IGNORED

Fan banned from all Everton matches for "homophobic and racist" tweets

Louis

No you said there's a "positive atmosphere". Obviously never been. All sorts get said. Every game! and if you're in the gwladys god help you if you think that's bad

Exactly. Rember when michael duberry was being racially abused once and started doing monkey moves. The crowd was actually laughing back.

Very strange crowd we have in the gwlady's I do believe that half of these people don't understand racism and shout out shit for approval.

I do not see how any one can see the "grass" as being a bad guy here, it almost makes the racist prick a victim! I'm shocked to be honest, Cotto you just sound like the kind of prick at school who would kick off at someone for answering a question right. And hate do gooders? What kind of shitty world do you live in where you prefer people who do bad to people who do good.

Worried about you lad.

I don't think he's a victim. I think the club have over reacted because of PR over a well known fan and loads of do-gooders jumping on the racism bandwagon. I.e "I'm great I stood up to racism", when really they couldn't give a fuck. Do you really think if it was another fan they.'d have been banned from the game.... Would they shite. It's a massive publicity stunt, because of all these horrible snides.

I don't like do gooders mate. There's a certain type of do-gooder, that just loves to see others in trouble. They thrive on it and see themselves as better than others. Snobs mate and the type who will have taken their time to complain. Not because they like Ric Wee or because they are massively against racism but because they love to see others in trouble.

Edited by MiguelCotto

All these horrible snides?

What constitutes a horrible snide? Not racist or homophobes I guess? Was the lad making the tweets not a horrible snide too? Or is it ok coz he was just having a laugh so no one should be offended?

If the lad didn't want to get in shit he shouldn't have started spouting crap like that. People have been arrested for stuff they say on the internet before, and he copied Everton into a tweet. He brought it on himself, he made the tweets, Everton claim to be a fair and honourable club, so they punished him. All his own fault lad. Don't blame anyone for grassing him up, if he didn't do it in the first place it wouldn't have happened. If you can't see that you need to get to spec savers.

Exactly it's a police trolling matter so let them deal with it (Looks like it's going that way anyway as the lads thick enough to have contacted all the papers and thinks he's within his rights to complain - oh dear).

The same thing happened with that Dave Sibson. I think he referred to Saha being French and lazy? And got a ban for that because someone around him complained. I think he was even labelled racist at first. It's that type of person who is the snide, the person who took their time to snitch on him. Things get said in the heat of the moment and that certainly didn't warrant a ban.

I agree the comments this time are more serious. But I still maintain if it was between two ordinary fans Everton wouldn't have got involved.

Edited by MiguelCotto

Actually agree that the Dave Sibson thing was blown out of proportion, and it could be argued it wasnt a racist comment at all. But if you're offended by it, are you just supposed to sit back? Theres no mention where the "grass" (hate the word, feel like im 12 again) didnt try to speak to him directly beforehand and that reporting him was a last resort.

Anyway, the comments here arent even close to being the same scale.

If it's a publicity stunt why did they put, "strictly confidential, not for publication" on the letter?

I'm sure all those who complained would have received some sort of acknowledgement. I still maintain that the club only acted because of who the fan was and his "celebrity" status amongst Evertonians.

I once heard a fella shout "that's the three laziest niggers I've ever seen" when we had Saha, Yak and Vic on the pitch at the same time. Well out of order, I was a bit younger then, but felt bad for not saying anything. There is no place for racism or homophobia at the match, on the net or in society.

Bored of this now anyway, I'm with the club on a job well done. Anyone who knows me will know it's not often I agree with the club.

I once heard a fella shout "that's the three laziest niggers I've ever seen" when we had Saha, Yak and Vic on the pitch at the same time. Well out of order, I was a bit younger then, but felt bad for not saying anything. There is no place for racism or homophobia at the match, on the net or in society.

Bored of this now anyway, I'm with the club on a job well done. Anyone who knows me will know it's not often I agree with the club.

Didnt really need to type the word though did ya?

Didnt really need to type the word though did ya?

Actually annoys the hell out of me when papers say "the n word" or "n****r". Everybody knows what it means and says it in their head so what's the problem with writing it down? You're not going to reduce racial abuse by getting all coy about it.

Actually annoys the hell out of me when papers say "the n word" or "n****r". Everybody knows what it means and says it in their head so what's the problem with writing it down? You're not going to reduce racial abuse by getting all coy about it.

It's all about getting an easy shot at gaining the moral high ground.

So if everyeveryone knows what was said theres no reason to say it is there.

Edited by Brett Angel

Sorry but I don't see the need to censor it from anyone.

I'm with StevO here. Softening someone's racist remarks so as not to offend or shock people runs counter to the reason these things deserve to be made public.

