IGNORED

One for our American members

rubecula

A few questions for the American members of our happy little forum :)

What got you into Football?

What American sports do you enjoy?

Will football (soccer) finally become a major thing in USA after the exploits of this world cup, in your own opinion?

Which are the most popular EPL teams in USA (Or Canada for that matter)?

And finally I want to make a statement. I just can not get along with American sports, not that I haven't tried. But they always leave me a little 'cold'. This is not a criticism, just that it is why I am asking the questions. Baseball ... I have played it and that is ok, but watching it .... No I can't. Basketball ... absolutely hate it. Grid Iron is ok with a beer or five inside me when there is nothing else to watch .... apart from all the rest breaks, which has me falling asleep. Ice Hockey? No not my cup of tea either. and as for Lacrosse ... never ever seen it.

Basically I think it all comes down to a mind set, and what you are used to. So my admiration for those of you who have taken the mantle of supporting our team despite being raised on a diet of Grits, Clam Chowder and Baseball.

Will football (soccer) finally become a major thing in USA after the exploits of this world cup, in your own opinion?

And finally I want to make a statement. I just can not get along with American sports, not that I haven't tried. But they always leave me a little 'cold'. This is not a criticism, just that it is why I am asking the questions. Baseball ... I have played it and that is ok, but watching it .... No I can't. Basketball ... absolutely hate it. Grid Iron is ok with a beer or five inside me when there is nothing else to watch .... apart from all the rest breaks, which has me falling asleep. Ice Hockey? No not my cup of tea either. and as for Lacrosse ... never ever seen it.

Basically I think it all comes down to a mind set, and what you are used to. So my admiration for those of you who have taken the mantle of supporting our team despite being raised on a diet of Grits, Clam Chowder and Baseball.

I got into soccer somewhat by luck, since my mom took me and my two brothers to Mexico when I was 6 years old. It was supposed to be a 3 week vacation in the summer but when we arrived in the little town we were staying (San Miguel de Allende), she fell in love and did some re-arranging of the schedule and we stayed for the whole year. And over the next 9 years, I alternated going back and forth between Mexico and the USA. My first professional sports match was in the mexican professional leagues (PUMAS of UNAM...and still one of my favorite teams). At that time, late 70s/early 80s soccer was on one of its many "resurgences" in the US, and the NASL professional league was in full swing (recall that Pele and Beckenbauer played for the NY Cosmos) and along with this was a huge establishment of youth soccer leagues all over urban/suburban areas. All my friends growing up played soccer in the fall/spring and youth league baseball in the summer and basketball in the winter. Many were multisport athletes (which is perhaps why the USA produces fine goalkeepers). I wasn't. I sucked at American football, baseball, and basketball. I played a little youth hockey but that's Canada's sport and the youth hockey leagues were few and far between and largely restricted to Northern states.

I don't watch too many American sports, but I support any team from Chicago, my home city...I will dutifully watch the superbowl and playoff (American) football but the actual ratio of action to stopped play is abysmal and I get impatient with it. I find baseball very boring but will watch a game or two when and if the Chicago Cubs are doing well.

I actually enjoy watching basketball and this is due to Michael Jordan joining the Chicago Bulls and winning 6 championships. I recall getting a call from my friend back when we were in college. Both of us grew up playing soccer, but he's like "dude, you gotta see this guy Michael Jordan...he's fucking amazing..." and we checked out a game at the Chicago Stadium and I was hooked. So I still watch basketball, largely due to the inertia of Jordan's influence on me. The atheleticism in that sport is ridiculously high. And I will watch any hockey game, as that is also a wicked cool sport.

I don't follow the MLS as much as I should but the big teams are basically the ones with the stars: LA Galaxy and more recently the NY Red Bulls. The best supported teams are Seattle Sounders, Portland Timbers and Sporting KC, with frenzied fans that give me lots of hope for the league.

