IGNORED

Moyes' column in The Times

Louis

http://www.thesunday...#comment-review

AT HOME I’ve still got a team sheet from a game in 2006. I don’t often keep them. This one’s a reminder that, in football, sometimes you need to look again. The match was Scotland Under-21s versus France Under-21s in Aberdeen. I thought I might spot some players but came away thinking: “There wasn’t much there.” France won but none of their youngsters made me think “wow”.

Well, on the pitch that night were Lassana Diara, Yohan Gourcuff and a certain Karim Benzema. Samir Nasri and Younes Kaboul were on the bench.

Looking at the players they became, it made me realise that under-21 games perhaps don’t always give you the truest picture.

Benzema’s massive potential was more obvious when he played for Lyons and now, under Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid, he looks to be fulfilling it. There are few better strikers around and tomorrow Benzema is the greatest threat to England. He spearheads a France side whose style is attacking and which contains a level of individual talent beyond England’s. Laurent Blanc, the France coach, has not one or even a couple but a number of individuals who, on their day, can produce the defining moment to beat you.

Supporting Benzema are Nasri and Franck Ribery. Florent Malouda adds experience and the substitutes are also real dangers: Hatem Ben Arfa, Olivier Giroud, Jeremy Menez and a small but exciting winger I once nearly managed to bring to Everton, Mathieu Valbuena.

The rest is about how England could defend against the French.

I had a discussion with Marco the other week about our 'transfer targets' and the players we actually do sign and I found it funny, that we as supporters are fuelled by rumours of this player and that player, yet ultimately only 1, of serious number of targets ever come off.

Moyes' purchases 'usually' come in under the radar, with no warning or links, prior to them arriving at Finch Farm and pitting pen to paper. There are many an example where we, as fans, had no idea that they were coming to the club. I'll name a couple but I'm sure there are plenty more;

Fellaini

Piennar

Arteta

Castillo

Straq

Drenthe

No one really knew of these player up until late into the transfer dealings and as Mark says, it's promising to see he did try to address the wing situation. For whatever reason Mathieu's transfer didn't come off, but above all the speculation, we'll never know.

It's silly but I came to realise this far too late. I got caught up in the hype of "we're linked with him", "he's coming to us", "why did he chose them over us" but at the end of the day, noone bar Moyes nd the Board know. I don't post in Runourama too much any more because it's not going to increase our chances in any way. I personally, got too caught up in the Moutinho and Manny deals and they didn't come off, for whatever reason (I'm not taking that the board are solely responsible bollocks, but I'm not dismissing the money idea).

So as of the start of next season, I hope we can keep our better players and add a couple more but at the end of the day, we may never know who's on Moyes' radar up until the last hour of the transfer window. I look forward to that and it's closure and hope we can sign some decent talent, look at a few at the euros maybe but personally, I think Moues should be looking at decent players who JUST misses out on the big squads, because they'll have something to prove leading up to the next world cup.

Good article, looking forward to seeing the boys run out to Z-cars again :)

I don't post in Runourama too much any more....

Neither do I, and I often "mark forum as read" without bothering to read if there's too much to be bothered with.

I will start a thread though if I read something that's not posted yet*.

*From the man who broke the Heitinga rumourtongue.png

I don't get wound up over rumours any more, I go into each transfer window hoping we sign some players but not really expecting much (at least until the last few days of the windows) and fully expecting at least one main player to be sold if it's a summer transfer window.

That way, it's not a shock when a big player is sold and I'm not too downhearted if it's the last day of the window and we haven't signed any one yet.

i try not to get worked up cos it's the situation we are in at the moment...but it's very hard not to get fuckin angry

Can't look beyond that really

and it's not just transfer rumors or target players either.

Look, the seasons' over with, got a few weeks away from domestic soccer so Moyes can have some time to himself and play a few rounds of golf and keep in the back of his mind some ideas of what we can feasibly bring in as way of new acquisitions. Maybe right now isn't the time to worry a little about any such instances, people will have other objectives and mind on other areas etc.

I don't get wound up over rumours any more, I go into each transfer window hoping we sign some players but not really expecting much (at least until the last few days of the windows) and fully expecting at least one main player to be sold if it's a summer transfer window.

That way, it's not a shock when a big player is sold and I'm not too downhearted if it's the last day of the window and we haven't signed any one yet.

This is the main thing I hate waiting for over the summer. 4 players on the list this season Fellaini, Heitinga, Baines, and Jags. Hoping it's Jags that goes, can settle with Baines leaving, will be sad to see Johnny go, and absolutely gutted if Felli leaves.

This is the main thing I hate waiting for over the summer. 4 players on the list this season Fellaini, Heitinga, Baines, and Jags. Hoping it's Jags that goes, can settle with Baines leaving, will be sad to see Johnny go, and absolutely gutted if Felli leaves.

This, for me!

Moyes tried to buy Valbuena! I would have been very exited if we signed him etc.

I wouldve be exciting, interesting etc but Id rather have gotten Affelay if we'd had the transfer funds, wage packet etc. Isnt he up for sale again? Or am I imagining a E6m fee?

He was on a bosman (hence why Moyes was interested) prior to joining Barca, but he's been injured for best part of the whole season. He'll come back though and do well, can't see him staying at Barca but i certainly don't expect him to come to us if he does leave.

He'd be the right kind of signing, but not a realistic one unfortunately. I'll eat my computer if he does though...

I wouldve be exciting, interesting etc but Id rather have gotten Affelay if we'd had the transfer funds, wage packet etc. Isnt he up for sale again? Or am I imagining a E6m fee?

The E6m fee etc might have been one of the problems, you also have life style, weather, etc.

Edited by StevO