IGNORED

Modou Barrow

He is a goal scorer. Was impressed when he was att Norrköping but cant remember why he left them. Östersund is way off the radar so ive got no idea about him now. Worth a punt, at the end of the day, if youre a goalscorer with good timing etc it shouldnt really matter where you play. He will score goals if he is given chances.

This is going to sound strange but when he was at Norrköping he was more of a Liniker type player than your typical african striker. Much like Roger Milla.

I think we should. You never know and he is dead cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

But is it necessary for a scout to advertise their presence? They'd probably do better going under the radar.

In Belgium, its the club that is visited by scouts that presents that info to the media. They know which clubs' scouts are attending as they request tickets.

In Belgium, its the club that is visited by scouts that presents that info to the media. They know which clubs' scouts are attending as they request tickets.

Fair enough but would it not be possible for a scout to stump up a few €uros for a ticket through normal channels rather than requesting a freebie, and so not advertise their presence?

Pretty sure a premier league team's budget could cope with it :).

Fair enough but would it not be possible for a scout to stump up a few €uros for a ticket through normal channels rather than requesting a freebie, and so not advertise their presence?

Pretty sure a premier league team's budget could cope with it :).

I'd think so too but apparently it is common among European clubs to do it like that cause from time to time Belgian papers will publish a list of clubs from across Europe (from much smaller and less rich leagues than the PL as well) that are attending. Perhaps its some kind of gentleman's agreement?

But is it necessary for a scout to advertise their presence? They'd probably do better going under the radar.

Sweden is a large country in size but with only 9 mil living there. Journalists that cover a team will generally snoop up if a scout is there and will probably run it.

There is a lot of talk right now around our young players all leaving Sweden far too early to try their luck in other leagues. They would rather get paid in the turkish league or the greek league instead of learning their trade properly in Sweden first. (League is probably every bit as good as the Turkish, greek, belgian league etc but the pay is bad and the taxes worse.)

As that discussion is ongoing, the journos have an extra eye on which scouts attend which games and who they watch. When it comes to Barrow he plays in östersund, in a league that is quite bad so its obvious who the scouts were watching due to the fact that he is 10 times better than anyone else in the league. He did really well in the swedish top flight to tho and i believe he would be a good addition to the Everton squad.

Coached a few teams I'm junior leagues and got taught that if scouts turn up without prior permission we had to ask them to leave.

I was led to believe this is a rule for scouts to stop poaching.

They don't have to say who they are watching though, that would be the easiest thing to lie about.

If anyone reads a book called the nowhere men by a scout, there is a lot of info in that about how scouts are treated. It's a very good read.

Like if a club requests a ticket for a scout they pretty much have to give it in the English leagues.

• 4 weeks later...