Soccer is certainly on the up-and-up in the USA, but the country is large enough both spatially and demographically that it will continue to expand but not at the expense of other sports. But we have seen other resurgences (mid-70s/early 80s; then again in the early 90s when we hosted the WC...only for it to wane a bit). I don't see pro soccer replacing pro football or baseball ever, but given the concussion syndrome in pro football, I do see some parents pushing their kids into soccer over american football. But the vast majority of these kids will play soccer + baseball + other sports, in my view. We will never be a unified soccer-crazed nation the way we are with baseball or football (my opinion of course). And in some ways, this will never happen because some folks will always view soccer as "un-American"--that trite shibboleth that is trotted out far too often without a substantive thought behind it.

(Subsequently, my GF is the manager of the USA women's national team in rugby, and according to her, rugby is one of the fastest growing youth sports in the USA...I need to snopes that one).

Edited by verreauxi

Love the country, going for the second consecutive year in October, and my 14th visit I think.

But, last year in Disney I saw quite a few American fellas with "football" t shirts on. By that I mean a t shirt with football just written across the front of it. It almost, in one gesture, symbolised the view on sports. These guys were football fans, irrelevant of their team they seem just as affiliated with the game as they are their team. I might be stereotyping a little here, but just how it seems. Asks guy who he supports he may tell you a few teams he likes. Ask me, I'm an Evetonian. One answer. I can't imagine with the whole franchise set ups you get the same die hard commitment we have to our football teams.

Sorry to go away from the basis of the thread.

Well, I played in the youth leagues as a kid, probably starting around 9. My mom asked me if I wanted to play anymore sports (I was already in American football and baseball), and I said soccer because I had a friend playing it. I remember the first year I played, I didn't know what I was doing, and I was a little bit behind the other kids, but I was always a fast learner. I just happened to be placed on the best team in our area, which ended up going to State championships the first year, and that was a big deal to me even though we were so young (didn't play too much then). I started out as a fullback. The next year I moved to a different squad and took on the role of an attacking mid, and I absolutely fell in love with the duties I was given. I got better, and my teammates started to rely on me more. I really enjoyed that responsibility and did that for a few years. I lacked technical ability my first couple of years, but I was able to make up for that lack of skill by using speed; I did work hard though, especially on my passing technique, and eventually I caught up and surpassed most of my teammates. However, at the time, I always wanted to be a quarterback in American football as they are more respected in the USA. Soccer was still considered a "weak" sport, mainly because folks didn't understand it; and being in the southern USA, American football rules. I quit soccer to concentrate on that when I was about 14, which was a huge mistake when I look back on it. I never really reached the size that an American football player needs to reach, as I only stand at 5'11".

Just to add to that, I picked up FIFA 06 and that's when I fell in love again. I started learning more about all the leagues and discovered Ronaldinho. I didn't grow up around soccer-loving friends or family; there was really no culture for it here. A couple of my friends that I met later were from Ipswich town, and so we always used PL teams. I just had the most fun playing with Everton, saw Howard was American, and have been hooked since.

American Football sometimes, though soccer has take over my life. I find baseball dreadfully boring, and I'll watch basketball on rare occasion. I really know nothing about hockey; that's a northern thing really.

I think it's already become a major sport, and the number of folks watching it has grown exponentially. I see this on Facebook, sports bars, work, etc. It will probably be overshadowed by American football for a long time though. I can see the decline of other sports though. People are becoming disenchanted with baseball and basketball it feels like, but American Football has a HUGE following here.

Manchester United and Arsenal. I had heard of ManU before really watching soccer, and I meet a lot of folks who seemed to be Arsenal fans. Chelsea has a good few followers as well, but really just recently it seems.

Really always have been. It was the first sport I was ever paying, both organized and unorganized and continued to play for club and school for many years. I think some if it has to do with my dad's family being from Spain. He's enough generations removed that he doesn't really speak spanish or visit Spain often, but it meant I grew up in a house where soccer was the sport. It wasn't strange for me to enjoy watching it or playing it; it was what I was already surrounded by. Soccer was incredibly popular as a youth sport, so it wasn't hard for me to find other people to play with either.

Soccer is easily the sport I most enjoy, but I follow a decent amount of other things. I enjoy watching basketball and baseball. These wouldn't be American sports, but I played competitive tennis and squash as well. Absolutely hate american football.

