IGNORED

Refereeing Standards

After another aberration of a refereeing performance at Goodison today, I'm becoming increasingly frustrated at the standard of refereeing in the Premier League these days, and the lack of responsibility taken on by officials in the wake of poor decisions. The most notable ones springing to mind:

- Rodwell's sending off in the derby

- Fellaini gets manhandled by Shawcross inside the box today while the referee looked straight at it

- Vellios gets headlocked by Shawcross in the 6 yard box today and concedes a foul for a high boot, being unable to challenge with his head

- David Luiz receives a yellow card for fouling Ba yesterday when he was clearly the last man

- Morten Gamst Pedersen's corner incident last weekend when the referee was looking straight at it

- Seb Larsson dives into the box today and gets a penalty even though the foul was clearly outside the area

- Jamie O'Hara (maybe) handles the ball in the lead up to Wolves' winning goal vs Sunderland today.

Just wondering whether anyone else thinks refereeing standards are slipping?

I know it isn't an easy job but its time the sport stopped wrapping them up in cotton wool because its costing the fans... How many people paid £60 for a Merseyside derby ticket this season only to have the contest robbed from them by Martin Atkinson in the middle of the first half, for example...

Until modern technology is embraced, this debate will always arise. There is far too much at stake in football now to have mistakes, be they accidental or deliberate.

Soon a referee will be attacked or victimised, or worse, and it might not be by fans, but by those more closely connected. There can be little consistency with human nature, so it's time evidence was at hand. Slowing a game down isn't as detrimental as corruption, mistakes, or interpretation of the rules.

I dont understand why there are such massive differences in the interpretation of the rules, not just by different referees but individual interpretations. Far too many trivial free kicks given outside the box but far more serious fouls overlooked within the box - such as the man handling by Shawcross yesterday, outside the box, free kick inside the box nothing.

Consistency in decision making is all I ask for

It's been said a million times but all they need is an assistant referee on the sidelines with a screen to bring up an instant replay. Sky Sports can do it in 5 seconds, so can the FA. Just as long as they don't get carried away and start calling for replays on every dodgy throw in call....

Teams/managers should be allocated 'challenges' like in Tennis, where an event can be reviewed within seconds (once the ball is out of play or when the referee sees an inccident where he needs the replay to assist him). If the ref was going to blow the whistle anyway, its another break in play, an opportunity for another official to 'judge'.

Personally if that were to happen, i'd like some sort of impartial but proffessional bodies, like two ex pro's (non club affiliated) or a 'referee' who is trained to the letter of the law.

The review system could work, but the guys above don't want to take the 'drama' out of football, so it'll never happen.

But yes, I think the standards have slipped, massively.

what i don't get is how in every other sport they have it and it works, yet in football, they don't want it because it will ruin the game and the sport itself, well everyone else manages to deal with it just fine, it HAS to come into the game soon, Lee Mason's display yesterday was just shocking, he was not helped by his assistants but at the end of the day its his final decision.

Teams/managers should be allocated 'challenges' like in Tennis, where an event can be reviewed within seconds (once the ball is out of play or when the referee sees an inccident where he needs the replay to assist him). If the ref was going to blow the whistle anyway, its another break in play, an opportunity for another official to 'judge'.

Personally if that were to happen, i'd like some sort of impartial but proffessional bodies, like two ex pro's (non club affiliated) or a 'referee' who is trained to the letter of the law.

The review system could work, but the guys above don't want to take the 'drama' out of football, so it'll never happen.

Spot on Ten. If the appeal fails, you lose it - if its upheld you keep your appeal.

It would also give opportunity to catch diving pansies and punish them. Also take a little pressure off the officials which should, in theory, improve their performances too, not to mention that their decisions would be scrutinized and then they can learn from their mistakes. At the moment nothing much happens to them if they get something wrong, that I know of at least, so wheres the incentive to improve?

Edited by Matt

I can see the argument that it takes away from the game, especially for the fans in the stands rather than the ones watching it on TV, that there has to be a break in the play to sort out the decision. There's also difficult situations where one team claims a penalty but the ball isn't out of play. The tennis appeal rule seems to fit the bill for me, and I don't see any major fault with it. It's just unacceptable to see two, out of the handful of Everton games I've seen in full this season, turned by refereeing decisions - the derby, and yesterday.

I can see the argument that it takes away from the game, especially for the fans in the stands rather than the ones watching it on TV, that there has to be a break in the play to sort out the decision. There's also difficult situations where one team claims a penalty but the ball isn't out of play. The tennis appeal rule seems to fit the bill for me, and I don't see any major fault with it. It's just unacceptable to see two, out of the handful of Everton games I've seen in full this season, turned by refereeing decisions - the derby, and yesterday.

and the Wolves game where Cahill was hauled to the ground (I know we won that, but shouldve finished it off way earlier)..... Take it away from Everton and look at David "im bored of football so im going to rugby tackle this sod to the ground" Luis against Newcastle - easiest straight red a ref could give and surely wouldve meant a different result.

Also, as a plus, the anticipation in NFL/Rugby/Cricket of whether the appeal is upheld or overturned is quite exciting - its like watching a lottery knowing you have a 50/50 chance of winning!

Refereeing Standards. Oxymoron!

I'd like to see players get more punishment for conning the ref. If they get caught out on cam after the game, then ban them.

It can't be easy refereeing, and stuff does look very different from two different angles / slow motion etc, and it's just not helped by players diving too, or clutching their face having had their hair ruffled.

I've seen Micah Richards - a proper heavyweight fall over in the box umpteen times, so I know all teams have such players. They need sorting out before we sort out the ref.

Just my opinion like

Yep I agree although I would only restrict it to incidents such as penalties & red cards purely because what would happen if an 'incident' happens, play on is called by the ref, the team that committed the 'foul' then go and score. Does it get hauled back? It works in cricket & RL because there is a natural break in the play. It might not have helped us in yesterdays game. but it might encourage referee's to be bolder in these instances, much like it has in cricket with giving LBW's against spin.

Refereeing Standards. Oxymoron!

I'd like to see players get more punishment for conning the ref. If they get caught out on cam after the game, then ban them.

It can't be easy refereeing, and stuff does look very different from two different angles / slow motion etc, and it's just not helped by players diving too, or clutching their face having had their hair ruffled.

I've seen Micah Richards - a proper heavyweight fall over in the box umpteen times, so I know all teams have such players. They need sorting out before we sort out the ref.

Just my opinion like

This for me too. The ref's should be able to go through the game afterwards and award a games ban (and a hefty fine) for anyone caught diving, play acting or extreme over exageration. It would mean the likes of Suarez, Nani & Drogba would barely be seen on the football pitch but they are deliberately trying to cheat.

I don't like players who get others booked.

I'm not in my prime at 43, but you'd have to hit me with a good shot to knock me over, such as a full on slam to the head etc. To watch guys in their prime, who have strong legs, and athletic builds fall over like they've been shot is ridiculous. They should make them play a game of Rugby with some proper bruisers.

I remember Lafferty from Glasgow falling down, despite knowing thousands of people would know, and yet refs seem to fall for it as though it's all worked.