IGNORED

What's Everton's ambition?

EdwardPhelan1

Hi, premier league neutral here. Just genuinely interested to know what everyone thinks about Everton's chances this year and the general ambition of the club.

I admire Everton as a well run club who seem to punch above their weight. I mean no disrespect by that and I'm sure many of you will agree your place at the top table is at odds with the money and resources at your disposal.

So assuming you're going to go all out to nab a Champions League spot, is that as good a season as you can have? Is 4th the very best finish, or could you get a higher spot?

And do you have anymore hidden gems up your sleeves. Coleman, Stones etc. Who's next?

To be honest, I don't know how to answer at the moment. We have played some exceptional stuff and in the same game made some absolute howlers.

Depending on which Everton turn up we could be in for 4th and a decent cup run, or mid-table and out of everything by Christmas!

Gems... Dunno to be honest. Oviedo being back will be a huge boost, Im hoping Galloway gets some game time, same with McAleny (when not on loan) and Long.

To say we punch above our weight is quite derogatory in my opinion. Money does not defy a club and man utd will be an example of this by the end of the season.

Arsenal got fourth last year and didn't do well against any of the so called top four sides.

I believe that if we can win most of our games against all else, we will hit top four quite easily. Then the money divide will start to become an insignificance.

You might say that we could achieve something really special by going through the back door.

I honestly think this is our strongest possibility.

The only two teams that are streets ahead of us (and the rest of the league) are City and Chelsea. Those behind are similar. We all have strengths and we all have weaknesses and I think the teams that take the most points in those matches (us, Utd, Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal) will probably finish in 3rd and 4th.

Its difficult to say exactly how our season is going to pan out this season just yet given how erratic our form has been (even within the same game), but I would be disappointed if we werent at least in the hunt for the CL places with half a dozen games to play.

After reading baily's comments I can't help but feel worried about our supporters expectations this season. I feel we will struggle in the league due to our concentration in other competitions.

I really hope Bobby doesn't start getting stick off supporters who get caught up with unreal expectations.

If I'm honest Brett if the players go out there and give it there all and can only finish 17th then so be it and I wouldnt give them a hard time for it. We have a good squad, good depth and we can match any team on our day. We should have beaten Arsenal at a canter and the Chelsea game could have been a far different story.

Its a good point about other competitions but we have shown in the past that it isn't a hindrance. We rotated last season and we will do again this season. I think the main issue we will have to overcome is injuries. If more of our key players get knocks or season ending injuries then we will struggle to overcome that but there is a lot of potential within the squad.

To be honest, I don't know how to answer at the moment. We have played some exceptional stuff and in the same game made some absolute howlers.

Depending on which Everton turn up we could be in for 4th and a decent cup run, or mid-table and out of everything by Christmas!

Gems... Dunno to be honest. Oviedo being back will be a huge boost, Im hoping Galloway gets some game time, same with McAleny (when not on loan) and Long.

Let's be honest they won't make it here Edited by MiguelCotto

After reading baily's comments I can't help but feel worried about our supporters expectations this season. I feel we will struggle in the league due to our concentration in other competitions.

I really hope Bobby doesn't start getting stick off supporters who get caught up with unreal expectations.

Anything below 6th place will be shite for me. Only way that can be made up is via a cup win.

We should be knocking on 4th place. It's not about being unrealistic, it's about maintaining at least.

Guest John Burns

Everton's ambitions as a club are this season:

1. Remain in the Premier League.

2. Get as high up the table as possible.

3. Get a plan secured for the new stadium at Walton Hall Park.