It's already relatively successful. I think that's partially due more to the success of TV deals than anything else. Just this year I know many more people watching EPL games after NBC picked them up. It won't ever surpass american football, but as the MLS gets better its popularity will continue to increase. It's often seen as a kids sport, but as others have said those kids then usually go on to be multi-sport athletes or switch to something else. Once soccer gains a little bit more legitimacy that will happen less and then the youth infrastructure will already be in place.

Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool. Some Arsenal as well.

This is not EPL, but I see a lot Barca around too.

Growing up in a Latino household, football (and wrestling out of all things) have been the two biggest sports here in my house. I can't really tell you what got me into football though. I just remember being 5 or 6 years old and watching Brazil fall to France and crying as I fell in love with the way Brazil played the game (joga bonito) and was rooting my little heart out for them. Little did I know that my parents had video of me as a toddler being in front of the TV watching Brazil play in the 94 World Cup [guess even as a baby, I just knew football was the best sport ;)]. I'm also a big Galaxy fan from the MLS and my family and I have always enjoyed catching a game live (my mom is the biggest fan in our home besides myself, dad and brother, not so much)

We didn't really have cable and internet live feeds weren't really a thing growing up so I did not get into the EPL at all until I was a teenager. My buddies would always be talking about "Arsenal, Chelsea, Man United" and I honestly didn't have a clue who those teams were. We did however go to each other's homes to either watch a game or play some FIFA. First time I watched Everton play was the FA Cup final against Chelsea back in 09 and I found myself rooting for "the other team" since all my friends thought Chelsea had it in the bag. I kind of kept up with Everton from then on until it was announced that my 2nd favorite player of all time (Landon Donovan) was going on loan to "that same other team" aka Everton. I would wake up early in the dawn of day at times to watch them play, and the rest is history.

I am a big Lakers fan (NBA). I enjoy going to live baseball games (Dodgers in specific) but can't really watch it on TV. I like watching american football (NFL) although I definitely understand that commercials and the stop of play can get aggravating (one play = 8 seconds, 30 seconds to call a play, rinse and repeat). I have begun getting into hockey (NHL) in college although I can't say I'm a fan, rather watch that than baseball though.

An interesting issue that I have heard people bring up is the lack of commercials. I love the fact that we get 45 minutes straight of action per half but advertisers do not. However I believe I read somewhere that the MLS had already surpassed the NBA on average attendance so it is definitely growing. Our next step is to make football more viable to the working class as many kids grow up playing it, but from what I have heard, it is quite expensive to pay for academies and join teams in order to take that next step and continue improving.

My closest friends are Arsenal, Chelsea and Man United fans. Those are the general big teams here. Funny enough, none of my friends are Liverpool fans, that's good to know. Something that got on my nerves however was that my friends would ask me, "Why are you an Everton fan" as we aren't title contenders (yet). After this season however, those questions stopped and they give me props now for rooting for "a team that can compete and beat anyone" as one of them said. Happy to see that we have removed the "punching above our weight" perception they had of Everton :)

• 2 weeks later...

New member..I'll respond.

I didn't grow up playing soccer. I played baseball, basketball and American football...baseball was my best and my favorite sport. I watch and attend games regularly here in all 3 of those sports. Those who know me would definitely say I'm a huge sports fan, and particularly for the teams from my home town.

l'm from Houston, and intensely proud of it. My family has been in Houston for 5 generations now (goes back to Dublin, Ireland on both sides of my family -- but that's another story), including my kids. If you slap Houston on a jersey, I will root for it! So when the Dynamo came to town, that increased my interest in following soccer...that the Dynamo were league champs early on helped even more!

Houston has lots of people from all over the world living here because of the energy industry and it has the nation's 2nd biggest port...a very international city...BP's North American headquarters are really just down the street from me. So I sit at bars with people from all over the world and the UK who are all interested in the game. That has helped.

