IGNORED

Fan banned from all Everton matches for "homophobic and racist" tweets

Louis

What about between blacks? Or is it just condemned by all? Interesting, if so.

When I lived in London I never heard it spoken between black people, but that was twenty years ago and where I live now is rural and virtually exclusively white.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if had caught on though in the big cities now though, kids will see it on music vids etc and follow the American lead.

Think you totally missed the point there?

I was saying it depends what background you come from in terms off actually standing up to it and confronting people.

Not missing the point at all, it's still irrelevant of background. Example, Piers Morgan, posh kid, silver spoon, bit of a prick, possibly the type to stand up and confront. Roy Keane, quite the opposite upbringing, also the type to confront. You can't just stereotype people to suit your argument.

When I lived in London I never heard it spoken between black people, but that was twenty years ago and where I live now is rural and virtually exclusively white.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if had caught on though in the big cities now though, kids will see it on music vids etc and follow the American lead.

That's very interesting. The school I attended was roughly 85% black, and I heard it spoken between them often. I still hear it in the grocery stores or other public places. It used to freak me out, but now I'm not so worried about.

If you get to know someone in the black "community" then it's not unlikely to hear a white person call a black person "my nigga," and vice versa, as a term of endearment. I've never really felt comfortable saying it myself, but it's almost an honor to be in the "inner circle."

That said, most whites who use it are using it as a racial slur and racism is very much alive where I'm located.

I have a friend from South Africa, he doesn't find it offensive unless it's meant offensive. It's all in context.

John Terry calling Anton Ferdinand a black bastard. Which part is more offensive? Black or bastard? Context is always key to how a word or phrase is used.

That's very interesting. The school I attended was roughly 85% black, and I heard it spoken between them often. I still hear it in the grocery stores or other public places. It used to freak me out, but now I'm not so worried about.

If you get to know someone in the black "community" then it's not unlikely to hear a white person call a black person "my nigga," and vice versa, as a term of endearment. I've never really felt comfortable saying it myself, but it's almost an honor to be in the "inner circle."

That said, most whites who use it are using it as a racial slur and racism is very much alive where I'm located.

Ive heard it all over Europe where Ive lived; Barcelona, Holland, Switzerland, Hungary, England - but its been rare when its been used in its traditional derogatory sense. More often that not. its "banter" for want of a better phrase.

I have more of a problem with how the word is intended, that it actually being used.

Edited by Matt

Yeah; as StevO said, context is everything. eg you need to be in the "inner circle" on here (which is most definitely open to everyone and not "clique" based) before Marco likes you enough to call you a cunt :D.

Yeah; as StevO said, context is everything. eg you need to be in the "inner circle" on here (which is most definitely open to everyone and not "clique" based) before Marco likes you enough to call you a cunt :D.

I think I've been here for about 9 years now, Marco still hasn't called me a cunt (but we are neighbours,ish)! I'll never be allowed in the clique.

If I mention Landon Donovan enough I have a feeling I'll get the "cunt" treatment from Marco.

Fingers crossed.

Back more seriously; I used to spend quite a lot of my time playing cards online, randomly being put on the same table as three people from around the world and was always amazed at the level of the use of "nigga" (correct spelling being censored) as a definite insult by American opponents when they didn't like how someone else was playing. Didn't seem to matter if the people they were playing were actually black or not, was just used as a catch all insult.

Back more seriously; I used to spend quite a lot of my time playing cards online, randomly being put on the same table as three people from around the world and was always amazed at the level of the use of "nigga" (correct spelling being censored) as a definite insult by American opponents when they didn't like how someone else was playing. Didn't seem to matter if the people they were playing were actually black or not, was just used as a catch all insult.

This is very, very common. The word really has less to do with race now and more so with ignorance. A girl I used to date(ashamed) used to call everyone a "nigger" while she was driving on the road, mainly if they were driving erratically.

I remember talking to one of my black friends(don't worry, I was in the inner circle), and we were talking about calling whites "crackers," "honkies," et al, and I remember him saying the worst thing you can actually call a white person is a "racist." That always gave me a good laugh.

Being from the United States, "nigger" is an extremely hateful term when used by non-blacks, however many blacks use the word as a term of endearment with their family, friends...etc.

I'm curious, is the word used often in the UK, as it is in the USA? I was always led to believe that the word spawned from American slavery centuries ago.

I'm from the northeast US, and I can't really comment on UK usage of the term. I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be used at all in speech, even as a term of endearment, because of its history as a form of oppression. I feel that it should be used only to expose and denounce racism and that it shouldn't be shied away from in those cases. People need to see just how negative and hateful it is.

Not arsed about this thread now, it's boring and things will never change. Blacks call themselves n*****s but whites can't cause it's classed as racist. What ever happened to freedom of speech then.

You can print as many "kick it out" t-shirts ya want things won't change. Some people are just narrow minded people and some just look for the shock factor.

