IGNORED

Brek Shea

Dallas local here. I've watched Brek play many many times as Dallas is my local club. He is definitely a talent (for the MLS at least) and I would personally love to see him end up at Everton. I know he at least wants to spend another year playing for FCD, but on top of that he has been a target of attention of scouts from some of the higher profile Premier League clubs. As an Everton faithful I was hoping George John would head to Goodison too as he is probably the best American CB currently in the MLS.

Neither transfer in the long run are something I can foresee happening with the current financial position though :/

Dallas local here. I've watched Brek play many many times as Dallas is my local club. He is definitely a talent (for the MLS at least) and I would personally love to see him end up at Everton. I know he at least wants to spend another year playing for FCD, but on top of that he has been a target of attention of scouts from some of the higher profile Premier League clubs. As an Everton faithful I was hoping George John would head to Goodison too as he is probably the best American CB currently in the MLS.

Neither transfer in the long run are something I can foresee happening with the current financial position though :/

I rate John as well. He just went on loan to West Ham though. I thin it'll be a good experience for him. I really see him in the PL someday with his size and all.

• 1 year later...

I wasn't even aware he was american! Certainly not a name I was even aware of until just recently, knew absolutely next to nothing about this player until did a quick bit of research just now. I don't follow the national team or see what they get up to in my defense. Wikipedia behind once more as they aren't aware he is with Stoke City now ?

But then there's even no mention on their (SC) official site pages ? Looks like this deal isn't quite finalized just yet. If we have missed out here, as likely, not something to sleep over, from all that I can ascertain.

I wasn't even aware he was american! Certainly not a name I was even aware of until just recently, knew absolutely next to nothing about this player until did a quick bit of research just now. I don't follow the national team or see what they get up to in my defense. Wikipedia behind once more as they aren't aware he is with Stoke City now ?

But then there's even no mention on their (SC) official site pages ? Looks like this deal isn't quite finalized just yet. If we have missed out here, as likely, not something to sleep over, from all that I can ascertain.

Maybe I was premature, as usual (ahem), and it's not quite finalised. I just saw something on SSN website and jumped the gun.

Get to know him, because he's going to be a good player. He's a perfect fit for Stoke, I think. Big, fast, and physical. He does have a bit of a temper, though.

Get to know him, because he's going to be a good player. He's a perfect fit for Stoke, I think. Big, fast, and physical. He does have a bit of a temper, though.

Sorry Howard I missed that

Could well be a good fit for Stoke as a physical player, what with their bully boy tactics sometimes. I can appreciate the temper issue also.

What the hell is "nowt"? Where is there "w" in "nothing"? You Brits are fucking crazy rofl.gif

It's just slang.

It's not a word I would use in speech really, but more in a poetic attempt to emphasise a one liner as being tongue in cheek.

As for the word Brits, I'm not a fan of that at all, and I think many will be the same. We prefer our individual identities, such as English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish etc, and even then the Irish are Northern or Southern. As much as we all tolerate one and other, there is still animosity amongst many, and we'll probably use them as land fill sites if we run out of room. wink.png

It's just slang.

It's not a word I would use in speech really, but more in a poetic attempt to emphasise a one liner as being tongue in cheek.

As for the word Brits, I'm not a fan of that at all, and I think many will be the same. We prefer our individual identities, such as English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish etc, and even then the Irish are Northern or Southern. As much as we all tolerate one and other, there is still animosity amongst many, and we'll probably use them as land fill sites if we run out of room. wink.png

The whole Britain/United Kingdom/whatever else thing you guys have going on confuses the hell out of me. And then Northern Ireland wants to separate from you, right? Is there a "prime minister" of sorts for Great Britan or does David Cameron just run everything? Is there someone in charge of England alone? My brain hurts just thinking about it.

The whole Britain/United Kingdom/whatever else thing you guys have going on confuses the hell out of me. And then Northern Ireland wants to separate from you, right? A minority do Is there a "prime minister" of sorts for Great Britan or does David Cameron just run everything? Pretty much, although Scotland has a parliament with (currently) limited powers and Wales & NI have an "assembly" with even fewer Is there someone in charge of England alone? No My brain hurts just thinking about it.