Watching the World Cup over the years has helped...in most major sports, the US is not an underdog; but we are in soccer. It's fun to root for an underdog you feel connected with...a team you feel would have to "shock the world" to win.

I have wanted a rooting interest in the English league for years...but it's difficult to "force" that. Feels contrived. Howard changed that, honestly...and then the kindness and welcome I've received from Everton fans on Twitter has made it even better. Sounds silly, but I feel connected already. I'm an intensely loyal fan to my teams. @StevO, I'm with you entirely...for instance, I love the game of baseball.. but I'm a Houston Astros fan first and foremost. The rest of the league can bite me.

I think soccer is growing in interest here in the States, generally. But it still trails significantly behind American football, baseball and basketball in revenues/viewership/attendance etc. American football has gone beyond being America's favorite sport to being America's favorite entertainment -- last year, I believe 6 of the top 10 most watched TV programs were NFL football games...that's crazy!

There's a joke that soccer has always been the "fastest growing sport in America.." We've heard that refrain for a very, very long time now. It would help if the MLS would grow up. You have multiple teams owned by the same owners..that doesn't play well here (particularly in Houston) as it sets up an inherent conflict of interest. Also, we need more of the big name celebrity players to sign contracts to play here....that would certainly help.

• 1 month later...

Just want to say, I'm all in! :)

Really enjoyed having a rooting interest for opening day of the EPL. My conversations with Everton fans from Twitter and here have made it really easy for me to feel connected immediately. Thanks for that and the warm welcome!

COYB!

One of our networks, NBC, started broadcasting EPL games last year. That helps a lot because it is hard to be into a league in which you can't watch the games. Like a lot of Americans, I played youth soccer and have followed the US Men's National Team since about 1990. But my interest has been increasing every year since probably 2006.

I hate watch baseball--so freaking boring, but what else are you going to watch in the middle of the summer? Big Brother (or some other crap reality show)? I watch as much NBA as possible and follow the NFL closely. If it is sport and it is on TV, I'll probably watch it. I've been watching more and more MLS as well, but I don't have a favorite team. I generally just follow our national team players to check in on how they look.

The major benefit for soccer in the US is that it does not come with concussion problems. In my opinion (hot sports take!), the NFL's popularity has peaked and from here on out fewer youths will play it because of fears of head injury. The scientists are learning more and more about head injuries over time and as it turns out, the every play hits in American football and as detrimental to brain health as the big hits they are trying to remove from the game. To put it starkly: head injuries are inherent to American football. Because of that, soccer stands to gain significantly. The quality of play in the MLS is improving and they've got huge fan bases in some cities (Portland, Seattle, KC, Salt Lake, Columbus and DC). The game is growing, the networks are showing it and parents are pushing their children towards it. So yeah, soccer is gaining quickly in the US.

A lot of people with bad taste pick the major powers--Man U, Arsenal, etc. I do have one friend who is a Fulham fan and follows the Championship division closely. So there are some uber fans around as well.

Just want to say, I'm all in! :)

Really enjoyed having a rooting interest for opening day of the EPL. My conversations with Everton fans from Twitter and here have made it really easy for me to feel connected immediately. Thanks for that and the warm welcome!

COYB!

What's your twitter handle? Mine is @keithb18. Would love to interact with Evertonians on twitter.

@ Verreauxi

I don't know what it's like to be a citizen of a large country, but if I may note one difference with my country; you mention that the majority of US Americans will regard soccer as un-American and I'm sure you're right that this could be an obstruction for the sport to ever really get the same level of support as the big 3 American sports get.

We would never regard the link between the sport and the country's identity as a reason to support or not support a sport. We're a small country of 10 million people, we don't have the luxury to have world class athletes in every disciplin :) Recently we got pretty good at hockey on an international level, so now a whole crowd of sports fans suddenly support hockey too. 10 years ago we emerged as an authority on women's tennis cause of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, so everyone supported that. Basically, we're too small to be good at everything, but whenever something comes up, the whole nation gets behind it :P Is that sad or cute, I don't know, but i just used it to illustrate the difference in spots culture. Belgium will always support 2 sports though: football and cycling, no matter how bad we are at it.

