IGNORED

Help Zoo to work in a Zoo.

Zoo

Urgent.

I’m doing a project at college into the study of evolution in Big Cats. I am looking at how their bodies have evolved over the ages to make themselves better at hunting and how their skeletal systems have adapted to make them such good predators.

As part of the project I needed to write a ‘proposal’ which involved me persuading my tutor to allow me to do the project as it has to be for a justifiable cause. I made up the idea that I would do it to help with the Big Cat’s plummeting numbers in the wild and I came up with the theory that from doing a project about Big Cats and showing it to the world I could get the general public to understand them better and would allow them to gain more media attention and getting a better standard of conservation so that they can dig themselves out of a ‘critically endangered’ state which they find themselves in now.

As I have used that idea as my reasons for doing the project I have been told that I must gather information about what the general public think on these Big Cats and I have to record it in a graph which I will later lecture to the class in March 12th. I will also need to copy and paste people’s opinions into my project notes as proof that I have actually took the time to ask questions and note them down as opposed to making it up.

As of now my tutor has told me that it’s best to start simple to get a good response and I have been instructed to post onto forums some simple questions to get a basic understanding of how the public feel on Big Cats and their conservation. I totally understand that my questions could be taken as patronising (and for that I apologise) but it’s something that I have to do and I think I’d get a better response on Toffee Talk because you’re a good bunch and because you know a little bit about me and what I’m hoping to achieve in the future.

I’d really appreciate it if you could just take five minutes of your time to answer the questions below so that I can complete my project to a high standard and if necessary I will come back and post some more depending on what response I get (if that’s alright with the rest of the forum).

Many thanks – I owe you all one.

Question 1: – There are four Big Cats in the world (Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Jaguar) which one would you be most interested in protecting from extinction? (And your reasons why).

Question 2: – Can you explain what the term ‘evolution’ means to you.

Question 3: – Can you explain how the four Big Cats hunt in the wild?

Question 4: – Have you even donated money towards Big Cats protection in the past? (I do not wish to know about your finances of course, I’m just wondering how many people have actually taken it upon themselves to donate).

Question 5: – Have you ever seen the four Big Cats up close and if so which ones? (I want to find out how well the public know about these cats and how much contact they have had with them).

Question 6: – Why do you think that all four Big Cats are critically endangered in the wild?

Once again thanks for your help towards my college studies – you’ve been a big help.

When im not in work and i remember Zoo, i'll answer them for you if i can. I have a keen interest in cats; desperately want a pet Savannah (Domestic Serval Cat) and i absolutely adore Ocelots...so i'll give it a go if i get a chance, i'm away next week, so when is the latest you want these completed by so that you can disect the info before your lecture?

Crikeyhuh.png .

1. Tiger....because (rightly or wrongly) my perception is that they're the most endangered. And they look nicestunsure.png .

2. Small genetic changes over a long period of time to best enable a species to survive.

3. Not with any confidence.....but I suppose lying in wait for a passing wildebeest (or whatever) to come close enough and then pouncing. Not huge amounts of stamina I think so need to bring down the prey fairly quickly.

4. No.

5. Other than at UK zoos just some lions in a nature reserve in The Gambia...they were caged also but got fairly up close and personal.

6. Man expanding into their habitat (and killing them to do so), Chinese medicine, people wanting skins, private ownership (US predominantly).

I'm doing the project at the moment. This is one of the pass (easy) tasks and like I said its criteria is to go onto forums and gather evidence whilst the Distinction (hard) tasks are going to take me about a week each to complete as they require a large dosage of scientific knowledge. I'll have the project all about wrapped up early March so as long as you get my questionarre answered before the end of February I'm happy. (obviously it's your own time that you'll be giving up, so if you don't do it I won't have a problem).

As for Mike thanks a lot for your input, I'll put your post into my project (obviously taking out personal details - I wont let anyone know you live in Sugar Mountain) and it's exactly what I wanted. What was the 'Crikey' outburst for though? :P

Keep them coming folks!

