IGNORED

Roy Keane has a pop at the Darkside

He's a belter , I remember the praw sandwich quote at old Trafford , and again only today he's had a pop at old whiskey face ,

Good lad he must be a closet blue

Never got the prawn sandwich comment; he was suggesting anyone who ate one was posh when you can buy one for £1.20 in Tesco's. If he wanted to slag off the corporate "supporters" (which would've been fair enough) then he should have come up with a better foodstuff analogy (eg lobster thermidor/sauted quail testicles).

Like the pop at Ferguson but I still think he's a twat, very glad he never came to Everton in '05.

Never got the prawn sandwich comment; he was suggesting anyone who ate one was posh when you can buy one for £1.20 in Tesco's. If he wanted to slag off the corporate "supporters" (which would've been fair enough) then he should have come up with a better foodstuff analogy (eg lobster thermidor/sauted quail testicles).

Like the pop at Ferguson but I still think he's a twat, very glad he never came to Everton in '05.

yes I agree mike, what do we want with winners.

Guest millwallforever

Back in the 90s - forgot the year - I wrote a letter to Howard Kendall in which I urged him to sign Roy Keane - still a Forest-player. The letter probably never made it as far as to the drunkard in charge, but that is quite beside the point.

I agree that Keane has an unpleasant personality, but he was perhaps the finest defensive midfielder of his generation. I would pick Keane ahead of Gerrard 100 out of 100 times.

Edited by millwallforever

I think he's a great fella. That's not to say I'd get on with him (maybe I would) but I get his dry sense of humour and his unwillingness to go with the grain. He's his own person and that for me is the measure of a man. He relies on nothing but himself and is probably the kind of fella who enjoys his own company better than anyone else's. He says it as it is (or how he sees it). whether that's right or wrong is a different argument. That's good enough for me though.

Edited by MC11

He was one eleventh of a "winner" which gives no guarantee that he would have won anything with us.

He was 100% the man who set out to cripple someone who'd annoyed him.

Not Everton material for me.

No, instead we just made a cult hero out of a thug up front. And laughed when he wrapped his hands around another persons neck and watched him do time.

No, instead we just made a cult hero out of a thug up front. And laughed when he wrapped his hands around another persons neck and watched him do time.

Reading his book at the moment. Very intriguing character - you just can't help but like him. The fact that someone had to go out and research him makes it all that more interesting.

Of the incidents that led to his prison term I don't actually hold him accountable - and I feel that he was very unlucky. The fisherman who he flattened had it coming to him - he tried to goad Ferguson in one bar, he left and went into another where the fisherman and his mates followed them - set on Duncs mate - Dunc basically knocked the lad spark out.

The lad in the taxi queue with crutches? Had been goading Ferguson before the night he hit him. On the said night, the lad insulted Fergusons girlfriend and used his crutches in a threatening manner.

You can't help but admire the way he stood up to Jim Mclean a vile bully of a manager at Dundee United. You seen what he was all about when he hit a TV reporter on live TV.

Dunc just didn't stand any messing, simple as that. Thug? Not really, did he go about bullying people? On the contrary, kids used to try and bully him because he was very quiet as a young lad.

By all accounts his dad is/was a right handful - proper tough.

Not all of us.

The throttle on Freund was actually funny - he had already been given his marching orders and lets be honest Freund deserved it for all his play acting and whining.

The one thing I will say about Dunc is that he never once threw in a disgusting career ending tackle that I can remember.

Yes he got some really daft cards, but all in all its who he was. I remember the way he played as an auxillary defender when gravesen had been sent off in Moyes first game and dominated.

He was an icon for standing up for the team when many were just going through the motions and being bullied. If he was Alan Shearer he would have had half the red cards he did. Shearer boots lennon in the face - nothing. Ferguson prods Mcstay in the face with forehead - 3 months in barlinnie.

Some choice extracts from Roy Keane's book:

Real Madrid offered me a year and a half year deal. Everton, on my doorstep, wanted me to go to them. I met their manager, David Moyes, at his house, and I was impressed by what he said. Bolton also on my doorstep; I met Sam Allardyce, too. But I went to Celtic for fifteen grand basic a week. I know it was a lot of money but Id been earning a lot more. It was a massive pay cut.

I thought I could make a bigger impact at Celtic than I would have at Everton or Madrid. To be honest, I thought it might be a bit easier at Celtic. I knew they would dominate a lot of matches. Ill go up to Celtic, and Ill maybe do a job for a year, a year and a half.

Why didnt I go to Everton? I would have regretted not going to Celtic, and I couldnt go to both. But Everton would have been good. I spoke to Phil Neville, whod moved there earlier in the season. I knew that there were good fitness people there who could have helped me. I liked David Moyes, their manager. The chairman, Bill Kenwright, was very good with Michael in the negotiations. They offered me a lot more than Celtic were paying me. But I think I might have found it hard playing for another English team. Which is stupid, I suppose, because its business. Although I would never summarise my years at United as business. It wasnt business to me.

Everton might have given me another lease of life; I might have had two or three more years there. The system they played would have suited me. I would have been a proper sitting midfielder.

It doesnt keep me awake at night.

On Baines:

On the other hand, I met Leighton Baines at a hotel in Sunderland. He was leaving Wigan. Wed made an offer and it had been accepted. The first thing he said to me was, Roy, if Everton come looking for me, Ill be moving to Everton, because Im an Evertonian.

And I went, Okay.

I appreciated it.

On Aiden McGeady signing for Everton:

Evertons another top club. The day Aiden McGeady signed for them from Spartak Moscow, I was thinking, Great move for you, Aiden. Another Irish lad going to Everton brilliant.

Ironically Gary Neville is one of those in the game known for having a lash. You always do get a little scrawny sod with a 3rd leg!

Always makes me laugh when I remember John Terry talking about Claude Makelele "beer can swinging around in the shower" and Claude was what all of 5ft 5?