IGNORED

Phobias

MikeO

Real bad one for heights me.....on holiday there are places I can't go because I can't do cliffs/mountain roads. Can't walk across high bridges, can't even watch climbers on TV without feeling ill.

So I decided to try to do something about it....had an assessment yesterday and I'm going to get CBT which involves "exposure therapy" which is pretty self explanatory. Scared shitless if I'm honest but I really want to get it sorted :(. I'll let you know how I get on (I'll ask Josh to tell you if I fall off something so you know where to send the flowers :lol:).

Anyone got any fears they're willing to own up to (I know about Matt and flying) :P?

@Mike - You wouldn't like where I went to in Madeira then. We went to the top of this cliff that has a glass-floored platform which is situated over 500 meters above sea level. There is nothing between the platform and the sea either, it's just a straight drop. I'm bad with heights but I wouldn't say I have a phobia of it. I could go on the platform but I did kinda' shit myself when looking down at a sheer drop. The picture below is that place I'm on about;

Cabo-Gir%C3%A3o-Madeira-Visitors-stand-o

As for me I'm terrified of spiders which I think is pretty normal. Mrs. Zoo has a pretty mental phobia of bee's and wasps.

earwig-md.jpg

YES!!!!!!! I don't have a phobia, but they used to scare the crap out of me in Cubs, as a kid. Go camping, the tents, guaranteed would be full of them. Many a nightmare about them. Now, i'm not too bad but they're horrific little things.

Edited by tenaciousj

@Mike - You wouldn't like where I went to in Madeira then.

Nah....give me a couple of months though B).

There's a pretty iconic beach in Zakynthos that I've been to by boat but you can also view from above, either from a little viewing platform or the cliff edge. About 200 meters high I think....I can't go within half a mile of it :lol:.

85b3a_130529144011-32-navagio-shipwreck-

Nah....give me a couple of months though B).

There's a pretty iconic beach in Zakynthos that I've been to by boat but you can also view from above, either from a little viewing platform or the cliff edge. About 200 meters high I think....I can't go within half a mile of it :lol:.

85b3a_130529144011-32-navagio-shipwreck-

Been there to. Cliffs were amazing, shipwreck a dissappointment. Was hoping for a pirate wreckage, got a rusty skip.

Not overly keen on Zakynthos but we have already had this discussion if i remember correctly ;)

My wife hates birds. Mostly city doves. Cant go near them.

Dont think I have any phobias but not walking around licking spiders or snakes and stuff, just to be on the safe side.

Was not that keen on open water in places with sharks. So probably more sharks than open water. Wouldnt call it a phobia though, more like common sense.

Edited by Peter H

Been there to. Cliffs were amazing, shipwreck a dissappointment. Was hoping for a pirate wreckage, got a rusty skip.

Not overly keen on Zakynthos but we have already had this discussion if i remember correctly ;)

We have indeed. I agree on the beach, it's a lump of scrap metal and the beach itself is sharp pebbles so impossible to lie on/walk on comfortably and the sea gets deep really quickly so it's shit for kids. Looks OK from a distance but the reality is pretty shitty.

If you're basing your opinion on the island on the resorts I agree with you 100%, horrible places the lot of them filled with karaoke bars, quiz nights and crazy golf (think we worked out that you stayed in Argassi?). We stay in a little village with only the odd Greek and Italian about in the way of tourists :).

Used to be moths (big hairy ones) but I'm pretty much past it for some reason - just seemed to reduce over time. Did, unfortunately, get to have to remove a hawk moth (couldn't twat it, it was so big, what if I didn't kill it 1st time?) a few years ago - paralysed with fear before I decided what to do (shouted the wife! - the 2nd one!). Still not comfortable around birds, in fact you could say I am positively twitchy! I can't stand the feathered fuckers but would wish one no harm. Stems from childhood when my Dad used to put the pet budgie (didn't everyone have a budgie?) on my head "for a laugh" if I was sat on the floor - I hate that thing as much today as I hated it then and I'm not sorry a window was accidentally left open and it fucked off never to be seen again!

Not too keen on going up narrow or 'bendy' ladders up to say 1st storey house height, and above - not really a phobia more of an inner ear imbalance thing - get a bit knee-trembly and slightly dizzy but soon goes if just look straight ahead and not look up nor down (bit like if you're on the sea/ocean, feeling sea-sick - look at the horizon, nowhere else, and it soon goes).

Have heard the "look straight ahead" thing has helped a lot of people realise their 'fear' of height is down to this imbalance, though this obviously doesn't apply to all.

Have heard the "look straight ahead" thing has helped a lot of people realise their 'fear' of height is down to this imbalance, though this obviously doesn't apply to all.

I've tried the "look straight ahead" thing on bridges but I concentrate so hard on it I forget to breathe :lol:.

I've tried the "look straight ahead" thing on bridges but I concentrate so hard on it I forget to breathe :lol:.

I can understand that...... was the same with the moths for me at one point... have smashed lamps, lamp shades, had to re-paint, buy new furniture (seriously) following the aftermath of my frenzy in getting to them and when I did making sure I had sent them on their way to hell in a million pieces! I would hit it fifty times after it was dead. Made Basil Fawlty look like he was carefully waxing that car! It's :rofl: now but wasn't much fun at the time.....

Not a phobia but don't like most insects or crawly things. Funnily enough I quite like bees and wasps, despite being stung plenty of times when I was younger. It's mostly cockroaches, worms, centipedes and such disgusting things. Oh and things that fly in my general direction such as moths or dragonflies.

Didn't like spiders before but when I find one inside these days I try and take them back out to the garden, rather than smashing them with the first shoe I can find. They're actually quite nice.

Damn, I need to man up (if you're a member of Liverpool staff please ignore).

We have indeed. I agree on the beach, it's a lump of scrap metal and the beach itself is sharp pebbles so impossible to lie on/walk on comfortably and the sea gets deep really quickly so it's shit for kids. Looks OK from a distance but the reality is pretty shitty.

If you're basing your opinion on the island on the resorts I agree with you 100%, horrible places the lot of them filled with karaoke bars, quiz nights and crazy golf (think we worked out that you stayed in Argassi?). We stay in a little village with only the odd Greek and Italian about in the way of tourists :).

Been to Zakynthos twice - Lagana (1994=ish) and Alikes/Alykes (1997). Alikes/Alykes better place by a mile. Zakynthos = major earthquake zone? As for sea bed falling away steeply - from 1 metre to over 200 metres within 15 metres of the shore, in places, as I almost found to my cost.

Zakynthos = major earthquake zone?

Was in a 5.6 on the richter scale (among many smaller ones) there in 2005. Was quite an experience.

Alykes (and Alykanas next door) are the best of the resorts imo, though probably a bit more touristy now than '97.

I'm alright with all manner of creepy crawlies, just can't do wasps or bees. They scare the living shit out of me for no other reason. I have to keep a level on it when my kids are around as I don't want them doing the same.

Didn't think too much about the sharks thing, when I visited Australia years ago. A mate and me went surfing just off Surfers Paradise at about 5 am, still fairly drunk. News reports in the afternoon said that someone had been killed by one of these bull whalers that morning. Made me pretty scared to go in at stupid o'clock again.

Your'e right, I've based my opinion on Argassi. We have done the same as you but on Samos. Stayed at a tiny local fishing village so I suppose that I have the same relation to Samos as you have to Zakynthos. One thing I did like about Zakynthos were the Blue Caves (if I remember correctly). Visited them on the same trip as the shipwreck.

Edited by Peter H