IGNORED

What are the weirdest football facts you know?

Think, as one of the comments suggests, that that game was pre the active/inactive changes in the offside rule (evidenced by the fact that the flag was raised before Zidane touched the ball). And if you look at it the striker in the middle (Henry?) is plainly in an offside position when the ball's played while Zidane isn't, so far more likely that the decision was against him.

We just assume that it was against Zidane because the camera focused on him (and he thought it was against him).

further on down it says that zidane was flagged because the rule was in before this game...i dunno..was just shocked by that stat and googled it and this came up!

also

42 Zidane caught offside when clean through on Schmeichel's goal. Replay suggests a bad decision.
56 Zidane caught narrowly offside on the Italian's left flank. Yorke wins another long ball in the air but the attack comes to nothing
Edited by marcopaulo

further on down it says that zidane was flagged because the rule was in before this game...i dunno..was just shocked by that stat and googled it and this came up!

Rule was changed for the 07/08 season I think, if the rule was in before the game why was he flagged way before he touched the ball (and became "active")? Makes no sense.

Your other evidence suggests the "fact" is bollocks though so who gives a shit :P.

Brazils first ever competitive game was against Exeter City on the 27th July 1914 at the Laranjeiras Stadium, Rio de Janeiro

....and one of Brazil's goalscorers than day was called Osman.

They're going to "recreate" the game for the 100th anniversary next year.

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2013-07-26/exeter-city-to-play-brazil-100-years-after-first-fixture/

....although some local rumour that the game may be in doubt....

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Brazil-speculation-unhelpful-say-Exeter-City/story-19781043-detail/story.html

Barry Fry, ex Birmingham City manager, urinated at each of the corner flags at Saint Andrews stadium in an 'attempt' to keep away an old gypsy curse that apparently hung over the venue. I read this years ago and thought warranted a mention.

I vaguely remember him being interviewed about that on Midlands Today (local news!)

Wimbledon took just a little longer - and then moved to Milton Keynes.

But started from non-league; so the rise was even more remarkable.

Didn't know the Northampton thing; looking it up though the one season they had in the top flight was 65/66 which was the year before my earliest football memories.....so that's probably why I wasn't aware of it :unsure:.

I remember reading somewhere a million years ago that the ball burst in two successive Cup Finals...about 1948, 1949...not certain of the dates. But Charlton were in both finals.

I'd forgotten that used to happen; ref always used to put the ball to their ear and shake so they could hear the bladder flopping about inside.