IGNORED

World Cup draw/predictions

Guest Nikica

We all know what FIFA and Blatter are like, and we've seen the outcry over the France situation, but let's focus solely on the football and the draw if possible...

It's tomorrow, starting at 4pm BST, although all the foreplay will probably mean the actual draw doesn't start until about 5. It's pretty self-explanatory. A team will be drawn at random from the 9 team non-seeded Europe pot, placed in pot 2 to even the pots, and then placed with a South American seed at random to avoid a group with three European teams. After that, it's pretty straightforward other than Ecuador and Chile not being eligible to join a group with one of the three remaining CONMEBOL seeds.

Here's a link to the pots and the procedure. Yes, it's wikipedia, but I've read the notes and it's all accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_FIFA_World_Cup_seeding

I thought we could use this thread to discuss the draw and any early predictions.

Possible 'groups of death':

Spain, Chile, Japan, Italy

Brazil, Italy, USA, Holland

Edited by Nikica

This was the rehearsal draw:

GROUP A - Brazil, Italy, France, Australia.

GROUP B - Uruguay, Nigeria, USA, Croatia.

GROUP C - Argentina, Ghana, Costa Rica, Russia.

GROUP D - Switzerland, Chile, Japan, Greece.

GROUP E - Spain, Ivory Coast, South Korea, England.

GROUP F - Colombia, Cameroon, Honduras, Holland.

GROUP G - Germany, Ecuador, Iran, Portugal.

GROUP H - Belgium, Algeria, Mexico, Bosnia.

Group A: Brazil, Mexico, Croatia and Cameroon

Group B: Spain, Chile, Australia and Netherlands.

Group C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast and Japan.

Group D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica and Italy.

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador, France and Honduras.

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria.

Group G: Germany, Ghana, Portugal and USA.

Group H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia and South Korea.

I want to die. This is one of the worst possible groups that the USA could've gotten.

It really bothers me that Mexico barely qualifies and then gets handed a relatively easy group. We stomped our entire region -- and then this draw.

Well at least there's a decent chance one of us will be happy. Unless Ghana decide to do a 2010.

What about that France group? Piss off Ukraine.

Well at least there's a decent chance one of us will be happy. Unless Ghana decide to do a 2010.

What about that France group? Piss off Ukraine.

Ghana has knocked us out the last two World Cups in a row -- I really hope it's not a third. I'm hoping for a win against Ghana and a draw against Portugal and Germany.

France is so damn lucky to get that group.

Group B looks insane for Australia. I definitely wouldn't want to be in their place either.

I look forward to watching us embarrass ourselves. Could be the best thing to happen to us as well.

I reckon you'll make it out of your group personally, probably in 2nd, just ahead of the 3rd placed team. And then you can get a decent draw in the last 16 as well as group C isn't the strongest. I predict a respectable if dull and unspectacular quarter final exit for you.

You will then piss your qualifying group for Euro 2016, get out your group in the competition proper and get knocked out in the quarter finals, in what will be a respectable if dull and unspectacular performance.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I reckon you'll make it out of your group personally, probably in 2nd, just ahead of the 3rd placed team. And then you can get a decent draw in the last 16 as well as group C isn't the strongest. I predict a respectable if dull and unspectacular quarter final exit for you.

You will then piss your qualifying group for Euro 2016, get out your group in the competition proper and get knocked out in the quarter finals, in what will be a respectable if dull and unspectacular performance.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Well that made me laugh! Probably dead on as well.

Thanks for the comments so far - interesting draw. Argentina and France will be happy (although i can still see Switzerland and Ecuador knocking France out). With the talent at Argentina's disposal, and the fact that they're likely to play second place from France's group in the last sixteen, there's really no excuse for them not to make the last 8. If they can't even do that with this draw then they don't deserve to win the WC in the first place.

England were unfortunate to draw the team who went to the second pot - Italy. That's what makes their group pretty tough. The German and Spanish groups are absolute belters as well. Australia have been the team who've been fucked most out of all thirty-two imo - they're not a very good team as it is, but to draw arguably the best team in every pot (in fact with Italy moved to pot 2 Holland were definitely the best team in pot 4, despite being overrated, see below) is insane. I will be stunned if they get a single point.

I also feel that Brazil are being overrated. They might win it but I can see them caving under the pressure of the obsessive home support. When you're as good as Spain and Germany, playing in an away continent isn't the disadvantage people claim it is, imo.

Repeat ad infinitum.

I disagree with this, personally. England might scrape through (don't think they will, but you never know). However, if they do it will be in second place at best probably, and then they're likely to play Colombia in the last sixteen. Colombia are an extremely good team and better than Uruguay, imo (who England have drawn). I would back Colombia to beat England 8/10, especially in their home continent.

