IGNORED

Boxing - big fights

Can't see another thread so thought this needs one. Please merge this if there is.

Massive fight this weekend. First fight was obviously very controversial and definitely the correct decision by the IBF.

Prediction - Froch will knock him out this time. Probably between round 8-10. Groves definitely belongs at the top but can he fight for 12 rounds with froch not so sure.

Secondly another HUGE fight the following weekend between my favorite boxer of all time Miguel "Junito" Cotto and Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez.

This one is a real super fight.

Prediction = Martinez via Majority decision. Cotto is a natural Welterwight and I think going up to Middleweight May prove too much.

Don't know a huge amount about boxing but I'll probably watch Froch/Groves....opinion seems to be split on who will win (and I have no idea) so should be good. Big fight for James DeGale on the undercard as well because he gets to fight the winner of Froch/Groves I believe.

Don't know a huge amount about boxing but I'll probably watch Froch/Groves....opinion seems to be split on who will win (and I have no idea) so should be good. Big fight for James DeGale on the undercard as well because he gets to fight the winner of Froch/Groves I believe.

You're going to pay or use, ahem, other means?

Guest Nikica

Not really a boxing fan but I remember watching Mayweather's 'comeback' a few years ago and I couldn't believe how good he was. I can't remember who he defeated but it was someone who was rated right at the top of the sport. I only knew about Mayweather because I was a wrestling fan at the time and watched mania where he 'knocked out' Big Show :rofl:

Edit; the guy has probably had more comebacks than Jack Nicholson has had women, so better specify. Think it was this fight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather_vs._Juan_Manuel_Marquez

Edited by Nikica

Not really a boxing fan but I remember watching Mayweather's 'comeback' a few years ago and I couldn't believe how good he was. I can't remember who he defeated but it was someone who was rated right at the top of the sport. I only knew about Mayweather because I was a wrestling fan at the time and watched mania where he 'knocked out' Big Show :rofl:

Edit; the guy has probably had more comebacks than Jack Nicholson has had women, so better specify. Think it was this fight:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floyd_Mayweather_vs._Juan_Manuel_Marquez

He absolutely schooled Marquez in that fight. He is the ultimate tactician, he'll adapt to any fighter, it looked as though Maidana was going to give him his first loss last time out..... But again he adapts to the fighter and takes total control.

Guest Nikica

He absolutely schooled Marquez in that fight. He is the ultimate tactician, he'll adapt to any fighter, it looked as though Maidana was going to give him his first loss last time out..... But again he adapts to the fighter and takes total control.

Yeah he was sensational that night, even a non-boxing fan like me could see his class. A shame about his personality but it's probably part of what makes him so good, a bit like C Ronaldo.

Am I right in saying that as well as being adaptable, he's also a defensive fighter? Martinez was rated right at the top but his inferiority to a newly returned Mayweather was abundantly clear. I really enjoyed the fight so perhaps I should watch more.

Yes....of course I'm going to pay £16.95 to watch something I'm not overly bothered about Mark....what other means are theresmiley-face-whistle-2.gif?

Lol that's why I asked. Thought it'd be weird for you to pay when you're not that into it.

Not really into boxing either but from the interviews I've taken a big dislike to Groves and hope Froch caves his face in.

Yes, he's is the best defensive fighter of all time (sure nobody can argue with that).

You should watch it more. In recent years boxing has come back alive. The Klitchkos dominance of the heavyweight division sort of put everyone off. To the point were no American network would show their fights. The welterweight division has sort of become the heavyweight division

Lol that's why I asked. Thought it'd be weird for you to pay when you're not that into it.

Not really into boxing either but from the interviews I've taken a big dislike to Groves and hope Froch caves his face in.

That's my opinion also.

Guest Nikica

Yes, he's is the best defensive fighter of all time (sure nobody can argue with that).

You should watch it more. In recent years boxing has come back alive. The Klitchkos dominance of the heavyweight division sort of put everyone off. To the point were no American network would show their fights. The welterweight division has sort of become the heavyweight division

I know of those two and the backlash towards them. Tbh the only sport I really care about - in terms of watching - is football. I take a notion for other sports at certain times e.g. the Mosconi Cup at Xmas, Wimbledon some years, the athletics and field hockey at the Olympics, but football is the only sport I have passion for and follow religiously. I should probably follow boxing more as I do enjoy it, you're right. TBH though I wouldn't even know Groves or Froch if they passed me in the street.