From what I know, I think the UK is right in between the US and Belgian sports culture in that aspect. Correct me if I'm wrong, Englishmen :)

@ Verreauxi

I don't know what it's like to be a citizen of a large country, but if I may note one difference with my country; you mention that the majority of US Americans will regard soccer as un-American and I'm sure you're right that this could be an obstruction for the sport to ever really get the same level of support as the big 3 American sports get.

We would never regard the link between the sport and the country's identity as a reason to support or not support a sport. We're a small country of 10 million people, we don't have the luxury to have world class athletes in every disciplin :) Recently we got pretty good at hockey on an international level, so now a whole crowd of sports fans suddenly support hockey too. 10 years ago we emerged as an authority on women's tennis cause of Kim Clijsters and Justine Henin, so everyone supported that. Basically, we're too small to be good at everything, but whenever something comes up, the whole nation gets behind it :P Is that sad or cute, I don't know, but i just used it to illustrate the difference in spots culture. Belgium will always support 2 sports though: football and cycling, no matter how bad we are at it.

From what I know, I think the UK is right in between the US and Belgian sports culture in that aspect. Correct me if I'm wrong, Englishmen :)

I think it's like that in most places to be honest. You could argue that soccer is not as big of sport in the United States, but you can also see how many Americans became fans of the national team during the World Cup, and subsequently Everton, because Howard plays here.

• 3 weeks later...

Change of tack but something just occurred to me (actually it occurred to my wife and she asked me if I knew the answer but I didn't but I know some people who might) and it fits the thread title.

Many differences in English/American English but the one that grates on me most (other than you lot dropping the "h" sound off "herbs") I think is that you pronounce "route" as "rout" rather than "root". So the question is why, in the song "Route 66", do Chuck Berry or Nat King Cole or whoever pronounce it in the correct English manner?

Change of tack but something just occurred to me (actually it occurred to my wife and she asked me if I knew the answer but I didn't but I know some people who might) and it fits the thread title.

Many differences in English/American English but the one that grates on me most (other than you lot dropping the "h" sound off "herbs") I think is that you pronounce "route" as "rout" rather than "root". So the question is why, in the song "Route 66", do Chuck Berry or Nat King Cole or whoever pronounce it in the correct English manner?

It's pronounced differently depending on where you're from in the US. I actually say it the "root" way, but it's not uncommon to hear "rout" either.

You're spot on with "herb" though, at least to my knowledge.

Just to add to more to this, I'm more conscious of my grammar(or I try to be) and barely have a southern accent compared to the typical "Mississippite," but when I go to a larger city, people can always tell where I'm from. Once, in New York, a store clerk said I was the most southern person she had ever heard in her life. In Mississippi, people ask me where I'm from originally!

Edited by TonkaRoost

Maybe we should all just stick to the word ROAD as you can not mispronounce that Unless you are a Brummie in which case the word is ROW-ED

• 2 weeks later...

2006 World Cup got me into it for real. But I played all growing up till I was in high school.

I love hockey and American football (not that much though, but I watch each week).

Yes it's getting bigger here each year, people know Tim Howard now. Eventually it will be #1 but it's going to take a while, American football has so much ad and marketing revenue they haven't figured out how to pimp soccer yet( sports in America are all about money, hence why I love

the World Cup and things of that nature because I am not a greedy).

Man U because people are stupid and they knew beckham or Ronaldo or for our Latin brothers chicharito. Arsenal I don't know why, cause an American owns them? Lots and lots of spurs fans from friedel and the one year Dempsey had with them.

Okay your statement, grits and clam chowder are 2 different regions. The south and northeast. It would be like saying these 2 English meals and then naming a welsh dish and a Scottish dish. No offense.

Yes I feel you on American sports are cold, it's all about money and greed. A lot of people feel the same as you and enjoy college/university athletics because they say the kids love the game more and so it's pure. I can't dig that because they aren't as good and it's slow.

Love hockey, love soccer, and love the us team, hope we can do the semis at Russia 2018. We just need to find more German Americans and well be fine :)