IGNORED

Dixie Dean - my hero

johnh

Not just a legend but a true sportsman.......Saurez will earn in a week more than Dixie did in his entire lifetime!

I wonder if Dixie ever dived in his life, where did this disgusting habit come from.

People used to be too proud to dive!!

Blue 250

I played in the 1950's, 60's and early 70's. No one dived, if anyone had done even their own team mates (and the ref's) would have laughed at them.

I dont think there's any more to be said about William Ralph Dean that hasn't already been mentioned. A superlative playing individual, the epitome of tough, and a supreme center forward. Arguably the greatest player to be seen in British soccer, and what's more - he was ours.

No better place to pass on some would insist than Goodison Park itself, and a name that nearly all will recognize regardless of club support or indeed ages. A colossus of a player and eternally thankful that most of his immense productivity was for Everton Football Club.

Guest Nikica

He was a fantastic goalscorer and player it seems. A true legend of the game.

I am enjoying your stories John. Would love to hear more from you because - as I am someone with a deep respect for football history - it's always good to hear from those who lived through the days of these wonderful players.

Same as Ronaldo probably. (Cristiano,not the fat one).

I know you don't mean anything nasty by it, but it's disrespectful to call him 'the fat one' - in his prime he was the better player, after all, it's not like he's some nobody compared to Cristiano.

If Ronaldo was playing in this La Liga he'd score as many goals as Cristiano does. He played and scored goals in leagues which were far better defensively i.e. Serie A of the nineties and La Liga itself when it was more equal back in the late 90s and early 00s. Generally speaking, defences all over Europe were far better in Ronaldo's day than they are now. I do believe that Messi and Ronaldo's goal stats are inflated by the weak era they play in.

Edited by Nikica

Generally speaking, defences all over Europe were far better in Ronaldo's day than they are now. I do believe that Messi and Ronaldo's goal stats are inflated by the weak era they play in.

And I don't think either of them would get close to sixty league goals in England.

And I don't think either of them would get close to sixty league goals in England.

The most league goals Ronaldo has scored in Spain is 46, I believe. He could definitely get that in England as he's a better player now than he was in 2009, probably. Also, the PL has declined since he left,

The defending in England has declined just as much as it has everywhere else, imo. As a watcher of both Spanish defending isn't any worse.

I reckon Messi would run riot in England, moreso than in Spain because there's so many dumb, brutish defenders in the PL. Suarez isn't anywhere near as good as he is yet he takes the piss. I think Messi would get 60 league goals easily if he played for Man City. The top nine or ten in the PL is pretty good (although Messi would still score against them), but the bottom half is full of absolute shite and Messi would fill his boots there. With all due respect, it's a myth that defending in England is better than everywhere else, imo. Defending across Europe is terrible these days, and that includes England.

The whole debate doesn't bother me anyway as one of my pet hates is this tendency to rate players by their stats. But this is my view on their goalscoring.

Edited by Nikica

The reason defending has deteriorated is that tackling is being taken out of the game. Platini of UEFA has even stated that this is his objective. You only have to see some of the pathetic decisions from referees who seem to think its a foul every time a player falls over. Dixie Dean scored his 60 goals when tackling bordered on the GBH.

Don't know why this suddenly came to mind. This story was common in Liverpool in the 1930's/40's. Liverpool had a famous goalkeeper named Elisha Scott and the story was that one day Dixie Dean passed him in the street. Dixie Dean nodded and Elisha Scott dived.

• 4 weeks later...

Teeth are too prominent....but I've never seen the point in Madame Taussauds anyway, virtually none of the models look anything like the real people and I've no idea why anyone would want to see waxworks of people in the first place :huh:. Got dragged around a couple of times as a kid....load of rubbish.

And why isn't he wearing an Everton shirt ffs :shaking fist:.

I've never been, is that all there is it to thought? A room of wax mannequins?

Lots of rooms full of them....some of them in "settings" or whatever (at least that's how it was forty+ years ago....may have changed a bit :P). It's one of the biggest tourist attractions in London though, if not the biggest....£30 at the door and £25.80 for kids (and you'll have to queue). Madness.