IGNORED

Women's World Cup

I don't think this was phrased as delicately as it could have been:

Elsewhere, reactions can be even more extreme. Colombia captain Andrés Escobar scored an own goal in the 1994 World Cup and saw his side eliminated in a match against the USA.

A month later, while the World Cup was still being played, he was shot six times in the back and died in an attack that was widely accepted as revenge at the time (but has since been linked to organised crime).

It’s a universal truth that we tend to only remember the bad times – the sporting misses and injustices. We can’t go about changing our cultural identity now.

But if we really want men and women’s football to be on a level playing field – as has been the rallying cry throughout the Women’s World Cup - then we need to treat all players in the same way.

Anything else is sexism.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11712922/Womens-World-Cup-2015-Our-sympathy-for-Laura-Bassett-is-sexist.html

makes it sound like if they don't gun down the lass from england, they did it because they were sexist. strange article and wording you're right.

If I'm honest I think people are understanding and sympathetic because does anyone really care if we won or lost?

It's not like currys are doing tv deals and fosters are selling crates of lager with fans getting world cup fever....,

It's kinda patronizing not sexist. A bit like no one gives a shit enough to be pisssed off.

If I'm honest I think people are understanding and sympathetic because does anyone really care if we won or lost?

It's not like currys are doing tv deals and fosters are selling crates of lager with fans getting world cup fever....,

It's kinda patronizing not sexist. A bit like no one gives a shit enough to be pisssed off.

that's sad. all my fellow employees are wearing US kit on game days and half of them don't even barely follow soccer! People who aren't even sports fans are watchign the matches and just getting caught up in the fever!

England has done an amazing job this tourney, kudos and applause to them for getting so far. 3rd place is still within reach.

that's sad. all my fellow employees are wearing US kit on game days and half of them don't even barely follow soccer! People who aren't even sports fans are watchign the matches and just getting caught up in the fever!

England has done an amazing job this tourney, kudos and applause to them for getting so far. 3rd place is still within reach.

I think it's a symptom of the elitist mentality that is a problem with the men's international team.

You English are a funny bunch (what's the deal with crumpets?). Ladies first ever place and beat 1st ranked Germany, and no one cares.

I'll have you know I care about them very deeply! Crumpets are brilliant, specially with Marmite.

I'm pleased they got the third (or second runner-up in US-speak) but heroic loser is not much to celebrate. We got great viewing figures through the whole tournament so it's raised the profile among the general population but among your average hard-core club fan (eg TT members) it's a bit irrelevant.

I'll have you know I care about them very deeply! Crumpets are brilliant, specially with Marmite.

I'm pleased they got the third (or second runner-up in US-speak) but heroic loser is not much to celebrate. We got great viewing figures through the whole tournament so it's raised the profile among the general population but among your average hard-core club fan (eg TT members) it's a bit irrelevant.

Lol, never been a fan of crumpets, I gues its what you grow up with.

Well I'm glad you're proud mike, you have every right to be. Great match and one mistake aside it could have been the final. Who knows maybe next WC it will be?

Yeah the runners up thing is stupid, third runner up second runner up first runner up, I'm with you! it's ludicrous.

We got great viewing figures through the whole tournament so it's raised the profile among the general population but among your average hard-core club fan (eg TT members) it's a bit irrelevant.

I don't think they were that great considering it was on BBC - less than 2 million watched the Japan game and that was on BBC 1 (albeit at midnight).

I don't think they were that great considering it was on BBC - less than 2 million watched the Japan game and that was on BBC 1 (albeit at midnight).

How many midnight programmes get two million viewers? I think the figures were probably much higher than they expected.