IGNORED

Everton Memories

Zoo

nah zoo has it mixed up

the neville newcastle goal he hit it with his right but it looped up off his left into the net..that was from the edge of the area

neville scored against villa when he went to cross a ball and it deflected in...that was the game we conceded an injury time equaliser from a gareth barry cross..forget who scored

• 2 weeks later...

Doubtless it was mentioned before at some point in time.

The Coventry game from the 1970s when we ran out 6 - 0 winners and Latchford got three I believe has to be worth a mention, if not already said. We finished third that season (1977/78 ?), and many said that day we were good enough to win the league, but always fell that little bit too short

Leeds United game 1969/70 when we ended their unbeaten run. It was a special day.

Beating Liverpool in the FA cup, 1981. Varadi scored twice I think, or at least one of them.

I believe the greatest game was when William Dean scored those three goals in the 1920s to get the record against Arsenal, even though they held us to a draw. Better than Bayern Munich 1985 I really feel.

Of course I wasn't present in the 1920s. Only got an interest in soccer in the 1970s and with Everton and took it from there. I believe I've seen just about everything the game can offer. But losing interest fast, by each passing season. I don't like what they've done and how things have become with absurd and ridiculous salaries, nasty snide players, nasty snide players on big nasty snide salaries, watched by nasty snide supporters. I miss how it was about 25 or 30 years ago. Too commercialized now more than everything else. Wish I could just leave it all behind, but it's simply not as straight forward as that, but it won't go on forever. Feel free to add some more stadia games to this thread, I got a program to see.

Point is DK that this thread is called "Everton Memories"huh.png . And it's not a memory for you.

And incidentally the 1928 Arsenal game wasn't even in front of a capacity crowd.....48,000 there but not close to the 65,000 at Goodison for the derby.

Really don't see how a drawn dead game is going to be more exciting than any number of meaningful ones. I'm sure there was a celebratory atmosphere (as there was when Latchford completed his thirty v Chelsea) but nothing on Bayern or Wimbledon even.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It was such a momentous occasion in club history it has to be worth another inclusion (not everyone reads the general soccer index) in that once again, today marks the 28th anniversary of the Bayern Munich night at Goodison Park which saw a 3 - 1 home success and with it, a place in that years final tie. It has to be worth an inclusion in this thread, so those old enough to recall, and whoever were there that night, think back and enjoy some memories. An epic occasion that will always be with us. April 24, 1985

My Dad went to that game and says its one of the best games he ever went to. Apparently it was a final atmosphere as everyone knew whoever won the Everton/Munich tie would go on to win the cup.

What I'd give to have those nights in my lifetime! :).

I don't like to talk about it sometimes, especially so soon after Sheffield, but it has to be said, and fuck that, I'm going to say it, in that, the side we had at that time was good enough to be champions of europe if not for the ban on english clubs. Such an opportunity to have done something and instead some mediocre club from Romania took the title when we should ideally, have won the European Cup the following season. We had the players to do it without question, and it's always a pity when you look back. That great side, although winning domestic honors, was good enough to have won the biggest prize in europe, although the ECWC was still a great achievement.

I don't like to talk about it sometimes, especially so soon after Sheffield, but it has to be said, and fuck that, I'm going to say it, in that, the side we had at that time was good enough to be champions of europe if not for the ban on english clubs. Such an opportunity to have done something and instead some mediocre club from Romania took the title when we should ideally, have won the European Cup the following season. We had the players to do it without question, and it's always a pity when you look back. That great side, although winning domestic honors, was good enough to have won the biggest prize in europe, although the ECWC was still a great achievement.

Totally agree with you

• 2 weeks later...

Are you kidding me ? Not even a fucking mention ?

Today (as before) was the Wimbledon game in 1994 when the club survived the drop into second division obscurity. 19 Years Ago today.

I still remember it like yesterday, took on some heavy defeats at Leeds and Sheffield Wednesday in the weeks before and it all came down to this. Most will be at an age to remember.

I'm not afraid to admit it, but whooping and hollering around and mayhem ensued, it was a crazy occasion. 0 - 2 down from a Holdsworth penalty and Ablett own goal, one end shut down for construction work, Stuart scores from a nothing penalty, Horne with that goal, and Stuart again near the end, and we did it, feel sorry for anyone not of an age to remember, it will live with me forever.

Great fucking day, but we all came a little too close to it again in 1997-98, but on that occasion, a draw was enough. You wouldn't have ever imagined we would be FA cup winners only 12 months later, but what a day for all involved.

http://www.followtonians.com/?p=1015