IGNORED

How many points will see us safe this season?

Hafnia

Incorrect answer - we can finish on the same points and survive through goal difference. Serves you right for being pedantic.

I'm going with 35

It was a correct answer haf. It's just that there are numerous different ways to stay up. I mentioned one. That's what you get for being argumentative.

Ive just tried to predict the rest of the results this season at https://www.thesportspredictor.com and I have us finishing on 36 points and still getting 14th!

1 Chelsea 38 53 96

2 Man City 38 44 85

3 Arsenal 38 30 76

4 Liverpool 38 21 76

5 Man Utd 38 21 68

6 Southampton 38 24 67

7 Tottenham 38 10 67

8 West Ham 38 12 59

9 Newcastle 38 -13 49

10 Swansea 38 -10 48

11 Stoke 38 -7 47

12 C Palace 38 -10 42

13 Aston Villa 38 -25 37

14 Everton 38 -10 36

15 West Brom 38 -21 35

16 Sunderland 38 -23 33

17 Burnley 38 -28 33

18 QPR 38 -23 32

19 Hull 38 -20 29

20 Leicester 38 -25 25

So according to that 33 would be enough!

Edited by duncanmckenzieismagic

It was a correct answer haf. It's just that there are numerous different ways to stay up. I mentioned one. That's what you get for being argumentative.

Blimey not in the best of moods today? how many points will one more than the bottom 3 be?

Edited by Hafnia

Ive just tried to predict the rest of the results this season at https://www.thesportspredictor.com and I have us finishing on 36 points and still getting 14th!

1 Chelsea 38 53 96

2 Man City 38 44 85

3 Arsenal 38 30 76

4 Liverpool 38 21 76

5 Man Utd 38 21 68

6 Southampton 38 24 67

7 Tottenham 38 10 67

8 West Ham 38 12 59

9 Newcastle 38 -13 49

10 Swansea 38 -10 48

11 Stoke 38 -7 47

12 C Palace 38 -10 42

13 Aston Villa 38 -25 37

14 Everton 38 -10 36

15 West Brom 38 -21 35

16 Sunderland 38 -23 33

17 Burnley 38 -28 33

18 QPR 38 -23 32

19 Hull 38 -20 29

20 Leicester 38 -25 25

So according to that 33 would be enough!

33 points for safety? Someone on talk sport predicted it would be low. We need it to be.

Looking at the table just now it seems to me that it'll be a very low number this year. Leicester, QPR and Burnley are losing touch and none of them (on current form) look capable of getting thirty points, never mind forty. All big odds-on with the bookies to go down.

So I'll go out on a limb and say thirty-two will be safe.

Looking at the table just now it seems to me that it'll be a very low number this year. Leicester, QPR and Burnley are losing touch and none of them (on current form) look capable of getting thirty points, never mind forty. All big odds-on with the bookies to go down.

So I'll go out on a limb and say thirty-two will be safe.

When I posted 3 weeks ago on the Relegation thread that 36 would do, maybe 35, I thought that was bold. Now, even though your prediction here is 3 weeks later, it's not as if our boys have done much to help themselves recently, so your prediction here is much bolder. The bookies, I'll assume, do not specify that those 3 will go down at 31 points or fewer.

So, we'd have to get those 4 points from home matches with Sunderland and Burnley, right?

When I posted 3 weeks ago on the Relegation thread that 36 would do, maybe 35, I thought that was bold. Now, even though your prediction here is 3 weeks later, it's not as if our boys have done much to help themselves recently, so your prediction here is much bolder. The bookies, I'll assume, do not specify that those 3 will go down at 31 points or fewer.

So, we'd have to get those 4 points from home matches with Sunderland and Burnley, right?

No they don't.

Just my guesswork, though if I'd left it until after the Burnley/City result I may have shifted up a point or two.

I'm hoping we'll have "those" four points by next Sunday, but QPR away holds bad memories for me; even in our pomp in the eighties it was a bogey ground for us. Been to Loftus Road many times and I don't think I've ever seen us win there; one game in particular when we were the dogs bollocks (85/86) and they were awful I went there ultra confident and we were three down at half time (finished the same way)!

(Team that day Southall, Bracewell, Heath, Lineker, Mountfield, Ratcliffe, Reid, Sharp, Steven, Stevens, Van Den Hauwe)

Think 34-35 points will ensure survival. My thoughts on the opposition:

Leicester haven't looked awful, but haven't been able to get results. They are too far down in my opinion to save themselves barring some sort of miracle.

QPR- look in absolute shambles. They aren't mathematically too far out and their run in isn't impossible, but their form is just so pathetic. They don't look like they will survive to me.

Burnley- have a tough next 4 or 5 matches followed by a manageable last 4-5 matches. They lack true quality, but have a great spirit. I think they have a chance, but they'll need to steal a few points from the big boys in the next few matches in order to be level/even going into the last matches.

Sunderland- God knows. They are always impossible to predict. Their run in isn't impossible, but not easy. Their squad has a little bit of quality, but not that much. They've drawn so many matches that this could save them if the others around them continue to struggle, but sink them if those around them pick up a few wins. No idea about this bunch.

Hull- had an awful run of form earlier in the season but have begun to play better. Steve Bruce is the kind of man to lead relegation fighters and their squad has the fight for a relegation battle, but their run in looks the toughest of anyones. I could see them sinking purely based on the run in, but I hope for better.

VIlla- thought they were doomed until Sherwood suddenly started getting results out of a squad that was pathetic most of the season. We'll see if this has all been "new managers effect" and if their form goes to crap soon, or if Sherwood will continue to get them to perform and steer them clear. I think they'll survive.