IGNORED

Rooney wanted to play in Hibbert testimonial

Maybe I should do this: 67.gif but I think it would have been great if this happened.

Life's too short to hold resentment against the lad for this long and he's gone off and done something that he, sadly, would never have done at our club. The "once a blue, always a blue" statement he made, although seemingly questioned through the pursuit of success, is still true.

I get the feeling that Wayne, as he gets older, is thinking beyond the fame, fortune and token things in life and there is an effort underway to appease fellow blues - his appearance at Goodison last season, revealing his son still gets an Everton kit, the talk about Everton that crops up more and more in interviews and, of course, this.

To gain forgiveness for the vast majority of blues, seeing out his contract at United and re-signing for us will likely do it.

Article from The Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/aug/07/wayne-rooney-everton-tony-hibbert

Wayne Rooney asked to play for Everton in Tony Hibbert's testimonial

• 'It was a great honour that he wanted to play,' says Hibbert

• Manchester United friendly stops Rooney from playing

This bit sums Tony up for me...

Hibbert has never scored in 309 appearances for Everton, an unwanted club record, but claims to have no plans to take a penalty should one be awarded against AEK. He said: "Everyone has been asking me that. The manager hasn't said anything, nobody has. I would rather us win 1-0 than us get beaten 2-1 and I score the goal. I just want to win. I don't know why everyone is saying I should take a penalty either. It's an easy way of scoring, isn't it? If I'm going to do it, I want it to be a 30-yarder."

As i stated in the hibbert thread, Rooney has no place in Hibberts testimonal. If he wants to play in a blue shirt again, let him run his contract down and join us as a 29/30 year old on a free transfer.

Anyone who thinks for one minute that his sale wasn't engineered is living in a dreamworld, how could we have kept him? How else would we have raised £20m to stop us going into administration.

As i stated in the hibbert thread, Rooney has no place in Hibberts testimonal. If he wants to play in a blue shirt again, let him run his contract down and join us as a 29/30 year old on a free transfer.

Anyone who thinks for one minute that his sale wasn't engineered is living in a dreamworld, how could we have kept him? How else would we have raised £20m to stop us going into administration.

I'd liked to have seen it myself. It certainly would raise the profile of the match and the club and to have one of the biggest stars in football playing for us, even just for 90 minutes, may even attract the attention of those looking for football club investment.

The downside, of course, would be it overshadowing the host of the party.

I'm not sure it was engineered by the club, but I think there was much more of a effort into completing the deal than has been revealed. I think it was utterly manipulated by Paul Stretford. I hope the relationship is different now and that Stretford doesn't have an exclusive contract on who Rooney listens to. If he does then the chances of him moving home after seeing out his Man U contract are practically zero.

I do agree that the money from it has saved the club though.

Rooney has no place in Hibberts testimonal.

I disagree, they came through the youth system with only a few years gap and have been friends for a long time.

I think his sale was engineered, but not by Rooney or his advisors, but i'm not getting into this, its another shit argument that wont change a thing.

I'd have been happy to have seen him in a blue shirt to be honest. I think he realises he made a bit of a tit of himself and has matured ten-fold, he's a blue and always will be (despite what some people say) and it would have been good to see someone with his calibre playing for us.

I disagree, they came through the youth system with only a few years gap and have been friends for a long time.

I think his sale was engineered, but not by Rooney or his advisors, but i'm not getting into this, its another shit argument that wont change a thing.

I just don't think that given Hibberts service to the club it would be right in having someone play who arguably was the best home grown talent we have had who left after 2 seasons - a high profile player who has kissed the united badge in front of fans. Sure he probably regrets that but many fans will not forget and he would no doubt get some stick which would taint the atmosphere.

He isn't a retired legend who is there to generate nostalgia - he is still plying his trade and will be facing us in a couple of weeks. We are bigger than Rooney and don't need him to patronise us in an exhibition game where we could give valuable time to the likes of Barkley, Naismith etc.

As i've said, if he wants to run his contract down and give us a £20m asset for nothing in a few years then great, till then no.

I just don't think that given Hibberts service to the club it would be right in having someone play who arguably was the best home grown talent we have had who left after 2 seasons - a high profile player who has kissed the united badge in front of fans. Sure he probably regrets that but many fans will not forget and he would no doubt get some stick which would taint the atmosphere.

He isn't a retired legend who is there to generate nostalgia - he is still plying his trade and will be facing us in a couple of weeks. We are bigger than Rooney and don't need him to patronise us in an exhibition game where we could give valuable time to the likes of Barkley, Naismith etc.

As i've said, if he wants to run his contract down and give us a £20m asset for nothing in a few years then great, till then no.

Im with SteveO on this one, I think it would have been a good thing if he played

I take what your saying about him kissing the badge and agree totally that he deserved everything he got after that, I have given him plenty of abuse in the past but I do think thats where it should stay now, in the past

I dont think many Evertonians care about all that anymore, I didnt hear a single anti Rooney chant or comment at Old Trafford last time out, so I doubt he would have got much stick if he pitched up for Hibbos testimonial.

If he had played tonight it would have been a good way to finally bury the hatchet

If as you suggest the move was engineered by the board then why hold a grudge against Rooney?

Rooney was no longer a part of Everton Football Club once he transfered to Old Trafford in the summer of 2004 for me, and that goes for a fair many others. Would I want him in a Hibbert testimonial?, all things considered, No is the answer. Not really any animosity, and not my favorite player either, but just think it inappropriate above all else. Rooney left Goodison Park 8 years ago, he made the decision, could have been a Toffee great over time, you can't blame the kid for wanting to better himself, but the fans loved him and some never really forgave him when he decided to leave, also the badge kissing nonsense as mentioned, kid did himself no favors that day. Some to this day will have elephantine memories about the days in question, and for whatever reasons, still harbor a grudge or ill feeling. Not really a part of that, but it's simply not on having Rooney play, he's been absent for a good part of Hibberts Toffee career anyway, bottom line is, it seems no place for him as an Everton player again, or at least, while with another club, and the one he left us for. This debate will run and run but that's how I feel about it.

No matter what happened, the way I look at it is we got the much-needed coin we needed out of that deal. No point in discussing what really went on - we may never know and it won't change a thing now. As for him donning the blue shirt again, if he's a real blue, as hafnia says he can run his contract out and join us on a free and help raise the profile of the club.

We don't need him back to do that, and in all probability, Rooney will never play for Everton again, I feel once he left when he did, any return thereafter sure looks unlikely, watch this space in enough years to come to validate my point.

Rooney left us a player on August 31 2004, I did think maybe it was a few days or even weeks earlier than that. Even so, no player is the end all and be all, as even with his omission, we had one of the best seasons ever in recent years and got a European Cup place (4th) at end of season.

I've just gone off the player since his transfer away. Can't quite put it into words, but there's a certain distaste evident. This manifests itself during International Games and Tournaments. I don't wish the kid any harm, but just my appreciation or feelings have deteriorated after his departure. Maybe I just hate everybody is what it is. mellow.png