1. 1. Are you in good health ?

• Yes - I could bench press a Rhinoceros and do 100m in 10 seconds
    • Decent physique - good all round fitness
    • Not bad - could be better, but getting there
    • Average Joe - not exactly Tarzan but I'll survive
    • Could do with a bit of exercise and better diet
    • Definitely unhealthy and at risk
    • Could do with a doctor - call 999

Every forum should have a 'health' thread.

It's something 'everybody' has a stake in, one way or another, but how many of us are looking after ourselves, be it general fitness, diet & nutrition, exercise, medical issues, and so on?

How often are you sat in front of a pc, or in front of the tv?

How often is a Kebab and a 6 pack the order of the day?

Are you smoking 60 per day?

Are you getting any exercise, or do you understand what the calorie contents on food packets mean, and what to look for etc?

The above aren't questions you need to answer etc, but just a few discussion points that crop up, but you'll be surprised how easy it is to 'let yourself go' so to speak, especially once you get over a certain age.

I definitely sit at the pc too much, though I do work out a little on and off, yet nowhere near as much as I should. I'm reasonably fit and strong I guess, and probably slightly more than the 'average' guy my age, though my back has seen better days. I don't smoke after packing in for 18 months now, and don't drink too much, even if I do like the odd pint now and then. At the moment, I'm watching what I eat, and hoping to lose a little excess fat from the old belly and back in time for my hols in a few weeks, so I can take the old top off now and then without looking like I've had one too many burgers lol.

What about you? Are you looking after your health, or are you a total slob in need of a firing squad?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just starting (last four weeks) to get a bit fitter.

http://www.healthyyounaturally.com/images/bmi-Body_mass_chart.jpg

Am border line normal/overweight.

Really dislike cardio(even though am a walking wanker) so just been doing press-ups and dumbbells to spread the fat out for the last couple of weeks and now adding squats and lunges. Don't smoke, am a passive cougher. I did drink beer too much(but not lately, haven't had the dollar), only have one fizzy drink a day. My diet is terrible, no vedge or fruit, just meat potato gravy or meat curry and rice for every dinner. Spend far too much time in front of the computer.

Stopped smoking 6 months ago but even when smoking kept myself in shape. Have to work harder at it now because smoking really does suppress appetite and I have become a biscuit fiend, instead of coffee and cigarette its coffee and 10 jammy dodgers - damn I love them dodgers.

Hate Gyms though and prefer to work myself in my garage on weights and some other interesting items. A 3mm sheet of steel is excellent as it has weight but is thin and helps with grip and grasp. I have recently got into gyro scopes - the purpose is 2 fold, muscular tone and they are supposed to help with golf swings as well, not sure how but the salesman told me (frankly my game is still pish)

Cardio wise, cycling and I run rather than walk the dogs although if my spaniel trips me again its going have to stop

Never Smoked, barely drink, don't eat takeaways as such, but i do little excercise (due to an old injury).

I'm a qualified PT, but to be honest, I can't seem to get the motivation to work on myself. Started to get a bit chubbier thanks to eating late in the evenings and skipping breakfasts. Not good!

Gave up smoking eleven years ago....have a beer or two most evenings (after fifteen plus years on the wagon), walk a mile or two every day, cycle from time to time (but it's put away for the winter now). Gone up to a thirty-two inch waist in the last couple of years after being a thirty all my adult life but at my age I don't see that as a big deal.

Oh....and I go swimming with the wife three times a week. To be completely accurate she swims and I sit and read a book....but the book is quite heavy sometimesunsure.png .

Gave up smoking eleven years ago....have a beer or two most evenings (after fifteen plus years on the wagon), walk a mile or two every day, cycle from time to time (but it's put away for the winter now). Gone up to a thirty-two inch waist in the last couple of years after being a thirty all my adult life but at my age I don't see that as a big deal.

Oh....and I go swimming with the wife three times a week. To be completely accurate she swims and I sit and read a book....but the book is quite heavy sometimesunsure.png .

