IGNORED

home recording PC build

Matt

I'm looking at building my own PC, to finally plug my guitars and bass into and finally get some old tracks down. I'll need max 8 tracks (3 guitars, bass, drum samples if I can find a decent software, maybe synths) for recording.

Question is, whats the hardware and software for recording?

Got a reasonable budget, hopefully, but hoping there are a few gurus here to help :)

First you need to figure out what recording software you want to use. Logic is very simple and intuitive, pro tools is the industry standard but there's a learning curve, others I am not familiar.

Hardware wise a Tascam us-1800 has 8 mic pre's inputs and more outputs and is the cheapest. I used to work for Tascam, quality Japanese company and product. My keys player uses one to record and we haven't had issues. Comes with software but may not be what you want.

Pro tools and logic are now native and can be purchased separately and used with whatever hardware you want.

Software I identified was "Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0 + Sdx Metal Foundry"

Do I really need 8 inputs? I mean physically. Software wise for sure :)

I'm not looking for publishing quality, just good enough to put on CD for keepsake

Edited by Matt

Twenty years since I was in a studio and digital recording was still a fairly neat and new idea.

If you want some prehistoric (analogue) info I'm your man, otherwise forget it :lol:.

Went to a trade exhibition once where they'd recreated Abbey Road Sgt. Pepper era, was amazing in its simplicity....that's probably the level of my knowledge in comparison to today's tech. But I bet we had more fun :P.

I've got a friend who builds PCs so most of the hardware isn't an issue, it's just a matter of choosing the right sound and video card apparently, at least from what I've read. After that its software and a decent audio interface. Reckon it could be done within budget but it will be tight with the OS etc....

should say the build needs to cover video and photo editing for the wife too, just assume the recording setup should sort it comfortably

Edited by Matt

Matt the whole sound card is like 1999-2005. Everyone now just uses an audio interface. It plugs into your computer via usb and has analog to digital converters in it. I recommend m audio, avid, apogee, focus rite, etc. you can buy models with anywhere from 2 to 8 inputs. I think the track count is what you're talking about, it's 2014 you get unlimited in pretty much everything.

Those programs might be plugins, but every software comes with an array of synth drums machines sound Efx pianos etc. just buy an interface with pro tools or logic or cubase and you'll have everything.

So get a mid-road sound card and invest in a decent software?

Matt, if you're only recording for keepsake quality, you could buy something like the Alesis iO2 (about £80) and use a free software like Audacity. I've recorded vocals, guitars, bass on this set-up for demoing. Obviously, you'll need expensive software if you want to do a mix with effects, but that would significantly up the budget. I've used Cubase, Logic, Garageband as well as using all the old 24/48 track SSL desks.

So get a mid-road sound card and invest in a decent software?

Matt no one uses sound cards anymore. It's usb interface. same concept except you don't have to take apart your computer to install it. The usb overrides the built in computer sound card. It has its own sound card built into it that is premium.

M audio makes some very cheap units 2 channel inputs, you can use them with any software. GarageBand, logic, pro tools. Cubase, audacity.

Tascam makes some cheap units as well, those come with free cubase. Avid same thing but comes with pro tools.

what markjazzbassist says.

Get an m-audio interface or something like a zoom h6 (what i've got and cubase comes free with it). You can get a decent interface set up with software for 300-400 quid, less if you get one second hand and use audacity.

Still get a decent sound card like, good to have anyway.

if you're just recording yourself multi-tracked you just need like 2 inputs max. the program software will have unlimited tracks so you can layer stuff. also most programs (pro tools does) come with software instruments. meaning you'll have all the drum machines, keyboards, synths, organs, pianos, guitar sound, sound efx, etc. already, don't need to get that stuff, it's built into the recording software now. just buy an interface and a midi controller keyboard (might want mpc pads for drums) and your'e there.

• 2 weeks later...

What if you have zero equipment to date (besides instruments)? What's a good recording software and plug in?

If that is the case you want a midi keyboard/controller, and then something like an Maudio, avid, focusrite, Tascam, etc.

All interfaces come with softwares and the interfaces are pretty much the same thing it just depends on your input and output needs for analog instruments.

No real right or wrong answer. Has more to do with the software preferences. They all come with tons of plugins now so it's just ease of use and flow.

• 2 months later...

Finally got my USB interface for linking the instruments to the computer, but having a real bitch of a time installing the software! 3 separate websites, a USB key and aligning them all is a nightmare. Still not got it working after 3 hours :(

what interface and softwares. i'm guessing you are PC windows?

Win 7, ended up getting an Avid M-Track quad (duo was sold out and only ended up paying 10 more for this, instead of 50), which came with Pro Tools Express.

First it told me I needed to install Quicktime (easy enough), then to get the licence onto the computer, I have to create an Avid user and an iLok account, download iLok manager and somehow transfer the licence (apparently stored on the USB key). Whatever happened to putting a CD in and pressing "install" (you have to do that too)

Oh, and the additional instrument packs are a 2GB download, not part of the CD package. Its a joke.

Had enough for now, still no close to hooking everything up. I'm going to play with my new pedals instead and make evil noises :)

Edited by Matt