The need to use my brain after a seven mile walk and a pint in the pub....was going to have a lie downunsure.png .

Crikey!

I think you've earned a lie down for taking part in a survey in the name of Science! I'll be sure to tell my class and tutor in my lecture that your opinons may be off the mark due to being under the influence of several alcoholic beverages ;)

I'll be sure to tell my class and tutor in my lecture that your opinons may be off the mark due to being under the influence of several alcoholic beverages wink.png

It was only the one...lunchtime drinking makes me fall down nowadays....one (one and a half occasionally) is all I can cope withsad.png .

1. Jaguar, don't know much about them, and i find Tigers and Lions annoying, i kinda like it when you do actually see them getting their ass kicked, i saw a programme the other night with a Zebra killing a Lion.

2.The adaption of a species to it's surroundings over a pro-longed period of time.

3.From what i have seen they tend to hide in low bushes then stalk their prey attacking usually from behind, trying to drag it to the floor.

4.No

5.Many years ago on holiday in the US i had a picture taken with a lion cub, thats as close as i have come tbh

6.Companies like maccy d's destroying the natural world for their own personal gain, local poachers who kill to survive and feed families, and the private pet market

1. Tiger, stunning, powerful, beautiful creatures.

2. To adapt over time to its surroundings and environment.

3. Lying in wait to attack, I've seen lions(lionesses do most of the work) working in teams to isolate their prey to get them, I would say the others are more solo hunters using camouflage as its elimante of surprise.

4. No

5. Seen them all in zoo's, love going to zoo's

6. Same as everyone else's answers, humans encroaching into their environment, hunting for sport and supposed medicinal properties, skins etc

Hope this helps pal.

I'm sure it was an experiance mate! Did you need to change your underwear after this sighting however? ;)

Hope this helps pal.

Indeed it does! Thanks for taking the time to complete the survey (same goes to The Prisoner for his comments).

The more responses the better, don't worry about it not being detailed/good enough more responses means that I have more to work with and present! Thanks for the contributions so far ToffeeTalk.

Question 1:

TBH I thought Leopards and Jaguars were the same, so which ever group Panthers go in. I'm fickle so just because they are aesthetically better.

Question 2:

Slight mutations in genes that help with adapting to new conditions and optimising efficency

Question 3:

Solo, hunt their prey then 'pounce' on them going for the neck, then share the kill with their young

Question 4:

Nope (when I can, tend to only give to Marie Curie)

Question 5:

Nope (unless you count Knowsley Safari Park)

Question 6:

Hunters/poachers, and corrupt governments/land laws

Edited by pete0

Thank you Pete, top post.

Question 1:

TBH I thought Leopards and Jaguars were the same, so which ever group Panthers go in. I'm fickle so just because they are aesthetically better.

They have only slight differances so it's understandable that people think that they are the same animal. Just as a little bit of trivia Panthers do not exist, it's a common misconception due to the Latin word for 'Big Cat' being Panthera. Because Tigers and Lions are so popular (and because they are not black) they are simply know as Lions and Tigers whilst due to there being black forms of both the Leopard and the Jaguar it's a common mistake around the world for people to call them Panthers. (Panthers from North America are Jaguars and Panthers from Asia and Africa are Leopards).

A nice little story to tell your kids on a Sunday afternoon - Panthers do not exist, they are really Black Leopards and Black Jaguars :)

Thank you Pete, top post.

They have only slight differances so it's understandable that people think that they are the same animal. Just as a little bit of trivia Panthers do not exist, it's a common misconception due to the Latin word for 'Big Cat' being Panthera. Because Tigers and Lions are so popular (and because they are not black) they are simply know as Lions and Tigers whilst due to there being black forms of both the Leopard and the Jaguar it's a common mistake around the world for people to call them Panthers. (Panthers from North America are Jaguars and Panthers from Asia and Africa are Leopards).