Mike, get in that swimming pool you big girl rofl.gif swimming is a great way to keep fit, without too much effort, and afterwards you always end up feeling thirsty - Beer

Mike, get in that swimming pool you big girl rofl.gif swimming is a great way to keep fit, without too much effort, and afterwards you always end up feeling thirsty - Beer

I don't mind a swim Si but it's early morning "lane" stuff where they all bash out lengths (that could be misconstruedhuh.png ) and I'm just not a strong enough swimmer. And 8.00am is a bit early for a beerunsure.png .

still occasionally smoke and have a glass of red or 2 each night. Massively cut down the beer and junk food but due to the job dont get much exercise at all. Even if I do, I usually break a bone or tear something.

Only part of my health that im worried about is my blood pressure and thats not being helped by work....

still occasionally smoke and have a glass of red or 2 each night. Massively cut down the beer and junk food but due to the job dont get much exercise at all. Even if I do, I usually break a bone or tear something.

Only part of my health that im worried about is my blood pressure and thats not being helped by work....

You can get a free health check at your doctors in the UK, which incorporates blood tests, pressure, diabetes check, cholesterol, lungs etc etc. Anybody around the age of 40 should definitely get one done.

Learning to switch off from your job is key to avoiding stress and depression too.

I packed up smoking around 9 months ago due to the Birth of my Daughter and have since put on just over a stone :(

I will get back into Boxing when I can but with working shifts and having a little en and not to long ago buying our first home time has been a tad sparce.

I would love to get back into footie on a Saturday even leg break Sundays would do but work most weekends so Boxing which I loved is my best bet but fcuk me its hard graft...

5ft 11

17st 4lb

Play footy 2 times a week, fighting weight would be 15st (by that I would be 12%-15% body fat) - so need to shift 18 pound.

Done weights for years, used to be rapid in terms of sprint speed, alas 35 now I have slowed up, getting married next year so want to get back to a lean 15st. Running is the key, trying to work my way up to 6 miles twice a week..

ale and food big downfall!

Ater I left the forces I kept fit (and I smoked) quite well. Used to run five miles a night (No biggie) but I set times and kept trying to improve. After being hit by a car I had to stop for sometime. When I got back into it I had an accident that damaged my back. Took years to get over it then I was seriously ill. (Never rains but it pours) Tried to go running again a few years ago. Still could put in a fair turn of speed, but knees and ankles couldn't take the pounding. Now have a semi-permanent limp so running is right out I am afraid. Oh and after stopping smoking in 1980 I started again a few years back.

As I said above I did join a gym, cost a lot but hurt too much to keep on with it. I think I am on the slippery slope now.

Ater I left the forces I kept fit (and I smoked) quite well. Used to run five miles a night (No biggie) but I set times and kept trying to improve. After being hit by a car I had to stop for sometime. When I got back into it I had an accident that damaged my back. Took years to get over it then I was seriously ill. (Never rains but it pours) Tried to go running again a few years ago. Still could put in a fair turn of speed, but knees and ankles couldn't take the pounding. Now have a semi-permanent limp so running is right out I am afraid. Oh and after stopping smoking in 1980 I started again a few years back.

As I said above I did join a gym, cost a lot but hurt too much to keep on with it. I think I am on the slippery slope now.

I've been in a car accident too, ran every night in my 20's, and also have a back problem lol. We have much in common. biggrin.png

Never smoked, hardly ever drink, I play five a side twice a week and walk my dog a couple miles everyday. My biggest problem is sweet food, it's my addiction!!! Just gave up sugar in my tea two weeks ago and it's still disgusting!!! Left heavy stuff in work daily so that's my weight training, but that is slowly buggering my side and back up! But I absoultly love the five a side, best form of football!

joined a gym at the start of the month, need to get in shape for hols next feb.

currently doing boxercise (girly i know but good workout) twice a week and one spin class. i follow them by a dozen or so lengths in a half size pool. five a side once a week too.

recently discovered i was over 13st, thought i was only 11st 7lbs for the past few years, a bit extra just sneaked up on me. but im 6"2 so my weight isnt bad really.

trying to eat more fruit and less crap, i dont buy crisps anymore as they are my downfall.

still have to have a day with a take away and a few drinks every now and then or just get bored.