Gaskell) - http://en.wikipedia....i/James_Gaskell

Sale+Sharks+v+Cardiff+Blues+Heineken+Cup+eSZaD14PXcul.jpg

Here's Cliffy, one of bessie's from school - http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Will_Cliff

http://www.saleshark...me/Will%20Cliff

Little shit. But funny as hell!

Sandbach Boy's School (My old school) is pulling out some cracking players atm. Lee Imiolek is a year younger than me, starting to get some game time at Sharks too -

http://www.saleshark...e/Lee%20Imiolek

Forgot Holmesy, Jammer's best mate. He served me last night at our local bistro, cracking lad. Mahoooosive!

http://www.salesharks.com/SharksSquadDetail/article/2409212/name/Tom%20Holmes

Edited by tenaciousj

Although pictures are very deceiving, you look a little small to be mixing it with this guy.

Haha, maybe. But that guy wouldn't catch me!

I tend to stay away from the forwards, I'm 6'2 and 13stone though so I'm not tiny

I just went to the gym and it's closed :( Looks like it's a run on the beach with the dogs, it's freeeezing though!

Edited by Kohen

Played for Uni last year, play for Preston Grasshoppers now

My neck of the woods I was there on Bonfire night.I started doing a few weight routines at home when a while back and I use/used this site quite alot http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/forum.php It does have the odd meathead numbty on but the sub forums for diets recipes and routines and so on are great. Edited by EFC-Paul

My neck of the woods I was there on Bonfire night.I started doing a few weight routines at home when a while back and I use/used this site quite alot http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/forum.php It does have the odd meathead numbty on but the sub forums for diets recipes and routines and so on are great.

Looks a bit of a closet gay site. The 3rd hottest thread is 'Im straight'

I was in a wagon that turned over 7 years ago had my shoulder rebuilt and was told to join a gym!! Id never been intrested before i just played footie 4 nights a week, but joining a gym was the best thing ive done. Ffs i went at half 6 this morning before a job interview.

I love doing weight training but seriously hate no despise doing cardio, theres nothing worse. Id seriously miss going if for some reason i couldnt.

Weve had a few UFC fighters doing their fitness work in the gym i go to, Rampage Jackson, Cheik Congo, Paul Kelly and a few others have all trained before fights and seriously lads just watching them makes you feel out of breath and slightly woosy.

I was in a wagon that turned over 7 years ago had my shoulder rebuilt and was told to join a gym!! Id never been intrested before i just played footie 4 nights a week, but joining a gym was the best thing ive done. Ffs i went at half 6 this morning before a job interview.

I love doing weight training but seriously hate no despise doing cardio, theres nothing worse. Id seriously miss going if for some reason i couldnt.

Weve had a few UFC fighters doing their fitness work in the gym i go to, Rampage Jackson, Cheik Congo, Paul Kelly and a few others have all trained before fights and seriously lads just watching them makes you feel out of breath and slightly woosy.

At that time in the morning, your spine is hydrated, so bear that in mind regarding which exercises you do, such as running or heavy weights. That's advise given to me by a back surgeon, so probably worth thinking about. Regarding weights etc, you are apparently at your strongest just after tea time.

* Hydrated was what I meant, not 'de-hydrated'.

Edited by Avinalaff

At that time in the morning, your spine is dehydrated, so bear that in mind regarding which exercises you do, such as running or heavy weights. That's advise given to me by a back surgeon, so probably worth thinking about. Regarding weights etc, you are apparently at your strongest just after tea time.

It's hard to say when because the experts as you have stated say the best time is around Tea time but most lifters strongmen or just plain old meatheads swear by morning lifts due to that being the time of day your Testosterone levels being at their highest whilst awake.Every time I read this thread I feel fat and unfit you bastards!!

It's hard to say when because the experts as you have stated say the best time is around Tea time but most lifters strongmen or just plain old meatheads swear by morning lifts due to that being the time of day your Testosterone levels being at their highest whilst awake.Every time I read this thread I feel fat and unfit you bastards!!

Meat head v Spinal surgeon. I can't see that one ending well lol.

http://stronglifts.com/lower-back-injury-training-morning-workout/

Bottom line is that you should never do any kind of exercise during the first hour after waking up. Here's why: when you're lying horizontally for hours, like when you're sleeping, your back has no compressive loading. As a result, water fills back into your discs to nourish them. That's the nightly hydration.

Now imagine your discs are water balloons. If they're half full and you push one side, the water will move around and return when you let go. But if they're full of water, they can burst when you push. Well this is exactly what can happen to your spine if you do any kind of heavy bending first thing in the morning.

The good news as Dr Stuart McGill explained in his book "Low Back Disorders" is that after the first hour of being up, your spine dehydrates by about 90% of what it will for that day (this is why you're taller in the morning). So the risk of lower back injuries plummets after that first hour.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't just avoid Squatting or Deadlifting with a round lower back during that first hour in the morning. Any other activity that involves bending, like putting your shoes on or jumping behind your computer to check your email while sitting slouched, can cause lower back injuries. And more back injuries happen with a low or even zero weight, than loaded.

The solution is obvious - give your spine frigging time to dehydrate. Spend the first hours of the day standing: eat standing instead of seated, shower instead of taking a bath, and wake up early so you have that hour pre-workout. Avoid all kind of bending over and lower back stretches, even if it feels good.

Yeah, it was an eye opener for me when he told me, but having cut me open and operated on me several times I figured he knew what he was talking about. It's very easy to get carried away in the gym, but it's essential to protect your greatest asset, which is of course your health. Everything must be done correctly to avoid injury. That link I posted earlier has a good safety conscious instructor, who calls himself Scooby, who has quite a following.

I might be just being dumb, but with the back hydrating thing. I sleep on my front, so will that still happen to me? Not that I exercise much of a morning, i drive to work and sit on a fat comfy chair until lunch anyway!

I imagine it would Steve, but I'm no expert matey. Just be sure to stand up and walk about every now and then.

i hate standing up, i dont think you realise just how comfy my big office chair is. i sometimes walk to the kettle though.

seriously though, some very good advice on this thread.

i had to go get some new boxing gloves this week (the ones at the gym were just horrible, full of other peoples sweat) from body active in preston.

they were very helpful. got talking to a lad who works there who does show body building. gave me and the missus some good advice for losing a bit of fat. gave us a full diet plan. very helpful.

a few good tips from it though;

when you get up drink a litre of water and have a vitamin C tablet, the go for a half hour walk (if work suits) before breakfast, will kick start your metabolism.

take a cod liver oil tablet after any meal that is not fish.

instead of having three meals a day, try to have six smaller meals.

have a multi vitamin and cod liver oil before bed.

try to drink six litres of water per day.

one day a week eat and drink anything you like for six hours, for example if you are going out on saturday eat and drink any shit you like for a period of six hours.

the following morning have a fry up, then go back to a measured diet again from lunch time. this causes the metabolism to go into overdrive after eating healthy for a week, and you will burn off the crap you have had plus additional fats due to the metabolism being in shock.