IGNORED

Goal Line Technology

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Some would argue it should just be left as it is, It takes away all the debate and furore when you introduce these technologies. People watch the games, there is a dubious decision, and people talk about it for weeks after, it's part and parcel of what makes soccer sometimes, it all evens itself out over the course of a lifetime, one team gets done, and they get some payback sooner or later further down the line, we have seen it so many times before. But by the same token, and for the good and fairness of the game, some action needs to be undertaken.

Michel Platini is totally against it and he is head of UEFA. He is also rumoured to be a possible successor to Blatter at FIFA.

He thinks more officials is the way to go. UEFA matches WILL NOT have goal line technology used in them for the foreseeable future.

Michel Platini is totally against it and he is head of UEFA. He is also rumoured to be a possible successor to Blatter at FIFA.

He thinks more officials is the way to go. UEFA matches WILL NOT have goal line technology used in them for the foreseeable future.

He is also a twat.

I can't quite bring myself to castigate Platini as I saw what a good player he was 25/30 years ago, truly world class player, despite his apparent anti-english stance. Maybe these goal-line technologies will not be used in the immediate future but it's surely only a matter of time before they are properly introduced. Some are against the idea in fact, as you take all the debate and furore away with questionable decisions. But it can only be a matter of time before these things are finally brought to the fore.

• 8 months later...

Don't fully understand how the english can complain about that incident, when they got away with it in '66 and further down the line, the roles are reversed and they don't like it ? In any event, mixed feelings about this technology being implemented. Yes it's for the good of the game many will say, been a long time in coming, but some will argue it wasn't necessary and the game is good enough without it, and you take away some of the arguments and disputes about goal-line incidents with this introduction.

Don't fully understand how the english can complain about that incident, when they got away with it in '66 and further down the line, the roles are reversed and they don't like it ? In any event, mixed feelings about this technology being implemented. Yes it's for the good of the game many will say, been a long time in coming, but some will argue it wasn't necessary and the game is good enough without it, and you take away some of the arguments and disputes about goal-line incidents with this introduction.

'The English' don't complain, any more than the 'Americans' all eat burgers and weigh 30 stone before going off duck hunting.

The press don't represent English people. The governing bodies don't represent English people, any more than Hitler represented Germans. Most people are fair minded, and most people want what is fair.

The needs of the game of football should not be confused with the needs of fans. Like the chicken and the egg, the game comes first, the fans second. Too many fans think it is the other way around.

at last reality is dawning on FIFA -

by allowing mere mortals to make match deciding decisions while they don't have eyes in the back of their head allows corruption to creep into the game -

rugby has just increased the use of technology to get closer to the truth - not just on the try line

to me it is a complete no-brainer to question the use of technology -

eventually it will give at least some peace of mind to clubs outside the big 5 that one official won't easily sink them on his own -

lets hope this is the start of great technological advances in football - we have fallen behind the rest of the sporting world badly

I'm glad that goal line technology is coming in. It's affected us this season and I think it will benefit the game. I'd like it to be the only technology used though, I don't want every single tackle and offside being called by a robot, if the game becomes black and white then it becomes boring. Part of the enjoyment of football is controversy.

I'm glad that goal line technology is coming in. It's affected us this season and I think it will benefit the game. I'd like it to be the only technology used though, I don't want every single tackle and offside being called by a robot, if the game becomes black and white then it becomes boring. Part of the enjoyment of football is controversy.

I'd rather offsides be judged by tech, far more wrongful offside calls. Would be cheaper too.

Tackles can be subjective, but offsides are clear cut. Either you're onside, or you're offside. You will always need refs to 'interpret' the laws of the game, but there are some which are black and white, not grey.

The Suarez assault on Ivanovic today when he bit him on the arm is a perfect reason why technology and replays should be used during the game -

that brat who scored the equalizer should not have been on the pitch in the 8th minute of the 6 minute extra time allowed by the ref -

a poor player like Popov gets a red card and a 3 match ban for missing someone when he spat in his direction - Mr Suarez might still get player of the season the way things are going

Today has changed my opinion on technology to be honest. How can you have a player bite someone (which is actually a criminal offence) and then go on to score a goal in the 96th minute to get your team a point? I'm not being bitter here I'm just stating facts. Chelsea have been punished by someone who shouldn't have even been on the field.

I'm not for using technology for every little tackle but if there is an off the ball incident (i.e. - a bite,a punch, a headbutt) then someone should be watching on a TV and speak with the referee if such a thing happens. Everyone on Twitter was talking about the incident seconds after it happened so it could have been implemented on the field too.

Within seconds the horrible little twat would have been punished and Chelsea would have won. Things need to change.

Hard to implement for that sort of thing, because it can be subjective. A snap decision by a video ref might not take into account other evidence? The player might want to plead the case? I'm in no way defending the bite incident, just thinking of other incidents and how it may affect the game.

In AFL here we have a tribunal of football peers who review every match for these particular sorts of incidents and deal out penalties/bans/suspensions. Also if a player has had any such penalties during the season they are excluded from winning the end of season best & fairness award, even if they end up with the most votes overall.

Hard to implement for that sort of thing, because it can be subjective. A snap decision by a video ref might not take into account other evidence? The player might want to plead the case? I'm in no way defending the bite incident, just thinking of other incidents and how it may affect the game.

As I said I wouldn't have the feature for tackles I'd just use it for violent conduct that the officials can't see. It would mean that if there is an incident behind the referee's back 50 yards away then it can't go un-punished.

As I said I wouldn't have the feature for tackles I'd just use it for violent conduct that the officials can't see. It would mean that if there is an incident behind the referee's back 50 yards away then it can't go un-punished.

Hard to see 'all' the players at all times... Best for something a panel can go through with multiple angles/cameras at leisure. I can't imagine a video ref able to spot something within a few seconds of play and notify the ref. What happens if the video ref spots one incident, but cameras also catch another one on the other side of the pitch that all refs missed? Does that go unpunished because it wasn't reported? I hear you that we should make use of technology, but it's got to keep the flow of the game going. I would like to see a review of incidents even when a player was cautioned by the ref - a harsher penalty/suspension on review even if a yellow was given for example.