IGNORED

Roberto on ESPN

Roberto is one of the commentators for American TV for the World Cup. He's been doing a fantastic job, interesting note when he was talking about how England need some creativity, Michael Ballack said "how about Ross Barkley" and looked Roberto's way with a little twinkle in his eye.

Love that our manager is getting his due from a former world beater.

Greg O'Keeffe again...

Believe #Martinez is getting rave reviews from US ESPN viewers for the quality and intelligence of his analysis of #WC2014 games #GHAvsUSA

he and michael ballack are a great partnership. roberto was his usual positive self when Pepe got the red card "well it is a great opportunity for ricardo costa to prove himself"

I enjoy listening to Ballack myself. I like that he won't just agree with the other pundits to keep the peace, if he thinks the others are chatting shit he'll say so.

I appreciated that about Dixon this tournament, kept challenging / arguing with Viera about the amount of cheating in the game. When Viera said "its part of the game" Dixon ripped Viera apart, stating it was his responsibility with his role at City, and others like them, to ensure this lack of sportsmanship is eradicated.

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently he had a good pairing with Van Nistelrooy in the studio, Ruud seemed to learn a lot from Roberto's analysis and tactical knowledge, he was really taking a lot in as he embarks on his own coaching career. I read a Q&A with one of the ESPN producers and she said she'd learned loads from Roberto as well. Top man.

For me it's a bit awkward listening to Ruud, just because he's constantly saying "we/us/our" whenever the subject of the Dutch team comes up. "We did this," "We didn't do that," "Here's what our manager is going to say at halftime"...I understand that he's not a professional broadcaster and wasn't brought into the studio to be objective, but American viewers are used to the talking heads in the studios showing at least a veneer of detachment from the proceedings, and even the other former internationals like Ballack and Gilberto Silva have usually managed to keep their discussions of their own national teams on a third-party "Germany/Brazil/they/them" level in front of the camera.