IGNORED

Our style of football

Avinalaff

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kitbag arrangement has me puzzled.

It removes all possibility of impulse purchases. I don't even know where any Kitbag stores are, and certainly wouldn't travel to any just to buy an Everton shirt.

After Googling for them, it looks like they are 'Internet' only. Why would we become involved with such a company?

The Kitbag arrangement has me puzzled.

It removes all possibility of impulse purchases. I don't even know where any Kitbag stores are, and certainly wouldn't travel to any just to buy an Everton shirt.

After Googling for them, it looks like they are 'Internet' only. Why would we become involved with such a company?

It's one of the many examples that Mr Ross tries to put spin on as a record breaking deal. To me thats like an eskimo calling -1 temperatures a heatwave...

Where does the mother of a young supporter buy their child or even husband an Everton kit?

I appreciate we have an Everton store in Liverpool, but hey ho.

Every town has a sports shop. There should be an Everton kit in every one of them.

exactly, its very strange.

if you really want to be baffled, go onto evertondirect and do a dummy order as if you were in another country and see how ripped off we get on shirts. the last time i did it (in the summer) it worked out £40 to buy a brand new home shirt and have it posted to thailand, less than walking into a shop here and buying it (£45 i think at the time)

Where does the mother of a young supporter buy their child or even husband an Everton kit?

I appreciate we have an Everton store in Liverpool, but hey ho.

Every town has a sports shop. There should be an Everton kit in every one of them.

A huge bugbear of mine, my local Sports Direct can't/won't get me an EFC shirt in "because they can't get hold of it" but somehow they have the full DC United kit in there? go figure!!!

Once upon a time when we were all kids football kits were a train ride away, now they are a log on away. I do no want to tag our fans or parents of young fans in any way, but I guess a large proportion aren't very "let's log in and stick my card details in" likely. I know this is a fact, a £15 journey to L1 is the most painless. WRONG! Get savvy everton please.

Once upon a time when we were all kids football kits were a train ride away, now they are a log on away. I do no want to tag our fans or parents of young fans in any way, but I guess a large proportion aren't very "let's log in and stick my card details in" likely. I know this is a fact, a £15 journey to L1 is the most painless. WRONG! Get savvy everton please.

I've never been a big kit wearer.

Had a few different kits as a younger fan, but once I passed 20 or so I stopped wearing them, and if I did wear the colours it was normally in the form of an Everton jumper bought from the ground etc, and a scarf or hat. I always preferred the knitted scarves and hats we had when we were kids. The modern ones don't feel the same.

Wearing football kits at the time could lead to getting chased by idiots, or not being allowed in certain premises, so it wasn't worth the hassle, but to be fair, it was easy enough to get one from the local sports shop.

I still don't like football tops. They're not casual enough, and I'd prefer it if we sold stuff a little more subtle, and also a little more affordable too. I dislike anything with big logo's on. Our sponsors sponsor the club. They don't sponsor me, so why would I want to walk around with a big logo across my chest? I preferred the plain 60's tops with the round white neck ring. Maybe because it was my first kit. I think they started putting badges on in the 70's.

i see what your saying avin, but they pay the club the money so they can advertise on your chest as well as the players. its a strange thing to sell, but it seems to work.

i remember being a kid i had much more chance of getting a new shirt if i was out shopping with my mum or dad and they thought the kit was nice. an impulse buy.

now you have to go out of your way to find it, i cant see many people buying on impulse now

I've never been a big kit wearer.

Had a few different kits as a younger fan, but once I passed 20 or so I stopped wearing them, and if I did wear the colours it was normally in the form of an Everton jumper bought from the ground etc, and a scarf or hat. I always preferred the knitted scarves and hats we had when we were kids. The modern ones don't feel the same.

Wearing football kits at the time could lead to getting chased by idiots, or not being allowed in certain premises, so it wasn't worth the hassle, but to be fair, it was easy enough to get one from the local sports shop.

I still don't like football tops. They're not casual enough, and I'd prefer it if we sold stuff a little more subtle, and also a little more affordable too. I dislike anything with big logo's on. Our sponsors sponsor the club. They don't sponsor me, so why would I want to walk around with a big logo across my chest? I preferred the plain 60's tops with the round white neck ring. Maybe because it was my first kit. I think they started putting badges on in the 70's.

Again, this reinforces the trick the club missed, merchandise is so much more than tops, shorts etc. mugs, mouse mats, iPhone covers, key rings. Money spinners the lot. My fiancé paid £11 for a pair of cuff links, probably cost 50p to make, only get them in the club shop.

Not the only club to make mistakes, Liverpools shop was closed the day after winning champions league. But we need to learn from

Mistakes.