We are all the same it's just that they can run faster but we can swim. (Tongue in cheek) please don't take this post seriously.

People need to lighten up!!!!

Edited by Brett Angel

I don't think it's a case of just lightening up when it comes to racism. The world has treated other races terribly over the years. As a White Englishman I'm quite possibly the least oppressed category. But anyone who may have witnessed the Nazi regime, Aparthide or the slave trade would be a bit insulted to just lighten up.

I know you don't mean any offence by it, but I think it's more serious than that.

Not arsed about this thread now, it's boring and things will never change. Blacks call themselves n*****s but whites can't cause it's classed as racist. What ever happened to freedom of speech then.

You can print as many "kick it out" t-shirts ya want things won't change. Some people are just narrow minded people and some just look for the shock factor.

We are all the same it's just that they can run faster but we can swim. (Tongue in cheek) please don't take this post seriously.

People need to lighten up!!!!

Nobody's arguing about it, it's become an interesting discussion so no need to lighten up. If you're bored by it don't read it.

I'm from the northeast US, and I can't really comment on UK usage of the term. I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be used at all in speech, even as a term of endearment, because of its history as a form of oppression. I feel that it should be used only to expose and denounce racism and that it shouldn't be shied away from in those cases. People need to see just how negative and hateful it is.

I would agree with you except I believe that making people afraid of the word is the worst route to take. It should just be accepted that it is used. If we try to make it a dirty word then it will continue to be used by dirty people to insult others.

Prime example is Alves eating the banana. Obviously, that was in reference to being called a monkey, but the principle is the same. He made light of the situation and that fan looked like a fool. Then a mini movement started where more footballers came out with pictures with bananas (sounds ludicrous when said aloud), shaming that individual more. We need more instances like that. When folks let slurs get the best of them then the racist is winning.

However, I'm not sure what the banana equivalent to "nigger" is; it's a trickier word.

I'm assuming that most of us are white males on here. We've had it so good in regards to the oppression of other races and the other sex.

No question; being lucky enough to be born in the time and place that I was (allied with the fact that my dad's sperm containing me beat the tens of millions of others in the first big race) never ceases to amaze me. Have to appreciate what a good hand I've been dealt, even (maybe especially) in difficult times.

I'm with you Mike. This country isn't perfect, but there are plenty worse places and worse situations to be I. Than the one I've been lucky enough to find myself in.

Saying that, I was very ginger as a kid (faded to brown in my late teens) and had goofy teeth (orthodontist sorted that out) so it wasn't all plain sailing!

I'm with you Mike. This country isn't perfect, but there are plenty worse places and worse situations to be I. Than the one I've been lucky enough to find myself in.

Saying that, I was very ginger as a kid (faded to brown in my late teens) and had goofy teeth (orthodontist sorted that out) so it wasn't all plain sailing!

I suffered from both of those too :lol:.

This is very, very common. The word really has less to do with race now and more so with ignorance. A girl I used to date(ashamed) used to call everyone a "nigger" while she was driving on the road, mainly if they were driving erratically.

Tonka - Funny... here in Australia we call those people "Bl**dy asian lady/aunty/old uncle" ... my wife is fond of the term (She is also asian btw).

I would agree with you except I believe that making people afraid of the word is the worst route to take. It should just be accepted that it is used. If we try to make it a dirty word then it will continue to be used by dirty people to insult others.

I don't mean I want it to be censored. Quite the contrary. I want people to stop being ignorant of the full weight that word carries. I want people to be more enlightened as to just how racist they are (or how racist we all are), and for that to be confronted publicly. I don't like the idea of banning the usage of a word. I would rather have legitimate work be done to show people the realities of racism. "Nigger", the word, is only a small part of that. Children in schools should learn about not just the racism of the past--this is perhaps why so many people seem to think we are in a post-racial society, or pretend that race doesn't matter any more. If high school students were taught about just how pervasive and institutionalized racism (and classism and homophobia) are in our world today, we would probably be less afraid to confront just how fucked up our families, cities, states, and countries are in this sense. People would likely then feel legitimate shame in using racist, homophobic or classist terms to put down others (or themselves, in many cases).

So, in short, no amount of slogans, restrictions on word usage or punitive measures will eliminate racism, if people fail to see the real racism that exists everywhere and not just in instances of some jerk getting caught calling someone a nigger. It will take real effort and real introspection to not just out the racists, but to eliminate racist understandings of the world.

:o

don-t-keep-calm-run-it-s-a-ginger.png

Matt you are getting a warning point if you do that again, I'm sure Mike will back me up!

This has turned into a very interesting debate, and really interesting to see the different experiences across the globe. I know what parts of the states can be like, but had no idea what Australia and the parts of Europe Matts lived in were like in terms of racism.

I have family in Florida and they all hate Obama, for one reason only! Lovely people, very family orientated, but very very racist. Quite sad really.