A nice little story to tell your kids on a Sunday afternoon - Panthers do not exist, they are really Black Leopards and Black Jaguars smile.png

Ah, at least i hadn't picked a unicornhappy.png. I'll have to add that to the memory bank, for pub quizzes. I though Jaguar, Panther, and Leopards were the same due to reading in the dictionary in a little fact box that it was the animal with the most different names around 42.

Question 1: – There are four Big Cats in the world (Tiger, Lion, Leopard and Jaguar) which one would you be most interested in protecting from extinction? (And your reasons why).

Personally, I like the Leopard out of all of them, so I’d probably choose them. There’s a vulnerability to Leopards, as ridiculous as that sounds. Tigers and Lions will always be ‘ok’ in my opinion, there will always be a reserve or breeding program that will save them and I think from people looking in, there will always be a ‘lion’ or a ‘tiger’ at a zoo. I just can’t see the numbers getting that bad, that they just die out. Leopards as well, are less aggressive than the other two, meaning from a domestic stand point, they’d be easier to integrate into a domestic setting. More research has been done with Leopards over that last few years regarding the rearing of their young and they’ve found that they’re more “caring” and maternal than other Big Cats, which I quite like.

You may have noticed that I’ve left out the Jaguar; it’s not that I have an issue with them; I just don’t think people would be as affected as the other two.

Evolution to me means the natural progressive development of any living thing, to survive in varied surroundings, environments and situations.

Depends on the Big Cat;

Lions will usually hunt with other members of their pride, usually isolating one individual and vunerable prey, and then the lions try overwhelming it in numbers and aggression. They will start by creeping, slow movements with a burst of speed.

Tigers are solitary hunters, usually work alone and the ‘hunts’ they part-take in, are normally short. They have awful endurance, so if they miss out on a prey in after a couple of seconds, they give up and ultimately don’t eat. Tigers try and stay out of sight, usually in big bushes etc. for as long as they can and wait for the lack of concentration from their prey.

Leopards are skull crushes aren’t they? They go for the neck and head; I believe they put up a chase and once in range, go for the jugular.

Question 4:Have you even donated money towards Big Cats protection in the past? (I do not wish to know about your finances of course, I’m just wondering how many people have actually taken it upon themselves to donate).

I have, to the snow Leopards. Beautiful creatures, only a handful left. Due to lack of food in their current environments, they’re slowly starving. That’s horrible.

Question 5:Have you ever seen the four Big Cats up close and if so which ones? (I want to find out how well the public know about these cats and how much contact they have had with them).

Lion; was in a reserve in south Africa and after being led to our hut at the reserve we were told what to look out for (light catching the eye, low rumbling sounds, heavy patting). A few hours after settling in, my dad noticed ‘eyes’ outside so we watched, and there was a lion doing laps around some of the huts. Scary stuff. Great to watch though. Apart from zoos, and that time, no other time comes to mind.

Question 6:Why do you think that all four Big Cats are critically endangered in the wild?

You could start back to pre-historic days when our ancestors hunted saber tooth. Main reasons for being hunted in recent history, was for their beauty and mystique. Throughout history cats and big cats have been worshipped for their beauty and elegance (Tigers in India, Lions in Africa).

The first major hunts for big cats were to retrieve their claws, teeth and anything of value. Then their fur and coats became an exotic necessity for the rich. They were also seen as illusive targets by hunters, who would always deem them as the ‘end goal’, the ultimate hunt. Something that can be incredible dangerous to hunt but also give you a run for your money.

Add to that more recent still, people saw them as threats, after attacks on villages, towns etc. Anything that could be dangerous enough to kill man was seen by many, worthy of death.

