IGNORED

He moved!

Not so many years ago, the ref would demand a penalty be retaken if the goalkeeper moved before the ball was kicked. Nowadays, it seems that rule has either been thrown out or is being ignored - rather like the time and number of steps a goalkeeper can take when holding the ball. Joel Robles clearly moved to his left before saving the penalty this weekend. Of course, I'm please the penalty was not retaken, but what is the rule these days?

I thought the rule was your not supposed to come off your line Robles didn't seem to move his feet just his body which is obviously allowed you can't stay stiff as a board

The same applied to players running up and stop starting but you still see it often

For me players should move continuously to the ball or strike it first time and the keeper should be on his line you can't apply one without the other IMO

And what about the time and number of steps allowed when the keeper has the ball in his hands?

I don't remember the number of steps ever being an issue, but it used to be they could only have hold of the ball for 6 seconds before they had to get rid of it. That was hardly ever enforced anyway and was probably just quietly taken out of the laws.

And what about the time and number of steps allowed when the keeper has the ball in his hands?

Interesting FIFA article from 1997 about the evolution of goalkeeping laws.

http://www.fifa.com/news/y=1997/m=10/news=goalkeepers-are-not-above-the-law-72050.html

I'm surprised that as recently as that the "four step" rule was still in use, it certainly isn't any more but surprisingly I can find no date when is was rescinded (though it certainly was because I remember it happening).

Six second rule is still in force. From Rule 12 of the laws of the game.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:
controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession
touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his possession and before it has touched another player
touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate
Strange that by the letter of the law time wasting should lead to a free kick when in reality the 'keeper is given a yellow card and told to get on with it.

Interesting FIFA article from 1997 about the evolution of goalkeeping laws.

http://www.fifa.com/news/y=1997/m=10/news=goalkeepers-are-not-above-the-law-72050.html

I'm surprised that as recently as that the "four step" rule was still in use, it certainly isn't any more but surprisingly I can find no date when is was rescinded (though it certainly was because I remember it happening).

Six second rule is still in force. From Rule 12 of the laws of the game.

An indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession

touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his possession and before it has touched another player

touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate

touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

Strange that by the letter of the law time wasting should lead to a free kick when in reality the 'keeper is given a yellow card and told to get on with it.

Surely a yellow card for 'time wasting' is not relevant to any of the above? It is usually given for the goalkeeper taking a long time over a goal kick or free kick.

Surely a yellow card for 'time wasting' is not relevant to any of the above? It is usually given for the goalkeeper taking a long time over a goal kick or free kick.

Fair enough but when was the last time you saw a free-kick for a 'keeper holding the ball for too long? I can't remember one.