IGNORED

Everton Memories

Zoo

I can't get audio at the moment so it was visuals only.

I don't think it was over 60.000 as mentioned, didn't the stadium have a capacity of some 49.000 at the time of clip, I think that was the attendance for the Munich game that year, not 100 per cent on that but was thinking.

Furthermore the League Trophy we were awarded that season was terrible, it wasn't the usual League Championship Trophy but what Andy Gray later described as - 'an awful art nouveau piece of furniture'

Kendall went on to say, 'It doesn't matter what it looks like so long as it's the league trophy, if you've proved yourself to be the most consistent or the best (over a season), then it desn't matter what it looks like'

We got the correct and proper version back in 1987 I remember, but that years design was pretty lame

One of my Dad's favourite goals. He used to show it me all the time when I was little and when he wanted to show me how great Everton were back in the day when Sharpy was playing with them. I have to say it's a fantastic finish from the lad and with it being against Liverpool it's all the more sweet.

Guest blueboy122

Goodness gracious me, what a night this was. One of the proudest moments of being an evertonain. Best atmosphere I have ever witnessed along with Sunderland away last week!

Ok it's only minor but a game I remember back in January 1996 when we were FA cup holders and were drawn against third division Stockport in Round 3, it was a draw at Goodison but the replay at their stadium was an electric night for all involved, they had a kid called Alan Armstrong that night who would go on to bigger things and European nights with Ipswich, and it was a full house up there and I remember that night the action was going back and forth and you never knew what was going to happen, John Ebbrell scored a last second winner and there was a minor pitch invasion, I remember it like yesterday.

This was at a time (1994-97) when Toffees were involved in all kinds of fucking embarrassments in Cup tournaments by lower league sides, Portsmouth, York City, Millwall, Bradford City, Port Vale etc, but that season we did have a good side, Limpar, Stuart, Kanchelskis, Ferguson etc and finished sixth eventually, but the cup games always seemed to bring more attention. This is one that sticks out for me.

has to be the the cup winners semi against bayern remeber andy gray nearly breaking two of there noses with his elbows was aloud in those days ,next best for me the night match against manure when big dunc scored closest to the bayern atmosphere i can remeber also what a couple of days was had in rotterdam

• 3 months later...

I think it's all a bit of an exaggeration maybe. I think it would have been better for Hibbert to score in a random game during the league season, you know, something unexpected, there was a bit too much emphasis on one individual last night. Yes it was a highlight game to some, but not really of paramount importance, you simply can't include this in Goodison hall of fame such as Munich in '85, Andy King '78 or Wimbledon '94, just can't include it with those. But that's only one mans opinion, how others feel about it is up to them. I think the long awaited / anticipated pitch invasion gave it more relevance than it actually deserved (as a hall of fame moment)

Remember sitting in my Gran & Grandads house watching the scores come through on the Teletext (I was 7 at the time) and going wild when we found out that we had won by such a score. My Gran was equally as happy and I can remember her saying something along the lines of '...thats amazing for Everton' because she knew how badly we had been playing that season.

I think Athens goalkeeper the other night had a bit of a Hans Segers moment from that game 18 years ago now, maybe.

But yes, that was never a penalty when Limpar went over in the box, Horne scored the second best goal I remember him for, and then the Stuart strike nine minutes from the end, it was an epic day, told so many times since the event. Was Cottee involved that day, I seem to remember him playing but it was a long time ago and a bit hazy perhaps, left us that summer just short of 100 goals. Not a bad capture for £2 million in 1988 in retrospect.

I must have mentioned it but back in about September 1991 when we played Arsenal, they were league champs at the time, didn't expect much out of it, but we played really well and won 3-1, Mark Ward got two I think, it was a night game if I remember, and it was a fucking great result, was jubilant that night, it was such a standout result at the time.

I don't quite remember the WHU game from 2001 for some reason, the was another Goodison game around about the same time where Di Canio caught the ball to stop them from scoring because we had a player down. I remember a game with them in 1991 where we won 4-0 at home, was even better because they had beat us in the FA cup earlier that year, I always enjoy a result against those.

Also, early 1990 and Nottingham Forest at home, it was live on TV, (no Sky TV, Just terrestrial television) and Clough was saying before the game, what an ordinary side we were etc etc, and (he) was quietly confident, and we beat them 4-0. Whiteside I think got a double but can't remember the others.