And isn't it annoying when you often read on rival pages about how those beyond a certain age seem 'inappropriate' or whatever wearing a club replica, say beyond teenage years, it's none of their business, OK, fair enough they may have a tangible debate here, but however you see it, I occasionally wear club colors at home or out, maybe I am too old for it, but then again I've seen other grown men out and about in similar fashion, we was shopping the other day and we saw adult men around the aisles in Charlton, West Ham and even Shite kits getting their pork chops and toilet brushes, I did a sharp detour at seeing the latter and took another direction. I had a laugh on reading on some rival championship club page back in the summer about how one snide was moaning 'Soccer shirts for adults, shame on you, that's for kids, you so and so's, rant, rant', and lo and behold apparently a large percentage of their own adult supporters turn up at home games in club replicas. I don't understand some people sometimes

And I've noticed only too well that it's very hard to get any Everton merchandise at sports retailers outside of Liverpool

Take our own Sports Direct around here, two large premises, and not a sniff of any Toffee goods, of course if you want any Chelsea, Spurs or Shite tea cups, shirts, keyrings, hats, clocks, sweatbands etc etc etc you can take your pick, but for us you won't find much in the way of goods

I seem to remember about 20 years ago it wasn't so much a problem, back then it's easy to say the club was maybe more recognized and before all this Sky Four bullshit, I had no trouble getting my hands on a NEC replica about 1990, and some other club merchandise but sadly it's all different now, kids living outside of Liverpool now don't want Everton gear, they want Chelsea and Manchester United crap, simply because that's what they have grown up with in the last 10 years, they don't realize that a few years ago such clubs weren't up to much at all, and I remember them being not much above mediocre, say if it was 1985 now, any kids here growing up would automatically want Everton stuff simply on the basis that we would be one of the most recognized and best teams in Europe, feel like I'm going down a dead end but there you are ohmy.png

And also, lo and behold in this calendar year Manchester City shirts are now readibly available shaking fist.png

Funny how we never saw them before a year or two ago

Shops don't sell our goods because they're not allowed to.

Only Kitbag can.

I know this is true but it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

If we're just getting a fixed fee (£3m ish a year) then surely it's in Kitbag's best interests to sell as many as they can to maximise their profit so why not use all the outlets available to them?

Everton have no reason to not want Kitbag to sell as many as they can, so the question is....why was this exclusivity written into the deal when it's in nobodies best interestshuh.png ?

I know this is true but it makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever.

If we're just getting a fixed fee (£3m ish a year) then surely it's in Kitbag's best interests to sell as many as they can to maximise their profit so why not use all the outlets available to them?

Everton have no reason to not want Kitbag to sell as many as they can, so the question is....why was this exclusivity written into the deal when it's in nobodies best interestshuh.png ?

I have a feeling the words 'brown' and 'envelope' might have significance.

If I was Bill, I'd have Asda's George design our next kit, and I'm not joking either (really).

There are SO many opportunities that clubs can use...

Website: The more attractive, the more hits they get, this pushes up the price to any potential advertisers (although some club sites don't have advertising)

Content Subscriptions: Many fans will pay for content, via the web, on their phone, or even TV channels etc. Actually, in truth the majority of fans pay for content (Sky, BBC et al)

Clothing: Clothing is huge. Women and kids clothing is often neglected. Stylish, understated casual wear is a lot more popular than a traditional football shirt. It's the way forward

Gift packages: These are a classic at xmas (and of course, birthdays, father's day etc). From a stadium tour, to a meal at the club, or guest dinner etc. A nice little earner for the club and a lifesaver for wife and kids who don't have a clue what to buy you!

Discount ticket prices: Another nice little trick to offer cheaper tickets for cup games etc, providing you pay up front. A lot of fans go for it... call it a 'cup scheme' by any other name.

Open Days / Classrooms etc. An ideal way to get schoolkids into the school, make a name for yourself, and generally 'do a bit of good'. I know City have a few classrooms, with computer suites and lots of education material in the ground. I suspect Everton might have too. Good PR and fosters early love of the club.

Corporate meetings.

Blackburn and Bolton do this a lot - open the rooms during the day and evenings for corporate meetings. They prove to be very popular even amongst non football fans. It's HUGE stadium going to waste. Use it!

And there's plenty more too.

As for kit licensing - that's between the club and the kit manufacturer / retailers etc. Only a few years ago Man United, the FA and Umbro (amongst others) were found guilty of price fixing.

There is NOTHING to stop a retailer selling Everton kits. Truth is, there's not enough money in it (for them). If there was, Tesco would be flogging them left right and center.

It's against the law to deliberate prevent a specific retailer selling the goods and/or setting any minimum price. (This is partly what United and Umbro et al got into trouble because they didn't like certain retailers discounting their kits...

For those interested:

This is the decision

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/ca98_public_register/decisions/replicakits.pdf

Makes for interesting reading.

Many folks are totally ignorant of competition law, and whilst it's broken all the time, you CAN be done for it.

As silly and trivial as it sounds, if you run a newsagent in your area, and you agree with other newsagents that paper delivery should be 10.00 a week, that's price fixing. YES - it applies to joe blogs ltd, as much as the big boys!

Most folks don't even realise they are doing it.

Finally, I know the term 'price fixing' is broad brush, but exclusivity agreements CAN be a form of retail price maintenance by manipulating the market. One should always be very careful of such. When challenged, the majority will be found to be in breach of the law.

While there may be variations upon the theme, I'm fairly sure it's not illegal to offer sole supply to a company, or exclusive distribution of a product. I worked in sales for just under 8 years for a major UK company, and fairly sure I'd have bumped into that one should it have existed.

I think you'll find that such agreements are more likely to be in breach than exempt. The fact it happens frequently is no excuse.

Most of us break the speed limit. If caught doing so, it's generally "tough s**t"

There is a 'block exemption' on vertical agreements (selling up the supply chain) for minor companies with minimal market share. But the likes of Umbro / Adidas etc won't be falling under such

You should read the decision on the FA / Man U / Blacks / Umbro / JD Sports etc. It reads like most businesses "Umbro getting mad at JD sports for selling cheaply and annoying Man U etc, and threatening to stop supplying them". Happens all the time!... still, they got found out and all of them fined (to varying degrees)

Edited by BlueSky