Let people read the word "nigger." Let them be offended. Let them be repulsed. Make sure they can't simply decry racism, while remaining ignorant of the full force of it. To censor someone's remarks is to do them a service. It also shows less a commitment to being anti-racist than to just preserving the status quo.

I once heard a fella shout "that's the three laziest niggers I've ever seen" when we had Saha, Yak and Vic on the pitch at the same time. Well out of order, I was a bit younger then, but felt bad for not saying anything.

This is the point I tried to make earlier. In a sense, we're cowards when we don't stand up against things that are wrong, and it does get to your conscience later. And screw the above comments against "do-gooders". While there are holier-than-thou types around, it takes guts to stand up for some things.

Thing is it's the snobs who usually do the cowardly thing... They pass the buck by going to authority rather than confronting it. I've seen many Scousers arguing at the game. One fella, big bloke was kicking off on a teenager because he'd stood on his foot. Pushing him round. None of the snobs round me got involved it was what I'd call working class lads who stood in and stopped it.

Hey, it works all ways. When I lived in England, we lived on a council estate but I wore a suit every day as I took the train to London to work. No one on the train or platform would speak to me because of where I lived (raw snobbery), but no one on the estate would talk to us because I wore a suit to work (raw inverse snobbery). Whether it's snobbery or inverse snobbery, we should stand up against it.

During that time, we couldn't afford a car, so I cycled every day to the railway station. When it was chucking it down with rain, I took a bus. On one such occasion, I sat next to a white guy whom I had seen before but didn't really know. At the next stop, a West Indian lady got on the bus. The guy smiled and said "hello" to her and then leaned over to me and called her "a filthy n****r". I got off the bus in disgust and walked to the station in the rain. In retrospect, maybe I should have shamed him by loudly saying something. I'm sure, like me, you can recall many incidents along these lines.

The point is that discrimination, bigotry, and snobbery come in many shapes and sizes. It's found across all social groups, so it's wrong to suggest it "depends what background you're from". Unfortunately, it's part of human nature, so we're all guilty of it in one form or another as well as subject to it. I couldn't give a toss a person's background: When something is wrong, it's wrong, and we should take a personal stand against it.

Honestly, in this case I think the reaction to the fan's comments were a bit OTT. They should have been firm, yes, but a lifetime ban is extreme. Again, though, I would stress that those reading his tweet should have confronted him, no matter how much of a bully he might be. I've done this a few times, and you'd be surprised how quick some people are to back down and apologize.

PS - I reread the post, and it's a season-long ban. That's much more appropriate.

Edited by Cornish Steve

I support the club actions in this case - the 'tweets' were in a public sphere to a well known fan with a large following. Perhaps more weight with the club @evertonfc tagged prompted them to act. I don't think Ric Wee made much of it, just that the PR team at Everton follow Ric Wee on twitter, and would have seen the abuse directed to him. I think if private

That being said, I think people should grow a pair and stop being so precious. We had a case here in Australia where a 100kg 1.94m footballer was called an 'ape' by a 13 year old supporter. He said she really hurt her feelings and dragged her through the national media cycle for a week or so, prompting an apology by the club, and the fan herself. Best response I've seen to racism is Dani Alves and the banana - class.

Wouldn't call him a super fan... Just happened to try watch a match at the right/wrong time and tweet about it... A good overall PR exercise by the club - Ric Wee is hardly down an out or plucked from obscurity, - a lawyer who is a partner in his own law firm and also does public speaking in Malaysia, so an eloquent supporter at that.

I'm with StevO here. Softening someone's racist remarks so as not to offend or shock people runs counter to the reason these things deserve to be made public.

Let people read the word "nigger." Let them be offended. Let them be repulsed. Make sure they can't simply decry racism, while remaining ignorant of the full force of it. To censor someone's remarks is to do them a service. It also shows less a commitment to being anti-racist than to just preserving the status quo

Being from the United States, "nigger" is an extremely hateful term when used by non-blacks, however many blacks use the word as a term of endearment with their family, friends...etc.

I'm curious, is the word used often in the UK, as it is in the USA? I was always led to believe that the word spawned from American slavery centuries ago.

Being from the United States, "nigger" is an extremely hateful term when used by non-blacks, however many blacks use the word as a term of endearment with their family, friends...etc.

I'm curious, is the word used often in the UK, as it is in the USA? I was always led to believe that the word spawned from American slavery centuries ago.

If you use that word "at all" in Britain expect a major backlash from everybody, white, black etc. you just can't use that word here.

Bullshit, it's right and wrong. Act like you belong in the gutter, you stay there. My Mum and Dad are from a poor/rough back ground, they don't act like this though. It's mentality, not back ground.

Think you totally missed the point there?

I was saying it depends what background you come from in terms off actually standing up to it and confronting people.