IGNORED

Everton could theoretically benefit from UEFA rule change

Louis

I didn't mean any offence mate, I just read a shocker of a thread this morning on an American 'soccer' site, putting down Scotland etc, and I've had a bee in my bonnet since.

As I say, it's probably because teams in 15th would have no chance of making third with 10 games to go. Still some money to play for, but no European places etc in a bigger league than the PL. There needs to be an incentive, which is why the play-offs exist I expect. Well, that and the FA/ Football League making money from the Wembley final showpiece.

No worries, I know you didn't. I'm simply agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that being as an American -- who is generally a fan of playoffs -- that I don't understand the reasoning behind them in the English Championship and below. To me, third place deserves to be promoted without a playoff rather than fighting off 4th-6th place.

No worries, I know you didn't. I'm simply agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that being as an American -- who is generally a fan of playoffs -- that I don't understand the reasoning behind them in the English Championship and below. To me, third place deserves to be promoted without a playoff rather than fighting off 4th-6th place.

Nah, I agree with you from a sporting perspective, you're spot on about the Championship. As I say, I'd imagine it's the money the play-off finals generate, and the fact that the leagues are so huge, that are the reasons for the play-offs' existence. They'd need far less than 24 teams to make it competitive - imagine a team in 16th with nothing to play for playing 4th, as opposed to 6th playing 3rd. This is true in all league of course, but it's even more extreme in the Football League as 24 teams is far too much imo.

You don't think a Villa finishing 7th doesn't make them a better side than a Millwall finishing 16th in the Championship and losing a cup final? You don't think a Villa playing in Europe is likely to go further in the competition than a Millwall?

If that's the case then this discussion need go no further.

Edit - maybe I should have put better teams, rather than best teams, in my previous post.

were did I say anything about either side being better than the other :huh: we're talking about 2 separate competitions, you can't compare them the same. Why bother having the Cups at all, if you do believe that? The beauty of the Cups is that it gives that chance to teams outside of the best, to achieve something. Winning the final is always the goal, but if you fail but qualify for Europe, that's still an achievement. But fuck it eh, let's take that chance a way from a team that very nearly won, to a team that didn't get close to winning anything....

I think I've stated before, I am not patriotic in the slightest, I could not care less about how England is represented in European football, unless it was Everton. There's only 1 team I care about, so "better team representing England" is irrelevant for me. Didn't care that Fulham did so well in Europe a few seasons ago, though I was happy their fans got to enjoy the ride. I don't support any of the English sides in their ties, I watch the game to enjoy it, and may the best team win.

The European place dedicated to a cup should stay in that competition. Moving it out of the cup competition to cater for richer, better know teams (who may or may not represent England better - it's as unknown as who will win/come runner up in the Cup) who didn't succeed in the league, nor the cup, is just wrong

I'll put it this way: take the place away from the runner up? Fine, give it to another league

Edited by Matt

were did I say anything about either side being better than the other :huh:

I said it should be about the best (or better) teams in the European competitions, and then you said but they're not.

Why bother having the cups in the first place? Christ, I said the winners and only the winners should take the European place. I just don't agree with a runner-up getting it.

Well, I'm pretty sure the FA care about how we're represented in European competitions, thankfully. And that, I would imagine, is part of the reason behind the change. So, I'm glad they've showed some logic for a change.

Fortunately, the place can't go to another league because we get a set amount of European places and then the FA decide how they're allocated.

Neither one of us is going to convince the other so we should just agree to disagree, rather than bore every one.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the cups should stay as they are, otherwise what chance does a lower league side have of Europe. We might benefit, but for the good of football, I think it shouldn't be to the detriment of other clubs.

If you are concerned with the "good of football", certainly having a Wigan side (currently sitting 10th in the Championship) playing in Europe does not make it any better. Wigan and other championship teams do not need to play any more games than they already do each season. Their season is a long and arduous one as it is. As great as it is to see a lower club in Europe, it does not provide a benefit to football as a whole. Especially if we are rooting for an England side to win the Europa League. Would much rather see an Everton, Liverpool, Southampton...etc in Europe (no bias I swear).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24958189

"You will now have six teams playing for four Champions League places, with the other 14 teams playing for survival. Never again will the likes of Everton, Newcastle or Villa get near the top - the difference in revenues will just be too great."

Paints a pretty black picture; we need to somehow crack the top four this season or next or we'll be reduced to a perennial fight for seventh (according to Purslow and others) :(.