IGNORED

Nike sports marketing deal now confirmed

Matt

http://www.liverpool...00252-30488318/

Nike will make the home, away and third strip for the Toffees - the first time they have dipped their toe in the Merseyside football market.

The deal comes as a result of Everton’s established £30m contract with sports retailers Kitbag to market the club's merchandise worldwide.

Signed by chief executive Robert Elstone in 2009 the agreement was the biggest commercial contract in the club's 131-year history, as Kitbag - who have their own contracts with Le Coq Sportif and Nike - took responsibility for high street shopping, mail order and the club's online store.

Supporters are likely to get their first glimpse of the new home shirt before the end of the season in May, and the team could then be set to wear it in their final home game of the season against Newcastle.

I think it was 2004 the last time we did that when we ended the campaign at home to Manchester United (I think a win would have seen us go into Europe). Good to see that we will get to see the home shirt so early and I'm actually excited to see what Nike can bring to the table, I'm guessing that this new strip will be very 'present' looking as opposed to some of the retro stuff that is flying around at the moment.

I cant see LCS letting us wear another brand in a match this season! Why would they give up one more day of exposure? Their contract will finish when the season does.

We have wore new kits loads of times, but only when it was the same manufacturer.

As expected..

It'll be interesting to see what, if any, difference having a kit manufactured by Nike will make. For years people have been complaining that Everton's kits are not manufactured by one of the 'big two'.

Matt - I've split this from the original topic because the other one was from someone asking about pre-ordering the kit for a friend. I think this deserves it's own thread wink.png

I cant see LCS letting us wear another brand in a match this season! Why would they give up one more day of exposure? Their contract will finish when the season does.

We have wore new kits loads of times, but only when it was the same manufacturer.

It's usually the final game of the season in the new kit, the Echo article suggests the new kit will be worn in May.

Anyway.. where did these reports of £10m come from in the first place? I'd never heard of them.

I find it interesting that Kitbag decided to cut short/not take the option of an additional two years with Le Coq Sportif. It'd be interesting to find out the thought process behind it.

It's usually the final game of the season in the new kit, the Echo article suggests the new kit will be worn in May.

I know that Louis, but LCS have the rights to this season, so surely they will block Everton wearing a Nike kit, even if it is the last game of the season.

I dont think so Mark.

We didnt do it when we went to LCS, and i'm pretty sure we never when we went back to Umbro, and it didnt happen with Puma.

What company would let you end an agreement early when it is of no benefit to them?

LCS have paid us for this season, Nike have paid for next season. If it happens i'll eat a book based on corporate stupidity and negligence.

Unless there was an agreement in place that meant they didn't cover the final game of the season?

Why would EFC ask for that or LCS allow it?

Edited by StevO

I say it's fine and acceptable to wear your teams colors and strips irrespective of ages if we were to talk about supporters, that goes for any clubs really. I haven't purchased a new replica for about two years now, it's not much different from the current variety so why spend cash on new tops each season when it's not really necessary. Soccer is far too commercialized these days and the best interests of the supporters aren't always primary but it's about profits and how much cash can be generated, the causal supporter is often overlooked in the way of big business

I meant that we weren't allowed to wear a new kit maker's shirt on the last game of the season, sorry!

Ah, no worries mate. Just me reading it wrong.

I can also hold my hands up and say that when we went back to Umbro from Puma we wore the new Umbro shirt in the last home game of the season, then wore the old Puma away kit in the very last game which was away from home.

So I will stand corrected.

Probably the first time we have had a brand that appeals to fashion minded fans since Puma.

I still remember the envy I felt when Liverpool replaced Umbro with Adidas in the 80's - the lad who sat next to me had all adidas branded stuff, we had le coq sportif...

Brands I think that would 'boost' sales are:

Kappa

Adidas

Nike

Puma

Probably the first time we have had a brand that appeals to fashion minded fans since Puma.

I still remember the envy I felt when Liverpool replaced Umbro with Adidas in the 80's - the lad who sat next to me had all adidas branded stuff, we had le coq sportif...

Brands I think that would 'boost' sales are:

Kappa

Adidas

Nike

Puma

The middle two, yes, the top and bottom brands wouldn't because they're not popular among the majority of people. We've had Puma before, remember, and it didn't boost anything.

Edited by Romey 1878

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Everton/Everton-change-kits.html

I think our distribution channels have always been pretty poor - still not convinced by kitbag, but in my opinion if we had store prescence in the likes of sports direct we would get a fair few sales from non evertonians who maybe support lower league clubs just for the odd pairs of shorts here and there alone.

Looking at the kits, it's fair to say LCS have made the best designs without being the most appealing brand. Looking forward to seeing what nike will do, especially training gear for my 7 a side games.

That's been more than offset by the money being offered though Mike. Up to £25m per season, it'd take 5months of that deal to eclipse the entirety of Everton's. Although it's worth mentioning that it's a subsidiary of New Balance and they've been relatively well known for a while. They don't have the street credit though and I presume that's why they've paid over the odds for the LFC deal as they want to get the brand out there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2088761/Liverpool-branded-failure-Adidas.html

I think Mike may be right, it will be interesting to see the appetite of the fans in terms of brand appeal of "warrior" - it just sounds like a brand that some wannabe UFC enthusiasts would wear with their "tapout" t-shirts. You know the sort... you see them in mcdonalds - they wear baseball caps back to front and in photos make some wierd pointy hand sign as if to make statement that they would ground and pound you....

'We thought what Liverpool were asking and what they were delivering was not in the right balance,' Hainer said.

Summarizes their fan's title hopes each year laugh.png

Mike, its a risk undoubtably but i dont think it'll dent their worldwide appeal too much!

Edited by tenaciousj