IGNORED

Everton Defence?

Seriously, we need to replace Howard, might as well do it now as we have little left to play for this season.

Need to bench Stones for a while, he needs to get his head right, and if that isn't going to happen because he wants to leave then sell him and get 2 good CB's in, or by one and give one of our younger players a chance.

Need confidence and that will come from doing the above.

Need to get a better defensive coach, as clearly the ones we have are not having the desired effect.

Seriously, we need to replace Howard, might as well do it now as we have little left to play for this season.

Need to bench Stones for a while, he needs to get his head right, and if that isn't going to happen because he wants to leave then sell him and get 2 good CB's in, or by one and give one of our younger players a chance.

Need confidence and that will come from doing the above.

Need to get a better defensive coach, as clearly the ones we have are not having the desired effect.

Preachin' to the choir. I'm in - where do I sign?

I have defended Martinez since he came here thinking he would turn it around but yesterday was the last straw for me. He hasn't learned a thing and our defence is still leaking in goals left, right and center. The players should take some of the responsibility but the main issue is obviously how Martinez coaches them. Looking at them as individual players, most teams would bite our hand off for them.

Coleman (32 Irish caps, One of the best full backs in the Premiership)

Stones (7 England caps, potential to be one of the best Centre halves England has produced)

Jagielka (Club captain and 38 England caps, played over 250 premier league games for us)

Baines (30 England caps, over 260 appearances and one of the best left backs in the league)

Funes Mori (5 caps for Argentina, now a regular at CB for them, left footed, looks a very good defender)

Barry (Over 50 caps for England, 3rd in the all time Premiership appearances behind Lampard and Giggs)

McCarthy (33 Irish caps, would play in most premiership sides)

Besic (23 Bosnian caps, still young but looks to be a very good midfielder)

You can even throw in those I haven't mentioned such as Oviedo, Galloway, Garbutt and Browning and make a case for them as well. My point here is those players above are good defenders and would walk into most sides. They're obviously managed poorly cause there is no way we should be conceding so many goals with the ability they have. The goalkeeper situation doesn't help as Howard is way past it and Martinez is the only one that's naive and arrogant enough to ignore this. If Howard makes any mistakes then it's Martinez to blame for not resolving the situation by either signing a new goalkeeper if he feels Robles isn't cut out or playing Robles who has done well when he's played. Make or break for him on Wednesday. His biggest game of his managerial time here.

Ill probably get slated for this but i actually think we lack any real 'defenders'. IMO we only have Jagielka who is an actual defender. Baines and Coleman are both shaky defensively, both of their strengths are going forward. Mori cant really be judged so early i don't think. As for Stones, i think most Evertonian's have believed the over-hype, the odd turn and step over doesn't make a defender.

Stones isn't over hyped, he is THAT good. He's just believing the hype and making mistakes.

He's playing HIS game but it's not what we need right now.

John needs to learn that there's a time and place, but at the moment his head is so far up his arse because of all the speculation, that he doesn't even know what day it is (looking at him).

John IS naturally one of the best defenders in the world. At present, he's playing badly, for one reason or another. There is no "over hype", it's just.

Stones isn't over hyped, he is THAT good. He's just believing the hype and making mistakes.

He's playing HIS game but it's not what we need right now.

John needs to learn that there's a time and place, but at the moment his head is so far up his arse because of all the speculation, that he doesn't even know what day it is (looking at him).

John IS naturally one of the best defenders in the world. At present, he's playing badly, for one reason or another. There is no "over hype", it's just.

How can you say 'he is that good'? our record speaks for itself, he makes an awful lot of poor decisions and mistakes. People get excited when he takes on a few players and picks out a pass, but defensively he is lacking. He needs to be dropped for a few games imo.

Anyhow its all opinions, thats just mine.

How can you say 'he is that good'? our record speaks for itself, he makes an awful lot of poor decisions and mistakes. People get excited when he takes on a few players and picks out a pass, but defensively he is lacking. He needs to be dropped for a few games imo.

Anyhow its all opinions, thats just mine.

Have you only started watching us this season? If so, then I agree that's how it looks. But it's form. He's in a complete ruck and the manager isn't helping him. If the crowd are getting on his back (rightfully so), the manager needs to pull him and get his head right. Before this year (and even at the very beginning) he was a class apart (hence all the hype and media attention). I have no doubts that it is that hype, that's crippling his confidence and decision making. The same happened to Ross last season, the pressure to perform was HUGE. He was terrible all year. This year, the pressure was off and he returned to his awesome potential.

Our players are young and seemingly terrible at performing under pressure.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. John will be one of the best defenders in the world, just depends on where he ends up.

Have you only started watching us this season? If so, then I agree that's how it looks. But it's form. He's in a complete ruck and the manager isn't helping him. If the crowd are getting on his back (rightfully so), the manager needs to pull him and get his head right. Before this year (and even at the very beginning) he was a class apart (hence all the hype and media attention). I have no doubts that it is that hype, that's crippling his confidence and decision making. The same happened to Ross last season, the pressure to perform was HUGE. He was terrible all year. This year, the pressure was off and he returned to his awesome potential.

Our players are young and seemingly terrible at performing under pressure.

Form is temporary, class is permanent. John will be one of the best defenders in the world, just depends on where he ends up.

Iv always been watching mate, i just think its very early days to put a £50m price tag on him and to label him as 'class' to me he is still unproven. i know the tactics are down to the manager but its the players decision to take silly risks on the ball. Last year he cost us in a few games and this season hes been poor for the majority.

Stones will go on to be one of the best defenders in the world, I would put my house on that.

But at the moment he is making the mistakes of a young player, believing his own publicity, and as with all young players being inconsistent.

He needs to be benched and we need to play Galloway or Jags for a while.

Stones will go on to be one of the best defenders in the world, I would put my house on that.

But at the moment he is making the mistakes of a young player, believing his own publicity, and as with all young players being inconsistent.

He needs to be benched and we need to play Galloway or Jags for a while.

Totally agree.

He's absolute class. He's just having a bit of a mare recently for whatever reason.

The defending isn't the problem it's the attitude. Look at all the goals, the majority are individual errors coming from a lack of focus.

Not helped by other teams believing they can score easily against us, giving them confidence to do so.

Man U won the league with individuals who would struggle to get into the other top 7 teams, but they had the mentality to win and not concede... (plus the ref).

Keeper needs to change, he's been found out and it gives the opposition a boost when he plays. Other than that we need to work on our pressing.

Main source of our soft team is the manager. He had to put pressure on players to perform. Geeks aside, you need pressure to get the most out of people.

I had to laugh though as I read the BBC report on their Football web page. The best they could manage was Everton V Swansea under the title "Welsh Football"

If the season is not bad enough !!!! Thanks for the above comments. Still think it is the manager that bears the brunt of the responsibly..... is he that arrogant?? JM

Edited by jollymillar