IGNORED

The i-pod shuffle

maroon1

You can tell a lot about somebody when you find out what kinda music they listen to, so lets hear what you guys have got on your generic music devices...What to do is "select" your entire music collection and then press "shuffle" and tell us the first 3 songs that come on. We've all got embarrassing stuff, so no cheating now :Grammar Police: . I'll go first...ok..... "music"....."artists"...."shuffle".....ooooft first up Glam Rock Cops by Carter USM.......2nd track..Invisible by Skylar Grey (that's a bit fruity :o ...3rd track..Number One Song in Heaven by Sparks. Over to you now

1) Gustav Mahler's 10th symphony final movement (Mazzetti version)

2) Malcolm Arnold's Cornish Dances first dance

3) Michael Tippett's opera 'The Midsummer Marriage' "Mark, who are they"

You did ask! :)

Nothing wrong with that...I've got loads of classical. Just didn't come up in the first three :),

(Opera does nothing for me though I have to say)

Opera is where you have a fat woman screeching in Italian (at frequency levels a dog would be hard pushed to hear).

Hateful stuff.

I can see you need a little education. Some might say that football is nothing more than a bunch of overpaid louts kicking around a pig's bladder. To those in the know, however, it's all about nuance and patterns and individual skill and teamwork and tension and disappointment and exhilaration. Opera is much the same - with a storyline.

And this guy became an instant celebrity by singing opera.

I can see you need a little education. Some might say that football is nothing more than a bunch of overpaid louts kicking around a pig's bladder. To those in the know, however, it's all about nuance and patterns and individual skill and teamwork and tension and disappointment and exhilaration. Opera is much the same - with a storyline.

And this guy became an instant celebrity by singing opera.

When you use a talent show to back up your argument you lose me completely :mellow:.

Even more hateful than opera.

I need no education, I have a classical music obsessed piano teaching mother in law who's tried to "educate" me for decades....and I spent many many years as a sound engineer suffering the caterwauling nonsense at times (wasn't good enough to cherry pick my own projects sadly).

Ballet I like, lots of classics I love, opera leaves me cold every time. Music of any genre is about an emotional reaction isn't it? If you need to be "educated" to listen to it we're talking pretentiousness. And then we'll get to jazz and I'll get really cross.

If you need to be "educated" to listen to it we're talking pretentiousness. And then we'll get to jazz and I'll get really cross.

I've listened to Mahler's Tenth Symphony at least 200 times, and I still learn from it. It educates me every time I listen - and the more I do so, the more I realize just how great a masterpiece it really is. Even more amazing is that it was never finished, and several musicologists in recent years have transformed the sketches into full orchestral scores. It's not opera, admittedly, but it's very intense nonetheless.

As for jazz, I've never been able to fathom it. I think it's because, as someone who loves maths, music, and chess, I think in terms of structure and patterns. With jazz, there is little structure and few formal patterns.

If you need to be "educated" to listen to it we're talking pretentiousness. And then we'll get to jazz and I'll get really cross.

I've listened to Mahler's Tenth Symphony at least 200 times, and I still learn from it. It educates me every time I listen - and the more I do so, the more I realize just how great a masterpiece it really is. Even more amazing is that it was never finished, and several musicologists in recent years have transformed the sketches into full orchestral scores. It's not opera, admittedly, but it's very intense nonetheless.

As for jazz, I've never been able to fathom it. I think it's because, as someone who loves maths, music, and chess, I think in terms of structure and patterns. With jazz, there is little structure and few formal patterns.

I only listen to a little bit of classical, but it's mostly all piano (Satie being my main outlet), but I love jazz, especially of the avante-garde sub genre. It probably stems from being a drummer, and jazz has the best drummers around in my opinion. And there are a lot of patterns and structures in jazz -- it just doesn't conform to the symmetry of other genres. I will say you have to know who to listen to in order to enjoy it.

I only listen to a little bit of classical, but it's mostly all piano (Satie being my main outlet), but I love jazz, especially of the avante-garde sub genre. It probably stems from being a drummer, and jazz has the best drummers around in my opinion. And there are a lot of patterns and structures in jazz -- it just doesn't conform to the symmetry of other genres. I will say you have to know who to listen to in order to enjoy it.

So, for someone who would really like to understand it, who would you recommend?

So, for someone who would really like to understand it, who would you recommend?

Art Blakey, Max Roach, Clifford Brown, Sonny Rollins, and Ornette Coleman are probably my favorite jazz artists of all time.

I'd start with any of the first four before giving Coleman a chance though. Free jazz might just sound like a bunch of honking horns to you if you hop right into it. It's certainly something you acquire an appreciation of