Will be extremely surprised if England make the last 8.

Predictions if the tournament started tomorrow:

Group A: Brazil, Croatia (Croatia should negotiate this section, unless Mexico can sort themselves out finally)

Group B: Spain, Chile (Holland are a bit overrated really, and I know better to judge them on paper since Euro 2012. They also have the biggest tournament bottling striker in world football playing for them. Sneijder seems to have lost a bit too so Robben is their only matchwinner. If they played tomorrow I would fancy Chile to do them in a competitive game, tbh. Holland would progress from most of these sections, but not this imo)

Group C: Colombia, Japan (the huge Japanese diaspora in Brazil will be of assistance, although they may struggle with the Ivorians' physical superiority)

Group D: Italy, Uruguay (fancy Italy to win this section)

Group E: Switzerland, Ecuador (depending on whether Jekyll France or Hyde France shows up).

Group F: Argentina, Bosnia (Bosnia are underrated and should negotiate this section. Nigeria are African champions but I'm not convinced by them).

Group G: Germany, Portugal (very difficult but went with Portugal for second place)

Group H: Belgium, Russia (could see Russia topping it though)

These predictions are based entirely on strength of teams, as I haven't looked into mitigating factors yet e.g. travel distances, varying climates.

These outcomes would see all six CONMEBOL teams meeting each other in the last sixteen and would also ensure a SA semi-finalist as winners of Brazil-Chile and Colombia-Uruguay would meet in the quarters. Interesting.

Edited by Nikica

Repeat ad infinitum.

On penalties, of course.

Group C: Colombia, Japan (the huge Japanese diaspora in Brazil will be of assistance, although they may struggle with the Ivorians' physical superiority)

I've seen Japan play twice recently, against Holland and Belgium, and they were the better team twice. I think the Ivorians will struggle with their nimbleness and technical and tactical superiority. Honda is incredible.

I've seen Japan play twice recently, against Holland and Belgium, and they were the better team twice. I think the Ivorians will struggle with their nimbleness and technical and tactical superiority. Honda is incredible.

That's what I was implying - that the Ivorians best hope of neutralising the Japanese technical and tactical superiority is through sheer physical power. I don't generally go for all that 'bigger, faster, stronger' nonsense but in this case it's quite extreme as the Ivorians are far more physically powerful than the Japanese. Still think Japan will beat them, all being well.

Honda is fantastic and their best player, but the likes of Nagatomo and Kagawa are also excellent. Japan's chances could actually be hurt though by the latter's gross misuse at Man United.

That's what I was implying - that the Ivorians best hope of neutralising the Japanese technical and tactical superiority is through sheer physical power. I don't generally go for all that 'bigger, faster, stronger' nonsense but in this case it's quite extreme as the Ivorians are far more physically powerful than the Japanese. Still think Japan will beat them, all being well.

Honda is fantastic and their best player, but the likes of Nagatomo and Kagawa are also excellent. Japan's chances could actually be hurt though by the latter's gross misuse at Man United.

Okazaki and Hiyotake are pretty good too. All very stylish players.

to be honest i don't see either the US or England making it out of their groups. Italy and Uruguay will win that group, and Germany and Portugal should take the other group.

i think the next world cup will be great for the US, with all the german players (fabian johnson, john anthony brooks, terrence boyd, timmy chandler, danny williams, julian green?) and the young americans (aron johannson, jozy altidore, michael bradley, matt besler, omar gonzalez) will all be in their late 20's primetime years. this year i think we've got some quality, but they are old (dempsey, donovan, beasley) and we don't have a right back. oh well, i think klinnsmann will finally understand the US dilemma after this cup. it's not so much a lack of players or support or anything, it's a lack of talent in an easy conference.

Edited by markjazzbassist

Okazaki and Hiyotake are pretty good too. All very stylish players.

Yeah, they are class acts too. They've always been very technically sound, and hopefully they will progress as it will be a victory for technique over physicality. That's what we need more of in football.

to be honest i don't see either the US or England making it out of their groups. Italy and Uruguay will win that group, and Germany and Portugal should take the other group.

i think the next world cup will be great for the US, with all the german players (fabian johnson, john anthony brooks, terrence boyd, timmy chandler, danny williams, julian green?) and the young americans (aron johannson, jozy altidore, michael bradley, matt besler, omar gonzalez) will all be in their late 20's primetime years. this year i think we've got some quality, but they are old (dempsey, donovan, beasley) and we don't have a right back. oh well, i think klinnsmann will finally understand the US dilemma after this cup. it's not so much a lack of players or support or anything, it's a lack of talent in an easy conference.

Agreed, I think USA might finish bottom actually. Still, they have a chance, unlike those poor cunts Australia. The Aussies had zero luck.

• 2 weeks later...