The whole Britain/United Kingdom/whatever else thing you guys have going on confuses the hell out of me. And then Northern Ireland wants to separate from you, right? Is there a "prime minister" of sorts for Great Britan or does David Cameron just run everything? Is there someone in charge of England alone? My brain hurts just thinking about it.

I don't think it's any different to , for example, South America.

I can only speak for myself, but I would refer to folk who live there as Argentinian, Brazilian, Mexican, and so on. Anybody from the United States I would refer to as American (Ethnicity noted). I would imagine that whilst living in America, you might refer to each other as Texan, or Californian etc, just as we would refer to each other at ground level as Southerners / Northerners, and more specifically as Mancs (Manchester) Cockneys (London) Scousers (Liverpool Brummies (Birmingham) etc etc. The nicknames would be used to discuss with others living here, as they would understand the terms, but in a more none familiar way to folk from other countries, we would use the specific areas.

It's all about categories, and the need to identify. If you look at an address, it will start with the smallest factor, such as house number, and expand via street name, town, City, Country, and so on. You, as an American, don't need to know where we live in such detail, so you will blanket any categorization, in inspecific format, such as calling us British, but it has a similar effect of shouting "Hey, You" and getting the reply "Don't say 'hey you', my name is Tom".

I would only call somebody European when talking about somebody in a none specific way, as in "They're not African, they're European" but I would respect them enough to be more specific, such as 'Spanish' or 'German' if I were referring to individuals, or nations.

If we are called 'Brits' then there is no recognition of our respective countries, and each of our countries have their own deep rooted histories, not to mention some even having their own language, so it is respectful that they should have their own identities acknowledged.

I don't think it's any different to , for example, South America.

I can only speak for myself, but I would refer to folk who live there as Argentinian, Brazilian, Mexican, and so on. Anybody from the United States I would refer to as American (Ethnicity noted). I would imagine that whilst living in America, you might refer to each other as Texan, or Californian etc, just as we would refer to each other at ground level as Southerners / Northerners, and more specifically as Mancs (Manchester) Cockneys (London) Scousers (Liverpool Brummies (Birmingham) etc etc. The nicknames would be used to discuss with others living here, as they would understand the terms, but in a more none familiar way to folk from other countries, we would use the specific areas.

It's all about categories, and the need to identify. If you look at an address, it will start with the smallest factor, such as house number, and expand via street name, town, City, Country, and so on. You, as an American, don't need to know where we live in such detail, so you will blanket any categorization, in inspecific format, such as calling us British, but it has a similar effect of shouting "Hey, You" and getting the reply "Don't say 'hey you', my name is Tom".

I would only call somebody European when talking about somebody in a none specific way, as in "They're not African, they're European" but I would respect them enough to be more specific, such as 'Spanish' or 'German' if I were referring to individuals, or nations.

If we are called 'Brits' then there is no recognition of our respective countries, and each of our countries have their own deep rooted histories, not to mention some even having their own language, so it is respectful that they should have their own identities acknowledged.

I understand the differences from a geographic and cultural standpoint. I was (and still somewhat am) mainly confused about how it makes a difference logistically, politically, and legally. Granted, part of this is just because American media is very self-centered and doesn't give a shit about foreign affairs unless it involves us blowing shit up in the Middle East, but any time Tony Blair or David Cameron was/is mentioned it usually has to do with England; I would basically never hear a news story about something involving Wales unless something absolutely ridiculous occurred. Luckily, I'm taking a comparative politics class right now so hopefully we use the UK/Britain/England clusterfuck as one of our case studies biggrin.png

Also, and I don't mean to completely derail this thread, but why is Swansea part of the English football system and not the Welsh one?

They were originally in the Southern league until it's collapse, or similar.

You'd really need to Google for a full explanation.

As for happenings in Wales, or Scotland etc, I guess tv companies and newspapers cover what is applicable to it's audience. Both Wales and Scotland, and indeed Ireland have stunning scenery should you ever take a visit.

They were originally in the Southern league until it's collapse, or similar.

You'd really need to Google for a full explanation.

As for happenings in Wales, or Scotland etc, I guess tv companies and newspapers cover what is applicable to it's audience. Both Wales and Scotland, and indeed Ireland have stunning scenery should you ever take a visit.

I plan on visiting eventually. I've been to Camp Nou and that was for sure an incredible experience, but I just get the feeling that an EPL game would be even more spectacular. Plus, you guys have crumpets and Frankie Boyle.