IGNORED

AEK Athens

MikeO

Really good game from us today and one which has me really excited for the Manchester United game in a few weeks;

Howard - Was pretty quiet but did what he needed to well, I was a bit dissapointed that he got nothing on the Athens goal but in all fairness it was a rocket and would have took some stopping. He's a step up from Mucha and someone who I'm happy keeping our goal safe - nice game.

Baines/Heitinga/Distin - Solid performance at the back from the Everton lads today and Athens never looked like scoring after their goal in the first half, we shut up shop really well and look in good form for the start of next season, if we play like we did tonight I can see us being a really good defensive unit for the year ahead. (was especially nice to see Baines linking up with Pienaar too throughout the game ).

Hibbert - Class performance as always from Hibbo, a fanstastic strike for his first goal and one which was met with true Everton rioting. Made up for the man and I just hope that he can grab one in the Premiership too.

Osman/Gibson - Both rather quiet but did what they needed to well, Gibbo bombed into a few tackles a bit wildly and looked a bit clumsy but I'm sure once the Premier League kicks in he'll settle down.

Pienaar - I'm his biggest critic over the whole saga this summer but he was a really good today, he set our attacks alight and linked up really well with Baines to show some Everton' attacks that reminded me of last season, I get the feeling that with these two down our wing we will do really well (as we already know what they can do).

Fellaini - Bossed the midfield as usual and looked rather better in his new attacking-role, if he can bring the ball out of the air and walk around defenders in the middle of the park then I see no reason why he can't do it in the box, I think he's going to be even more valuable to us this season than ever before.

Naismith - Hat-trick on his home debut, can we really complain? The first goal was pure class, lobbing the goalkeeper so calmly just seconds into the game and looking totally at home in an Everton shirt, I was slightly skeptical about him when he joined but I have to say he's got me really excited, his first two goals were well taken and the third was a real poachers goal, smashing home from close range - MOTM.

Jelavic - Looked off the pace and was very average. He's probably only just getting into match fitness though so I'm not worrying just yet, I'm sure once he's 100% him and Naismith will be lethal.

Mucha - OK game. (nice clean sheet) but flapped at a corner which wasn't really much trouble and seemed a little all over the place, I'm happy he's number two but I think he's only ever going to be that for us.

Neville - Sad to say but I think he's going to slowly move out of our team, he looked off the pace as soon as he came on and considering that he was fresh and the Athens lads had been playing an hour is a worry, he was turned all over the place and had to have the likes of Baines and Distin cover him when he was turned inside and out. I like Phil but I think his days of starting (and playing the full 90) are going to be behind him soon.

Rodwell/Gueye/Duffy/Barkley/Vellios/Anichebe - All did what the had to well enough, nothing stood out as magical from them but nothing stood out for the wrong reasons either. I didn't see anything that would make me want to put them in the Starting XI but I'm glad we have them at our disposal.

All in all a good game, 4 goals at home and three from our new signing who looks like a class act. 2012/13 is promising.

Keeper should've comfortably saved that.

Dived behind his line.....wonder if someone had a quiet word with him?

Having said that he made a great save earlier on from a proper Hibbo screamer, if that one had gone in I'd have been very impressed!

The video dosen't really do the goal justice in terms of the amount of power that Tony put into his shot, the goalkeeper dove as quickly as he could but the free-kick was just hit that well that he coulden't keep it out. Whilst I agree the goalkeeper could maybe of done better I do believe that Hibbert hit it more than good enough to warrant a goal.

problem with goals in testimonials you always feel it was planned

I dont think so, it was obvious throughout the game that Athens were playing for the win and the reaction from the goalkeeper showed that he didn't let it in. Tony hit the ball as sweet as he could have hoped and got his reward, I'm personally over the moon that he scored in this fashion as opposed to tapping it in from 12-yards.

Definitely didnt look staged to me, but more importantly Im glad to hear we sounded 'solid' as normally at this stage of the pre-season we look anything but!

I too was a bit sceptical about Naismith (more because he came from Scottish football than having actually seen him play) but it seems he has something about him.

Was a decent performance, but nothing special. Score flattered us a bit if were honest.

Hibbos goal was well taken and defo not staged. His earlier shot would have been a goal of the season contender if it went in!

Felli...same old, same old...pure class!

Great 45 mins from Naismith. not only his goals but his overall effort. Looks like he has a real engine.

Defense....a prem team would have punished us on more than a few occasions. exs te free header at start of second half. Another would have been Barkleys silly trick outside his own area, losing the ball then trying to stud the guys legs. Luckily he missed the tackle and the ref played on. Reminded me of QPR again. Really hopes he learns his lesson soon or we wont be seeing him near the first team.

Attacking wise we looked real good in the first half. Pienaar was the biggest threat ( as usual ) but have to say coleman did pretty good when he came on. Gueye again was good in stages, but is another that needs to work just as hard from start to finish and not just in flashes.....Reminds me so much of billy.

Rodders looks like hes getting back on track with a solid game when he came on.

All in all i think that was so much better than Blackpool.

But the night belonged to Hibbo! Great performance and such a nice guy........a goal against Man U and maybe we should be talking about a statue for him haha!

Defense....a prem team would have punished us on more than a few occasions. exs te free header at start of second half. Another would have been Barkleys silly trick outside his own area, losing the ball then trying to stud the guys legs. Luckily he missed the tackle and the ref played on. Reminded me of QPR again. Really hopes he learns his lesson soon or we wont be seeing him near the first team.

I wasn't really impressed with Barkley to be honest, for someone that has been in the first team I'd expect him to play with a little more class than what he did, numerous times he struggled up front and in the Premiership his Maradona-turn which went wrong on the outside of our box would have gone punished. Let's just hope he can knuckle down in the Malaga game and show Moyes what he's got.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.