I don't quite remember the WHU game from 2001 for some reason, the was another Goodison game around about the same time where Di Canio caught the ball to stop them from scoring because we had a player down. I remember a game with them in 1991 where we won 4-0 at home, was even better because they had beat us in the FA cup earlier that year, I always enjoy a result against those.

Paul Gerrard was down after coming out for the ball and pulled up, Di Canio had an easy scoring attempt but instead caught the ball, I remember the game clearly. I don't know what the score was at the time however.

The game finished 1-1, and that was the score at time of incident, took place in December if I remember, probably 2001 as mentioned.

Italians usually are good with their hands, and while a surprise gesture, I remember reading at the time of event - 'endeared himself in the hearts of Evertonians for all time for his act of good will'. Bit of an exaggeration for sure, but would he have done the same at the Boleyn Ground is what I'd like to know. Walter Smith would have been manager at the time of course.

I must have mentioned it but back in about September 1991 when we played Arsenal, they were league champs at the time, didn't expect much out of it, but we played really well and won 3-1, Mark Ward got two I think, it was a night game if I remember, and it was a fucking great result, was jubilant that night, it was such a standout result at the time.

Was there that night....front row of the top balcony...Arsenal revealed their vomit coloured away shirt and we, after a couple of post game pints, overtook the Arsenal team coach on the M5 and made appropriate obscene gestures to the playerssmile.png .

More false hope though sadly.....another crap season followed.

There was another standout result about the same time that autumn but damned if I can remember it.

Yes 1991/92 was not much to get excited about. lost to the plastics in the FA cup 4th round, Clive Allen scored, and Cottee missed a penalty, it was a live Sunday game on ITV. League Cup exit, I can't remember, think it was Leeds, we beat Wolverhampton 4-1 if I remember the round before, but went out about the last 16, think it was to the Leeds side who went on to win the championship that season, but not 100 per cent on that.

I can't even remember the last game of season, may have been Chelsea and we won 2-1, all I remember that day is I washed my hair of all things. huh.png

Paul Gerrard was down after coming out for the ball and pulled up, Di Canio had an easy scoring attempt but instead caught the ball, I remember the game clearly. I don't know what the score was at the time however.

remember that..for all his shit acts at times the guy is always welcome back at goodison for this sole thing in my eyes

• 5 months later...

But you didn't do anything

Quick mention to -

The 4 - 0 home win over Nottingham Forest in 1989/90 (and they had a fucking good side then). It was a free to view TV game,(before the advent of Sky television) and Whiteside scored twice I think, but all I remember was Brian Clough calling as a Benitez type - small club before the game, but didn't we do well.

Manchester City home game 1985/86 - Lineker scored three if I remember, can't remember the other, maybe Sharp or Heath, but it kept us at the top of the table, but unfortunately we couldn't hold pole position.

Coventry City 1992/93 - Beardsley got a hat-trick and it was a late end of season good entertaining game.

Manchester United 1984/85 - the 5 - 0 home win, just a few days after the Sharp goal at Anfield. What a great superlative performance, and despite only a draw at Old Trafford in the return, we would win the league championship with something to spare.

Tottenham 1962/63 - They had a fucking great side at the time (Greaves, Dyson, White, MacKay, Smith etc), but Alex Young's goal in front of a full house at Goodison Parlk went a long way to winning the league championship. Probably the best two sides in the United Kingdom at the time.

Someone mentioned the 7-1 win against Sunderland in another thread and there were talks about some of the times at Goodison when we have demolished opponants. This is the main one that I can remember, I was there too.

Anyone else remember some special nights at Goodison?

• 1 month later...

That was before my season ticket so I didn't get to see that game live. Was that the game that Neville scored? I remember one where he went to cross the ball into the box and it looped over everyone (including the goalkeeper) and into the net.

That was before my season ticket so I didn't get to see that game live. Was that the game that Neville scored? I remember one where he went to cross the ball into the box and it looped over everyone (including the goalkeeper) and into the net.

No it was McFadden, Cahill, Ossie and Cahill again (Agbonlahor scored for Villa, it was his debut).

First three were all first half and each time they ran into our corner...got a few photos, sent one of Ossie celebrating to him at the club and he signed it "To Josh...." and sent it back; it's still on his bedroom wallsmile.png .