IGNORED

Fan banned from all Everton matches for "homophobic and racist" tweets

Louis

Matt you are getting a warning point if you do that again, I'm sure Mike will back me up!

This has turned into a very interesting debate, and really interesting to see the different experiences across the globe. I know what parts of the states can be like, but had no idea what Australia and the parts of Europe Matts lived in were like in terms of racism.

I have family in Florida and they all hate Obama, for one reason only! Lovely people, very family orientated, but very very racist. Quite sad really.

Maybe I should say prejudice, and I think thats the right word rather than racist. For me theres a fine line between the 2 - racism is active hatred / discrimination, prejudice is a feeling/believe that is kept to themselves.

Also, Steve...

9c460b77851e96b38ffa3ea39ca16e4adda4db7c

I'll keep that in mind :P

And before you get your ginger knickers in a twist, Im a carrier :(

I suffered from both of those too :lol:.

That's three of us then lads. All the pisstaking made me who I am today though, try to hurt my feelings now, you can't, skins as thick as an Elephants kneecap. The worst thing is when one of ours dyes their hair in denial. Be proud of who you are for fuck sake! Turned into a good discussion this. :)

Maybe I should say prejudice, and I think thats the right word rather than racist. For me theres a fine line between the 2 - racism is active hatred / discrimination, prejudice is a feeling/believe that is kept to themselves.

Also, Steve...

9c460b77851e96b38ffa3ea39ca16e4adda4db7c

I'll keep that in mind :P

And before you get your ginger knickers in a twist, Im a carrier :(

Funny as fuck that (but true)

I don't mean I want it to be censored. Quite the contrary. I want people to stop being ignorant of the full weight that word carries. I want people to be more enlightened as to just how racist they are (or how racist we all are), and for that to be confronted publicly. I don't like the idea of banning the usage of a word. I would rather have legitimate work be done to show people the realities of racism. "Nigger", the word, is only a small part of that. Children in schools should learn about not just the racism of the past--this is perhaps why so many people seem to think we are in a post-racial society, or pretend that race doesn't matter any more. If high school students were taught about just how pervasive and institutionalized racism (and classism and homophobia) are in our world today, we would probably be less afraid to confront just how fucked up our families, cities, states, and countries are in this sense. People would likely then feel legitimate shame in using racist, homophobic or classist terms to put down others (or themselves, in many cases).

So, in short, no amount of slogans, restrictions on word usage or punitive measures will eliminate racism, if people fail to see the real racism that exists everywhere and not just in instances of some jerk getting caught calling someone a nigger. It will take real effort and real introspection to not just out the racists, but to eliminate racist understandings of the world.

My apologies for misunderstanding; I definitely agree with this.

I hate that too!

Or when someone takes the piss and someone else goes oh no he isn't really ginger, thinking they are being helpful! Fuck off, I'm used to it.

Being a ginger kid in school is real oppression

Also, we all know how hot gingers are!

Amy Adams, Sarah Rafferty, Lana Del Rey, Chris Evans. Hmm.

Back to the serious stuff.

Edited by StevO