Edited by Nikica

Love boxing and can't wait for Saturday night. I don't think anyone can confidently predict the outcome of the fight and that what makes it so exciting. I must admit, the first fight, I wanted Froch to beat him badly because Groves came over as an arrogant so and so to me. However, after their fight, I took a bit of a liking to Groves and when the rematch was announced I wanted him to win. The build up has been so interesting. I think Groves has succedeed again in getting inside Froch's mind. Everything Groves says about him, body language wise, I tend to agree. I think Groves is a much, much better boxer than Froch however you wouldn't want to get in a scrap with Froch because he can take a punch and punches pretty hard. My prediction is Groves to win on points, quite comfortably. Can't wait!

Love boxing and can't wait for Saturday night. I don't think anyone can confidently predict the outcome of the fight and that what makes it so exciting. I must admit, the first fight, I wanted Froch to beat him badly because Groves came over as an arrogant so and so to me. However, after their fight, I took a bit of a liking to Groves and when the rematch was announced I wanted him to win. The build up has been so interesting. I think Groves has succedeed again in getting inside Froch's mind. Everything Groves says about him, body language wise, I tend to agree. I think Groves is a much, much better boxer than Froch however you wouldn't want to get in a scrap with Froch because he can take a punch and punches pretty hard. My prediction is Groves to win on points, quite comfortably. Can't wait!

I just can't look past a Froch stoppage mate. I've watched the fight back over and over and Groves was absolutely goosed. This fight won't go to the scorecards. Can pretty much guarantee that!

I just can't look past a Froch stoppage mate. I've watched the fight back over and over and Groves was absolutely goosed. This fight won't go to the scorecards. Can pretty much guarantee that!

Should be an absolute cracker of a fight and I can't bloody wait!

Guest Nikica

Is amir kahn pissed?

:rofl: Couldn't believe it when he said Groves had been better.

I wasn't engrossed in the fight but it's clear that Froch was the better. Great finish. Looks like Groves couldn't back up his colossal ego.

Edited by Nikica

Pretty spot on with my prediction...:P

It was a close fight but I too had Groves up on points. Never be blinded by the commentators especially Jim Watt. He talks absolute drivel. Always watch a fight with the volume off..... Number one rule!

Thought Froch had him worked out for the most part, and looked the more industrious and dangerous when they came together. Had him pretty well in control.

In the last 2 rounds Groves put a lot more together and was definitely taking those rounds for me.

Can't stand Jim Watt. Bitter, bitter man. Lost all respect for him during a couple of Hatton fights, where he just seemed to be so jealous of the fact that these fellas are making mega bucks doing what he did for a pittance.

Never be blinded by the commentators especially Jim Watt. He talks absolute drivel. Always watch a fight with the volume off..... Number one rule!

Quite the opposite bar Paulie they where constantly talking Groves up, Froch won every round bar two.

Watt just does his usual trick of talking absolute shite throughout a fight then saying he knew said person would win, delusional old tit.

Love the boxing me!

Thought Froch would win tonight. But wouldn't have been overly shocked if groves won.

Froch is a true champ. A man of great dignity, determination and a chin of granite.

I said years ago that Groves will be a champ. But he needs to stop blowing his own dick and get back on it.

I think De Gale and Groves will be a long running UK rivalry. Especially once Froch retires and leaves them to it.

Don't watch as much boxing as I used to. Not since frank Warren started box nation and pretty much took a load of fights off sky. Just can't be arsed paying yet another subscription fee on top of the others.

Quite the opposite bar Paulie they where constantly talking Groves up, Froch won every round bar two.

Watt just does his usual trick of talking absolute shite throughout a fight then saying he knew said person would win, delusional old tit.

Watch it again. Listen to Watt. All he did was talk how froch was in control. To the point were they were mocking Khan (who seen in correctly). The only time they talked Groves up was in round 7 & 8. A whole world of difference to the first fight when Watt was right up Groves arse. Rightly at some point but it was well over the top!

How he is still a pundit I don't know.

Edited by MiguelCotto

I thought groves was level with froch, froch was throwing the majority of punches but they weren't scoring.

To me groves plan was working, it just so happened he got caught by a peach of a punch.

Jim watt came across as an old prick who just feels he needs to be right all the time.

Trouble with groves's plan was it didn't seem to include hurting froch, you are playing with fire trying to box the distance against him, which is what happened, he got burnt. Froch is tough and going for a points victory was groves's plan, but unfortunately it is a risk if you get hit by that punch!

I thought groves was level with froch, froch was throwing the majority of punches but they weren't scoring.

To me groves plan was working, it just so happened he got caught by a peach of a punch.

Jim watt came across as an old prick who just feels he needs to be right all the time.

Yep, I have no idea what people saw in froch's work. The only difference being he held the centre of the ring. Groves was landing the better shots for me.

You could actually see that punch coming though. It was only a matter of time and Groves got well and truly humbled.

Groves will be better for that fight, he's a better boxer than froch, just not as strong.

Would like to see him fight degale next and knock him all over the ring. Really can't stand that arrogant prick. He will win a world title I'm sure.