SO many reasons really J

Lion...hardest and just look cool and hairy like me B) ...put shades on them and wow :lol:

see these adverts for jaguars knockin around in the woods and that but if you never see them then they're a waste of time

not a big cat fan to be honest though big or small

to me it means perfection really...if you're good you survive...evolution doesn't play favourites...also a better argument than religion

don't know more than lions hunt in packs and tigers alone in the most...think i remember seein them not bein too proud to scavenge if unsuccessful though..not sure which big cat that is like...i'm a fountain of knowledge i know :lol:

Question 4: – Have you even donated money towards Big Cats protection in the past? (I do not wish to know about your finances of course, I’m just wondering how many people have actually taken it upon themselves to donate).

nope...don't plan to either...don't really care enough

Question 5: – Have you ever seen the four Big Cats up close and if so which ones? (I want to find out how well the public know about these cats and how much contact they have had with them).

been to a zoo and seen the usual there and went to that busch gardens place in america..beyond what you see in a zoo though nope...never been on safari or the like

Question 6: – Why do you think that all four Big Cats are critically endangered in the wild?

not 100%...some are hunted i know for sport which is disgustin and wrong and in that case i guess the animals need the help...are some dyin off cos of global changes though? if so leave them i say..don't interfere

think the four zoo mentioned come under the same group..can't remember the word begins with g?

cheetah has a different name..think its like the sub-fix of the daft latin name or whatever that they're all given

remember it on an attenborough programme..cougar is the same i think...only one in it's group

Edited by marcopaulo

J thanks so much for your detailed response, that post alone will play a vital part in my lecture. I owe you one bud.

Same goes for you Marco, a really nice response that I can play with for my project. Like I said the more responses I get the better chances I have of producing a good, quality piece of work so it does really help.

Keep them coming!

am i being stupid here or are Cheetahs not considered a big cat?

The genus 'Panthera' (Big Cat) only has four cats within it; Tiger, Lion, Leopards and Jaguars. Cougars come under the genus of 'Puma' whilst the Cheetah is in the genus 'Acinonyx' (and is the only one of this genus to still be alive).

It's been a long time since I've seen anyone take such a vested interest in Big Cats and things

I like those stories of pumas and jaguars and such in fields, often mistaken as big dogs, but thats about as far as it goes

I like those stories you get from Germany or China about people climbing into Lions enclosures etc, I'm a bit crazy perhaps but I wouldn't attempt that nonsense

Difficult choice to make, Lion's and Leopards are seen as being less endangered than Tigers and Jaguars. Of them all the Tiger is possibly more in trouble, yet this is well known and a lot of work is being done to help the various sub species. So I think on the face of it I would be more inclined to help the Jaguar. But I reserve the right to change my mind.

Evolution is the process by which living creatures 'mutate' to ensure a better survival ability for their progeny. It allows creatures to make the best of their environment.

Lions. Pack hunters. Use of intelligent hunting and social skills.

Leopard, Ambush hunter primarily, usually in forested areas rather than open plains as it often attacks from the trees too.

Tiger, stalks prey, and with a burst of speed uses it's immense strength to bring prey down.

Jaguar, similar to Leopard but more likely to be on the ground than in the trees

Yes I have.

I have seen Lions, Leopard, and Tiger. Do not remember seeing a Jaguar.

Environmental issues are the primary reason for the difficulties the animals are in. Loss of habitat, (and not all man made I hasten to add) To survive the animals need more stabilisation of their respective habitats. Either that, or they must evolve to suit their new environs.

J thanks so much for your detailed response, that post alone will play a vital part in my lecture. I owe you one bud.

Same goes for you Marco, a really nice response that I can play with for my project. Like I said the more responses I get the better chances I have of producing a good, quality piece of work so it does really help.

Keep them coming!

The genus 'Panthera' (Big Cat) only has four cats within it; Tiger, Lion, Leopards and Jaguars. Cougars come under the genus of 'Puma' whilst the Cheetah is in the genus 'Acinonyx' (and is the only one of this genus to still be alive).

that's what i just said.......unsure.png

that's what i just said.......

I expanded on your post ;)

I totally agree with you about the dude in the enclosure though. In order to have saved him they would have had to dart the lions and it seems stupid to me as they have done nothing wrong. If the bellend is that stupid as to jump in the enclosure then he should face the consequences.